Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748370 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9060 on: August 12, 2014, 08:10:47 pm »

Pope's going to crusade on Isis. Probably not. BUT! He is rather upset. Deus vult.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9061 on: August 12, 2014, 08:16:35 pm »

Modern example of blatant misuse of Red Cross logo, Colombia 2008:

Illicit use of Red Cross symbol in Colombia

Basically, an opposition presidential election candidate was kidnapped by rebels during the 2002 election campaign of the hard-line President (Uribe = Colombian Putin), then when the government was face with all sorts of scandals in 2008 they rescued the kidnapped candidate. At first they claimed they'd fought a daring rescue mission with commandos, but later it turns out they flew a fake Red Cross helicopter into the jungle and the rebels were waiting to hand the prisoner over without a fight.

Their after-the-fact rationale once it leaked how the rescue took place was, "oh we have agents within the rebels who can give commands to the other rebels". The question now, seeing as how convenient it was for the rebels to only kidnap leftist candidates (the rebels ARE leftists but only target fellow-leftist politicians for some weird reason :/ ), is how long has the right-wing government faction had these commanders implanted in the rebels, was it more than 6 years? Their double-agents were senior enough to order rebels to release the politician, the rebel group has been around 40 years and, given how paranoid the rebels are, it seems unlikely that they'd trust a new recruit with giving orders, so were the double-agents also senior enough to order her initial capture?

What's even more suspicious is that the Colombian government has apparently completely infiltrated the rebels organization, yet they don't shut them down. The only rebels they seem to kill are the peace negotiators. In fact, they killed the top rebel peace negotiator a couple of months before the rescue. He had in fact been organizing her peaceful release. Clearly they couldn't have that when they could fly in guns blazing for the publicity. But, they were too chicken to actually fly in guns-blazing so they "tricked" the rebels into releasing someone who they were planning to release anyway, then claimed it was a daring guns-blazing mission.

The Colombian government often accuse international human rights organizations as being in league with the rebels. Their "story" about the Red Cross thing was that the Red Cross were only meant to be "transporting" the prisoners for the rebels, i.e. for a checkup at a Red Cross hospital after which they'd just hand the prisoners BACK to the rebels. Of course, the Red Cross would never operate in this manner, it only makes sense from the paranoid right-wing worldview of the Colombian military / political bloc. So, the Colombian government would have us believe that their fake Red Cross helicopter saved the hostages from not only the FARC rebels, but that evil Red Cross who is in league with terrorists.

This is permanent war, Bush-style. They use the threat of the rebels to denounce Human Rights organizations, trade unions, troublesome (i.e. asking questions) journalists, and the likes as being in league with the evil rebels.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 08:31:45 pm by Reelya »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9062 on: August 12, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »

Yet the only faction you mentioned who actually is proven to have a link with the rebels is the president?
Seems legit.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9063 on: August 12, 2014, 10:00:45 pm »

Hm, at 1:20 in this CNN video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRFPAzr2BRY#t=84 there is a van with a red cross on it. Don't know what the story is behind that one though.

Edit: I think it might be a local ambulance? Not sure.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:07:44 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9064 on: August 13, 2014, 05:22:43 am »

Yet the only faction you mentioned who actually is proven to have a link with the rebels is the president?
Seems legit.

Even more "legit" when you realize the FARC negotiator they killed off was trying for a long time (years) to organize the release of this hostage, he was in talks with other governments including the French government etc to facilitate the negotiations, with no luck (FARC is a cell-based underground organization).  And that guy was the 2nd-highest ranking FARC member, he couldn't pull it off even with that level of authority within the group.

Yet the president just snaps fingers and his rebel infiltrators achieve it overnight without a shot fired. It's all very odd.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:24:46 am by Reelya »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9065 on: August 13, 2014, 05:31:29 am »

Hm, at 1:20 in this CNN video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRFPAzr2BRY#t=84 there is a van with a red cross on it. Don't know what the story is behind that one though.

Ambulances using this car model (UAZ 3962), like all other ambulances, have red stripes, red crosses and the paramedics's telephone number 03 painted on them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9066 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28:08 am »

Now the main question is: Is our president brave enough to use airfoce and long range artillery against that "humanitarian aid" convoy or not
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9067 on: August 13, 2014, 07:37:28 am »

until they can present proof to the west that it is in fact a russian ruse, it'd be suicide to bomb it

because you know red cross is a sensitive as hell thing

can't work on "it might have been" unless you're a certain middle eastern country you like and i won't name because vOv

though it might be a bit too late after they get such proof, we'll see

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9068 on: August 13, 2014, 07:41:37 am »

Ambulances using this car model (UAZ 3962), like all other ambulances, have red stripes, red crosses and the paramedics's telephone number 03 painted on them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I couldn't see the stripes and ambulances in the US don't usually have the number on the windshield. I did see that light on the side and thought it was a local ambulance.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9069 on: August 13, 2014, 07:51:40 am »

Now the main question is: Is our president brave enough to use airfoce and long range artillery against that "humanitarian aid" convoy or not
Somehow I think Putin expects Poroshenko to bomb that convoy.

Bombing a humanitarian convoy would be an excellent casus belli.
._.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9070 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:40 am »

Now the main question is: Is our president RETARDED enough to use airfoce and long range artillery against that "humanitarian aid" convoy or not
ftfy

Like Sergarr says, that would be an excellent casus belli
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9071 on: August 13, 2014, 08:48:12 am »

Apparently the convoy has stopped in Siberia* Central Russia since the Ukraine government isn't allowing it to cross the border. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28768746

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28773542
Suspicions and also jokes made of it.

*Whenever I hear Central Russia, I always think Siberia, not Moscow.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9072 on: August 13, 2014, 08:53:37 am »

Right there is a moral victory for Russia, those trucks could be empty or full of weapons and Russia still gets out of this looking like nice guys....
At least in Russia.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9073 on: August 13, 2014, 09:04:28 am »

Now the main question is: Is our president RETARDED enough to use airfoce and long range artillery against that "humanitarian aid" convoy or not
ftfy

So what? "You can't attack invading troops because that is an excellent casus belli" is a brilliant kind of strategy. Surrendering is easier
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9074 on: August 13, 2014, 09:11:27 am »

ftfy

So what? "You can't attack invading troops because that is an excellent casus belli" is a brilliant kind of strategy. Surrendering is easier

Hypothetically, just hypothetically, what if the whole convoy actually IS carrying ONLY food and water, and then Ukraine fires on it? The problem is both that we can't trust Russia and we don't fully know what's in the convoy, is half of it food and water? All of it? None?
Pages: 1 ... 603 604 [605] 606 607 ... 1393