Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749988 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9570 on: August 25, 2014, 09:22:45 am »

I don't doubt the website, I doubt Chomsky.

Well, that's just your opinion.
Are you a Nobel prize winner, and honorary emeritus professor at a renowned science institute, regarded by many academics as one of the most prominent intellectuals presently alive?

your statement would carry far more weight if you bothered deliver links behind every single part of it

because y'know

lazy wizerds

(that last one though)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: August 25, 2014, 09:24:43 am »

I don't doubt the website, I doubt Chomsky.

Well, that's just your opinion.
Are you a Nobel prize winner, and honorary emeritus professor at a renowned science institute, regarded by many academics as one of the most prominent intellectuals presently alive?

No, but I disagree with him! I only trust sources that agree with me.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: August 25, 2014, 09:26:43 am »

your statement would carry far more weight if you bothered deliver links behind every single part of it

because y'know

lazy wizerds

(that last one though)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noam_Chomsky

Apparently it was not the Nobel Prize, but the Kyoto Prize for Basic Sciences, which awards fields of science, in this case linguistics, that are not included in the Nobel prize repertoire.

http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780199772810/obo-9780199772810-0142.xml

just a few quotes: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/n/noam_chomsky.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:38:07 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: August 25, 2014, 09:28:40 am »

In unrelated news, France is still having financial problems. Also, they just removed most of their government cabinet (and the new one will be announced tomorrow).

Article
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: August 25, 2014, 09:40:05 am »

Hollande deserve a "Juda award" for the wonderfull treason of his electorate. He was elected to put an end to Sarkozy's strategy of austerity, and did just the opposite.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: August 25, 2014, 09:44:57 am »

Yeah, Chomsky isn't terribly reliable. I distinctly recall him praising Pol Pot and claiming that the Killing Fields were a capitalist fabrication back in the day.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:14 am »

In unrelated news, France is still having financial problems. Also, they just removed most of their government cabinet (and the new one will be announced tomorrow).

Article

Yeah, I was kinda surprised to read that today. Didn't see that coming. Then again, I do not really follow French politics. Apparently our main news channel doesn't either, or we'd at least have known something was brewing there.
Knowing the French though, they'll have a new cabinet up and running soon enough. Vive la France tends to translate to 'the show must go on' in their world of politics, from what I've seen. It's not like Belgium, where they sometimes need more than a year for that haha. I'm curious though, if the new cabinet will have more pro- or more anti-EU sentiment though. I believe this little crisis sparked when a certain minister spoke out against Merkel setting most of the course of Europe's economical policies.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: August 25, 2014, 09:55:39 am »

Yeah, Chomsky isn't terribly reliable. I distinctly recall him praising Pol Pot and claiming that the Killing Fields were a capitalist fabrication back in the day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cambodian_genocide_denial

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: August 25, 2014, 10:05:30 am »

Apparently it was not the Nobel Prize, but the Kyoto Prize for Basic Sciences, which awards fields of science, in this case linguistics, that are not included in the Nobel prize repertoire.

And if people wished to discuss linguistics, I would consider Chomsky a very useful expert to quote.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: August 25, 2014, 10:13:29 am »

And if people wished to discuss linguistics, I would consider Chomsky a very useful expert to quote.

Exactly. Invoking a famous person only works if the person is, you know, actually an authority IN THE FIELD BEING DISCUSSED. Otherwise it's just an empty appeal to authority, with about as much logical value as Godwinning.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: August 25, 2014, 11:04:20 am »

Article

Yeah, I was kinda surprised to read that today. Didn't see that coming. Then again, I do not really follow French politics. Apparently our main news channel doesn't either, or we'd at least have known something was brewing there.
Knowing the French though, they'll have a new cabinet up and running soon enough. Vive la France tends to translate to 'the show must go on' in their world of politics, from what I've seen. It's not like Belgium, where they sometimes need more than a year for that haha. I'm curious though, if the new cabinet will have more pro- or more anti-EU sentiment though. I believe this little crisis sparked when a certain minister spoke out against Merkel setting most of the course of Europe's economical policies.
Speaking of which, Belgian government formation is on going.

FYI, the elections were in may

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: August 25, 2014, 11:16:35 am »

You may want to refresh your memory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mNGk_4GGaBM#t=1982
From 33:10 for the next 15 minutes he talks about exactly this issue and such allegations.
It requries some remarkable mental actobatics to twist it into praise.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: August 25, 2014, 11:27:39 am »

Who needs governments?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: August 25, 2014, 12:41:30 pm »

Who needs governments?
People who don't want to be conquered by aggressive neighbors.

meanwhile the Army of Novaya Russia are currently on the major counter offensive. Not the best source possible, but it is happening too fast for normal media to catch up...
._.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: August 25, 2014, 12:44:44 pm »

Someone should go tell Fogh Rasmussen it's time to send in NATO troops to push the separatists out of Ukraine. Enough with the sternly written letters. Enough with the weak sanctions. Troops in. NOW.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 1393