Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750991 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9900 on: August 29, 2014, 08:32:37 am »

London, a good place to live? That's just crazy talk. Not enough work and too many easily replaceable workers, no rights, no health care, no work safety, no social services, wage slavery, debtor's prisons, insanely harsh punishments for even small crimes, smog everywhere, vermin everywhere, diseases everywhere, horseshit everywhere.

Sounds like a lovely place.
WHat horseshit? Oh you were talking about the 19th century?
Well at least now one of those problems is gone.
Wait, there is smog over London? I thought Thatcher had successfully blown up all factories in London?
._.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9901 on: August 29, 2014, 08:35:04 am »

London, a good place to live? That's just crazy talk. Not enough work and too many easily replaceable workers, no rights, no health care, no work safety, no social services, wage slavery, debtor's prisons, insanely harsh punishments for even small crimes, smog everywhere, vermin everywhere, diseases everywhere, horseshit everywhere.

Sounds like a lovely place.
WHat horseshit? Oh you were talking about the 19th century?
Well at least now one of those problems is gone.
Wait, there is smog over London? I thought Thatcher had successfully blown up all factories in London?
well it's not visible smog anymore, but it's no less toxic:
'Up to 9% of deaths in London caused by air pollution'
The statistics are MUCH worse for beijing and other places however.
This link is rather more informative.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:37:13 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9902 on: August 29, 2014, 08:35:53 am »

French and German pollution

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9903 on: August 29, 2014, 08:38:59 am »

Damn Frenchies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: August 29, 2014, 08:40:39 am »

I thought your countries were democracies? That the people's will is something which is listened to? Or is it just a lie?

Not sure what the propaganda you are being fed is saying, but nobody in the west wants a war with Russia, and not a single leader is pushing for one - a war simply would not gain anyone votes. What we want is for Russia to leave the situation in Ukraine alone, as naive and futile such a hope is.

What makes you think Russia will not defeat itself by involving itself in shady interventions and eventually biting off more than it can chew? A few thousand Russian troops in Ukraine is small potatoes compared to other geopolitical issues currently at the forefront of the minds of those making decisions, compared to Iraq/Syria/ISIS and Israel/Hamas. As for historical precedent, out of little more than vanity it broke itself during the cold war - is this history starting to repeat itself? The Afghan war is another such example.
This is a blank sig.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9905 on: August 29, 2014, 08:43:31 am »

Afghan is not located in Europe, though.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9906 on: August 29, 2014, 08:46:42 am »

Does it have to be? I mean, when Russia/USSR invaded there, it bit off more than it could chew and retreated with its tail between its legs, like everyone who ever invaded the place has had to. Just goes to show that Russia is more than capable of defeating itself.
This is a blank sig.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: August 29, 2014, 08:49:02 am »

But Germany has a huge armaments industry that wants customers, and as long as no Germans die, our public opinion will remain indifferent. The situation in the other countries is similar. Europe has the equipment, Ukraine has the soldiers, and Russia can't use its air force.
Go ahead, send us your cannonfodder.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9908 on: August 29, 2014, 09:06:10 am »

Hey, guys who know how macroeconomics work. Is it true that devaluation of national currency is good for export-oriented economy? I have heard that many times but suspect that this is not so simple
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:12 am »

it's quite simple

you're paying your workers and buying raw materials in currency that's worth less, and selling your finished goods in places whose currency is worth more

exchange foreign currency back into local, you're left with more than you'd get in the domestic market

can't ask for more really

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9910 on: August 29, 2014, 09:32:01 am »

Does it have to be? I mean, when Russia/USSR invaded there, it bit off more than it could chew and retreated with its tail between its legs, like everyone who ever invaded the place has had to. Just goes to show that Russia is more than capable of defeating itself.

To be fair, the British Empire got defeated like five times in there, and it was at it's height of power.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9911 on: August 29, 2014, 09:45:58 am »

To be fair, the British Empire got defeated like five times in there, and it was at it's height of power.
Defeated once, then just the regular bloody stalemates Afghanistan is famed for with minor victories for the British. Afghanistan is pretty impressive as a country that has spent the last 2000 years bloodying world powers. Never occupy China, never invade Russia in winter, never invade Switzerland, above all never invade Afghanistan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9912 on: August 29, 2014, 09:58:12 am »

I thought your countries were democracies? That the people's will is something which is listened to? Or is it just a lie?

Not sure what the propaganda you are being fed is saying, but nobody in the west wants a war with Russia, and not a single leader is pushing for one - a war simply would not gain anyone votes.
The West hasn't started any wars with Russia over the past years only because the potential costs of the war greatly outweighed the benefits - the main concern is not about losing votes, it's about not getting nuked to oblivion. If any politician in Washington D.C. decides that Russia can be defeated easily with minimal losses for the US, especially if the Russian nuclear arsenal can be effectively neutralized (*cough* *cough* European missile shield), then it's another matter entirely.
Historical records show at least two examples of politicians who decided to attack Russia after steamrolling numerous smaller countries with weaker militaries. They thought that the Russian military force was so inferior that the potential losses for their country would be negligible. It didn't work well for them. There are no guarantees that it won't happen again.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:01:12 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: August 29, 2014, 10:04:32 am »

You see... both that wars were "West" vs "West"  with Russia being an ally of one of "Wests"

Lets imagine an impossible scenario:
1941, summer. Great Britain declares that USSR is a worse evil and not only sings peace with Germany, but joins war with Russia on their side. USA provides both with weapons and\or joins itself. Oh, and Japan attacks from the east

If you think that mighty Russia would have a single chance in a war like that, you are brainless. And that is an analogue of Russia vs "West" war.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:17:25 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9914 on: August 29, 2014, 10:18:13 am »

UR, ad hominems.
Pages: 1 ... 659 660 [661] 662 663 ... 1393