Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750669 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9825 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:02 pm »

Putin's army is not Russian. It is full of Soviet zombies.

OOCQing that, because it sounds way awesomer than reality.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: August 28, 2014, 01:46:25 pm »

I'm just baffled by the total indifference from Europe to this whole invasion thing

you see somewhere deep down in my soul i want the europe to help ukraine militarily and thus am trying to encourage the fellow europeans to do something about us

but it seems to me now that europe is a bunch of spineless coward who cannot protect a fellow future european country

and that is sad
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: August 28, 2014, 02:01:41 pm »

Sergarr, as you quoted it, I know you read Frumple's post in the US politics thread. It sums up quite nicely why the EU or US has done nothing overt yet. Nothing has occurred that truly makes us care enough yet. The US/NATO/EU not caring is probably not a good thing, but at this moment in time, other than maybe making things worse, what else could come of any form of intervention?
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9828 on: August 28, 2014, 02:05:36 pm »

but it seems to me now that europe is a bunch of spineless coward who cannot protect a fellow future european country

and that is sad
Just about sums it up really.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: August 28, 2014, 02:09:46 pm »

This is a very bad slippery slope, MonkeyHead. A very, very, very bad slippery slope.

Basically it shows that every single country that is not in NATO and has, or will have, a land border with Russia is completely and utterly fucked.
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: August 28, 2014, 02:13:02 pm »

It may be - all that depends on how far Russia will push its luck, and how much it takes for the leadership of NATO/EU/USA to start giving a shit.

I honestly think that Russia/Putin will not go all "mad eastern landgrab" and that the current situation is one of opportunism rather than anything. I think that the relevant leaders also assume or at least hope this. Nobody wants a large, long drawn out war - all sides know this. Russia, or at least the current leadership regime, will be the loser if it does incur the ire of the west, and they damn well know it so will stop short of direct provocation, hence all the current cloak and dagger support of the rebels within Ukraine.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:18:56 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: August 28, 2014, 02:16:26 pm »

One of the Primary Reasons, the European Union, The Council and all those international organistions were founded was the idea that war in Europe should never, ever occur again.

That idea is still lives rather strong within Europe.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9832 on: August 28, 2014, 02:17:43 pm »

I'm just baffled by the total indifference from Europe to this whole invasion thing
What indifference? At least in German media the tone has shifted quite a bit with the recent developments.

It's clear that you can't wage open war with a nuclear power, so obviously there is not going to be much military help for Ukraine. That was absolutely clear from the beginning, what else would you expect? Stealth war on both sides? That wouldn't work out as long as all the proxy wars of the past...

There will be more sanctions though (slow as the EU is, talks begin next weekend), and probably NATO troops all along the Eastern Border, some time in the future.
Massive sanctions are difficult to get through, as that might cost people money and jobs and thus lead to politicians not being re-elected. But since it is the only thing that can realistically be done and nobody trusts Putin anymore, it's likely to happen.

Basically it shows that every single country that is not in NATO and has, or will have, a land border with Russia is completely and utterly fucked.
True. And who's fault is that? Putin is pretty much leading Russia back behind the Iron Curtain.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: August 28, 2014, 02:22:27 pm »

UN security council is meeting now. Not sure that'll accomplish much...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9834 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:00 pm »

Quote from: Sergarr

Especially China :D
Invading North Korea would be fun, too

As for help from Europe.... All I ask for - Real Sanctions, just to show that international law is a real thing

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: August 28, 2014, 02:30:22 pm »

About tone shifts in media: how many people now even remember consciously about the Boeing catastrophe now? Just after one month, it has fallen completely out of media space. The rebels have killed 300 people, and everybody forgot about it just after a month.

I'm not sure if this tone shift won't get overshadowed after two weeks by something else, like ISIS fighting. I've seen a lot of news about them.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9836 on: August 28, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »

As for help from Europe.... All I ask for - Real Sanctions, just to show that international law is a real thing
How about weapons? Or even direct assistance with our air force - if Russia claims not to be involved, they can't shoot them down from within Russian territory, making air superiority much easier to achieve...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: August 28, 2014, 02:40:02 pm »

About tone shifts in media: how many people now even remember consciously about the Boeing catastrophe now? Just after one month, it has fallen completely out of media space. The rebels have killed 300 people, and everybody forgot about it just after a month.

I'm not sure if this tone shift won't get overshadowed after two weeks by something else, like ISIS fighting. I've seen a lot of news about them.
The report's coming out in September, isn't it? It'll retake the stage soon.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9838 on: August 28, 2014, 02:43:21 pm »

Just because a lot of people forget fast, especially if it doesn't concern them directly, doesn't mean the important people do too. The flashy short attention span news sites are not that interesting, but if even the parts of the left that have always defended Russia call for EU sanctions, that might imply long-term shifts in political thinking. Putin might win a war against Ukraine, but he is alienating a lot of people and losing goodwill very fast.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: August 28, 2014, 02:51:52 pm »

Wasn't the same happening in 2008, during the war with Georgia?
._.
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1393