Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748383 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9045 on: August 12, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »

http://wpolityce.pl/swiat/209074-rosyjski-konwoj-humanitarny-jak-w-ruskim-cyrku-wczoraj-zolnierze-dzis-cywilni-pracownicy

Some soldier spoiled the beans on Russian 'facebook', writing about repainting 300 army trucks white. His profile is since gone, I wonder why? The link is in Polish, and Google Translate is not your friend in such situation, but many pictures speak for themselves or have captions in more reasonable languages.
Also, they started from Moscow, my guess is at least a full day before they will come close to the borders, although I'm not sure how fast military Trojan horse humanitarian aid (I mean, don't be ridiculous, let's just keep 'Russian') Russian convoys go.

I smell possible warcrime, because, well, you're not supposed to masterquade as the Red Cross, which are noncombatants, and if you can't be assured that the Red Cross is actually neutral, then the Red Cross is going to get attacked

I suppose that if they decided to break the budapest convention (or treaty), they then decided to ignore the geneva convention. :P

I wonder when the last time is that someone tried to pull that off? Deliberately Masterquading as the Red Cross like that.

Russian army trucks are designed in such a way that you can only move soldiers, weapons or ammunition in them, aren't they?
All other goods get vaporized the moment they appear in the cargo hold, I guess :P

Don't ask me, I don't know anything about the design of the army trucks.

A bit from Reuters and BBC:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/08/12/us-ukraine-crisis-eu-idUSKBN0GC10R20140812

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-28766869

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28752878

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28751447
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:04:24 pm by smjjames »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: August 12, 2014, 04:05:19 pm »

http://wpolityce.pl/swiat/209074-rosyjski-konwoj-humanitarny-jak-w-ruskim-cyrku-wczoraj-zolnierze-dzis-cywilni-pracownicy

Some soldier spoiled the beans on Russian 'facebook', writing about repainting 300 army trucks white. His profile is since gone, I wonder why? The link is in Polish, and Google Translate is not your friend in such situation, but many pictures speak for themselves or have captions in more reasonable languages.
Also, they started from Moscow, my guess is at least a full day before they will come close to the borders, although I'm not sure how fast military Trojan horse humanitarian aid (I mean, don't be ridiculous, let's just keep 'Russian') Russian convoys go.

I smell possible warcrime, because, well, you're not supposed to masterquade as the Red Cross, which are noncombatants, and if you can't be assured that the Red Cross is actually neutral, then the Red Cross is going to get attacked

I suppose that if they decided to break the budapest convention (or treaty), they then decided to ignore the geneva convention. :P

I wonder when the last time is that someone tried to pull that off? Deliberately Masterquading as the Red Cross like that.

Russian army trucks are designed in such a way that you can only move soldiers, weapons or ammunition in them, aren't they?
All other goods get vaporized the moment they appear in the cargo hold, I guess :P

Don't ask me, I don't know anything about the design of the army trucks.
If the trucks were provided by the Russian military, it doesn't automatically mean that they contain military cargo.

Until the truck get to the border, we can't be absolutely sure what they contain.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: August 12, 2014, 04:06:19 pm »

It looks very humanitarian :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: August 12, 2014, 04:09:38 pm »

Of course not, silly! You just somehow can't put them in there, because the inventory is marked as 'military stuff'. It's like trying to put sword in a quiver - there is just no such option. (OK, end of poor cRPG-inventory-system joke).

But one starts to think: why would they repaint the trucks? Why can't they just use old, green, military ones? Or take non-military ones? And why soldiers from one photo are suddenly white-clad humanitarian aid workers the next day? Why the profile got deleted all of the sudden if there is nothing to hide?

Also, why would anybody in their sane mind actually believe what Kremlin says without checking first? :P
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: August 12, 2014, 04:11:46 pm »

Even better question: why on earth would Russia want to help those Ukrainians in the first place...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9050 on: August 12, 2014, 04:12:58 pm »

Does anybody know whether painting the vehichles white and sending it as an aid convoy while actually not having humanitarian aid (ie, weapons instead of food) in it counts as a war crime? If they actually painted red crosses on there and had weapons instead of food and medicine, that would definetly be a war crime, but they're sort of pushing the definition here.

Of course not, silly! You just somehow can't put them in there, because the inventory is marked as 'military stuff'. It's like trying to put sword in a quiver - there is just no such option. (OK, end of poor cRPG-inventory-system joke).

But one starts to think: why would they repaint the trucks? Why can't they just use old, green, military ones? Or take non-military ones? And why soldiers from one photo are suddenly white-clad humanitarian aid workers the next day? Why the profile got deleted all of the sudden if there is nothing to hide?

Also, why would anybody in their sane mind actually believe what Kremlin says without checking first? :P

Yeah, too many suspicious things. One might say the white is the equivalent of the white flag and saying 'don't shoot me please.', but, the question remains......
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:18:19 pm by smjjames »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9051 on: August 12, 2014, 04:13:36 pm »

Russian army trucks are designed in such a way that you can only move soldiers, weapons or ammunition in them, aren't they? :P
I saw you edit that smiley in.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9052 on: August 12, 2014, 04:19:54 pm »

Does anybody know whether painting the vehichles white and sending it as an aid convoy while actually not having humanitarian aid (ie, weapons instead of food) in it counts as a war crime? If they actually painted red crosses on there, that would definetly be a war crime, but they're sort of pushing the definition here.

Yeah, too many suspicious things. One might say the white is the equivalent of the white flag and saying 'don't shoot me please.', but, the question remains......

ITAR-TASS's website has this photo of the convoy.
Some of the trucks carry small Red Cross flags. However, they are too small to be seen from far away. Furthermore, it's not clear whether the photo is authentic or not.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:21:26 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9053 on: August 12, 2014, 04:22:04 pm »

To a large degree, the original Nazis took their ideas directly from the Communists,

You are ignoring that they both took their ideas from Hammurabi who thought up the idea of making decrees and having them written down.

Poor Hammu, he should have patented his ideas then we would be living without the burden of totalitarian states.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9054 on: August 12, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »

They're REALLY pushing the boundaries of the geneva convention aren't they? Not sure what the geneva convention says about red cross flags though.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9056 on: August 12, 2014, 05:31:11 pm »

I'm actually more worried about deliberately trying to cause an incident by attempting to steam across the border.
The gambit here is laying claim to the area- ignoring the sovereignty of Ukraine & 'taking care of their brothers'.

They get through, Ukraine looks like a bitch that doesn't really govern their country, Russia gets brownie points for providing aid and strengthen their claim on the people & the region.

They don't get through and/or there's violence, they decry the Ukrainian government as (possibly murderous) monsters. And also establish more support for getting more directly involved.

I'm not too worried about anything as outrageous as a red cross trojan horse, or even supplying the rebels, (they're already doing that). They don't need to do any of that.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9057 on: August 12, 2014, 05:58:21 pm »

I'm not too worried about anything as outrageous as a red cross trojan horse, or even supplying the rebels, (they're already doing that). They don't need to do any of that.
Oh yeah, that's a good point. Why would they risk massive war crimes to do something they're already doing?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9058 on: August 12, 2014, 07:31:33 pm »

I have to side with GI here, if Russia is going to be sending trucks it makes sense to use military vehicles which they have in abundance, using soldiers too is probably the cheapest option anyway. The only suspicious thing about it is the lack of transparency, the soldier's deleted profile etc, but in Putviet Russia nothing is transparent and everything looks shady.
I agree with grizzly adamz, Russia only needs to provide actual humanitarian aid there to strengthen it's position, however they'll have an option of arguing that the aid areas need to be militarily secured for the good of their 'aid workers' and the local people, so it's possible they have ulterior motives even if real aid is the goal.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9059 on: August 12, 2014, 07:46:39 pm »

Oh yeah, that's a good point. Why would they risk massive war crimes to do something they're already doing?

The convoy is going to an area that they dont have access too, Donetsk is cut off from the rebel held areas on the Russian border.

While it seems like a penny wise, pound foolish move to me, that pretty much describes the entire Russian strategy up until this point.  Every step along the way people have said "no way they would be that aggressive, it's just stupid." and then we find out that they were in fact annexing Crimea, they were in fact sending weapons to the rebels, they were in fact deploying special forces.  Russia has already the chance to develop into a first world nation, what's a little more international condemnation.

Not saying we know they did it but the "they wouldn't be that dumb" argument stopped making sense months ago.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 602 603 [604] 605 606 ... 1393