Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749548 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9405 on: August 21, 2014, 01:28:12 pm »

Then that is still a democratic vote. However, after rules without consensus are imposed by the elected dictator, it is no longer a democracy. But yes, voting Hitler in was a democratic decision.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9406 on: August 21, 2014, 01:45:13 pm »

Considering that all the opposition to Hitler was either outlawed, exiled, or arrested, it can be hardly considered "democratic" by our standards, as there was no real alternative left to the nazis. Some countries still use the same scheme. No opposition - no problem.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9407 on: August 21, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »

Nobody is saying Germany was democratic during Hitler's reign.

More like up until.

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9408 on: August 21, 2014, 02:42:56 pm »

I referred to the German referendum in 1934. It was pretty much during Hitler's regime, which effectively began when he was appointed chancellor. Shortly after his appointment, Communist Party has been banned, the country was turned into a dictatorship by this, and eventually the last remaining opposition party, Social Democratic Party, was banned.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9409 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:38 pm »

The people in Britain who do (most) of the deciding are elected. Except for the Queen, who is a figurehead but has some influence, and the House of Lords, which are a horrible thing to still have, Britain is a democracy, and if the parliament is dissolved and new elections are called, the House of Commons goes along with it.

Oh how I would like to have a House of Lords to keep in check the lowlife proletariat.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9410 on: August 21, 2014, 03:26:43 pm »

The people in Britain who do (most) of the deciding are elected. Except for the Queen, who is a figurehead but has some influence, and the House of Lords, which are a horrible thing to still have, Britain is a democracy, and if the parliament is dissolved and new elections are called, the House of Commons goes along with it.
Oh how I would like to have a House of Lords to keep in check the lowlife proletariat.
Hey, they've done good things before.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9411 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37:44 pm »

I seriously would like to have a House of Lords. Politicians as they are only seem to think about the short term and winning the next election.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9412 on: August 21, 2014, 03:43:26 pm »

Hey, they've done good things before.
I assume the lack of electability means less votemongering and populism.

But yeah, representative democracies and constitutional monachries are not mutually exclusive, which is one thing about British politics that I can actually relate with.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9413 on: August 21, 2014, 04:04:26 pm »

I seriously would like to have a House of Lords. Politicians as they are only seem to think about the short term and winning the next election.

Yeah that's why taxes never get hiked and popular programs never get cut.  Just look at Europe since 2009.

Oh wait...

Although, surprisingly, they seem to be the most intelligent members of parliament.

That's because they can be deprived of real power at any time if they are annoying.  When you have no independence and your only job is to behave, you produce good optics.  But it's not an actual system of government.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:06:43 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #9414 on: August 21, 2014, 04:06:39 pm »

We need a better way to protect our interests. Right now Europe is getting plundered.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9415 on: August 21, 2014, 04:16:25 pm »

We need a better way to protect our interests. Right now Europe is getting plundered.

A disagreement!  Fight!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9416 on: August 21, 2014, 06:45:23 pm »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9417 on: August 21, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »

On a slightly different note.

Only in Russia, Scaring away tourists with lightling and tesla coils*.

It's not, actually, a Tesla coil. It's a Marx generator.

But what many of them didn’t understand is why their hair began to stand up as they got closer to the mysterious object, and were even more stunned seconds later a blue lights began to strike meters away. Facility chief Vladimir Sysoev says that many were seconds from death, and that it is by pure luck that no one has died during a test.
They couldn't afford an electric fence?
Also the house of lords, aren't they slowly being stripped away and replaced with people appointed by the government?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:02:47 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9418 on: August 21, 2014, 08:06:48 pm »

For people in other countries to understand what the House of Lords is:

In your countries you have important, long-lived, venerable politicians, right? They might not even be that important - they've just been around for a long time and maybe been in a few governments and cabinets. Maybe they haven't even been in cabinets, they've just been influential. A guy I'm thinking of after doing some googling would be Democrat Congressman John Dingell. Dingell has been around for a very long time (the longest-serving congressman currently in the house - he is a WW2 veteran) and he is not seeking re-election after his term is up. If Dingell was a British MP and the Democrats were the Conservative Party (they basically are anyway), who are in government right now, they would say that instead of Dingell retiring from politics completely he would now become Baron Dingell of Dearborn, Michigan or something and have the power of revising Congress' legislation and filibustering. Forever. You have to wait for him to die. On top of this imagine that he's joined by influential ministers and preachers from across the USA - 26, to be exact - who have the same powers he does. He would also be joined by 92 aristocrats - people who sit in that House by birthright, not appointment - no matter their views. They have been appointed by god, so what are you going to do about it? The other appointed Peers sitting alongside Dingell would number at over 700. Currently the House of Lords is the biggest assembly in the world besides the Chinese National People's Congress.

John Prescott was Labour Deputy PM during the Blair/Iraq War years. He was pretty terrible and very unpopular, basically a British Dick Cheney with prostitutes and sex scandals and eggs and boxing. Instead of disappearing from the mainstream political scene after he stepped down he is now "The Right Honourable Baron Prescott, of Kingston upon Hull in the County of East Yorkshire". He sits in the Lords and will only leave when he dies. The Right Honourable Baron Cheney of Jackson, Wyoming anyone?

Of course, the Lordship thing may be a bit more likely with Dingell if he was in his late 60s, early 70s - it can be rare for men in their late 80s to be elevated to the Lords. But yeah this means you will never, ever get rid of Dingell - you have to wait for him to die. John McCain would probably have become Lord McCain by now if the Republicans were in power. Occasionally women or sometimes people from ethnic minority backgrounds, who are no longer cabinet material or whatever, would become Lords to make the House more "representative" of the population. Of course that rests entirely on the whims of the government.

On top of all this imagine the US government could dish out titles and knighthoods and Lordships and even peer titles (i.e. being able to sit in the House of Lords) to wealthy party benefactors and people they think deserve it. They just take it to the Queen and she does what the government asks her to do. So even though she's giving out knighthoods on her own terms, the PM is effectively knighting people just as much. If you have enough money you can basically bribe your way into a knighthood or peer title with well placed donations, so if you have enough money you can become a part of the country's legislature for life. This is called Cash for Honours. Tony Blair was particularly bad for this.

So yeah, in Recognition of your service to the working class, in Recognition to your party loyalty...

Spoiler: Vanity, my friends (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:30:38 pm by Owlbread »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9419 on: August 21, 2014, 08:32:31 pm »

Essentially the government in power is allowed to appoint a very small minority of people in the legislature. Which is .... uh.. unusual, but I support the theory because too frequent elections causes short term thinking and popularism which can have devastating consequences... Of course dictators for life have a worse record.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 626 627 [628] 629 630 ... 1393