Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748380 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #9030 on: August 12, 2014, 08:44:20 am »

It does seem to lack subtlety.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: August 12, 2014, 10:26:51 am »

Weren't the Russian "rebels" and "militia" somehow able to know how to fully crew and operate tanks and have access to vehicle mounted anti aircraft systems?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: August 12, 2014, 11:01:39 am »

Nazi Germany had a free-market

are you sure
well after I read up on wikipedia some I'm not.
Nazi Germany had a prevalent private sector with strong ties to the goverment. IMO it resembles XVIII century's mercantilism somewhat, rather than "free market". Benito Mussolini himself defined fascism as "a merging of corporate and state power". At any rate it wasn't leftist in any conventional sense of the word.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 11:06:12 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: August 12, 2014, 01:02:57 pm »

Nazi Germany had a prevalent private sector with strong ties to the goverment. IMO it resembles XVIII century's mercantilism somewhat, rather than "free market". Benito Mussolini himself defined fascism as "a merging of corporate and state power". At any rate it wasn't leftist in any conventional sense of the word.
It has been said by several sociologists, that if Hitler had won the war, the 3d Reich's economic system now would probably be very much alike present day corporate USA, without Goldman Sachs.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: August 12, 2014, 01:06:27 pm »

Weren't the Russian "rebels" and "militia" somehow able to know how to fully crew and operate tanks and have access to vehicle mounted anti aircraft systems?

There probably are some ex-military among the rebels and militia, but they'd need someone to train others to operate the tanks and other stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9035 on: August 12, 2014, 01:16:18 pm »

There probably are some ex-military among the rebels and militia, but they'd need someone to train others to operate the tanks and other stuff.
Yeah, they had war veterans in there. Also war veterans from other countries turned up for both sides of Ukraine.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9036 on: August 12, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »

"aid convoy"

Any news on this? They left for the border hours & hours ago, a 'surprise' to the ICRC. Ukraine says they'll allow the trucks in, but that they must be supervised by ICRC. What're Russia's exact words on how the aid would be delivered? Was there ambiguity?
This is really starting to smell fishy.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:16 pm »

http://wpolityce.pl/swiat/209074-rosyjski-konwoj-humanitarny-jak-w-ruskim-cyrku-wczoraj-zolnierze-dzis-cywilni-pracownicy

Some soldier spoiled the beans on Russian 'facebook', writing about repainting 300 army trucks white. His profile is since gone, I wonder why? The link is in Polish, and Google Translate is not your friend in such situation, but many pictures speak for themselves or have captions in more reasonable languages.
Also, they started from Moscow, my guess is at least a full day before they will come close to the borders, although I'm not sure how fast military Trojan horse humanitarian aid (I mean, don't be ridiculous, let's just keep 'Russian') Russian convoys go.
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: August 12, 2014, 02:18:20 pm »

To a large degree, the original Nazis took their ideas directly from the Communists,

You are ignoring that they both took their ideas from Hammurabi who thought up the idea of making decrees and having them written down.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ConsUme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: August 12, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »

Video of  the "humanitarian convoy"
Look carefully at a vehicle after 1:02. How do you think what is it?

That thing is much longer ranged than Buk, so Strelok will have a chance to shot down few more passenger jets if that "humanitarian aid" will be allowed in
On-Topic: Why Does this look familiar.
*Checks Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis Mods*
Yep It's Russian. This "humanitarian aid" is nothing more than a resupply for the "rebels". When Actual humanitarian aid comes it will be shot down or destroyed...

Off topic: That song feels better than all the American Pop songs are. What is the name of the song.
Goddamit SourceForge

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: August 12, 2014, 03:38:02 pm »

Off topic: That song feels better than all the American Pop songs are. What is the name of the song.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:16 pm »

I am currently watching something entitled Scotland Votes: What's at stake...the UK?

It's on BBC2 for any interested.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9042 on: August 12, 2014, 03:45:42 pm »

Ahahaha, oh wow I didn't think they would actually try. Anyone here Polish who could confirm whether or not Russia is about to stage a massive war crime here or not?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: August 12, 2014, 03:53:36 pm »

http://wpolityce.pl/swiat/209074-rosyjski-konwoj-humanitarny-jak-w-ruskim-cyrku-wczoraj-zolnierze-dzis-cywilni-pracownicy

Some soldier spoiled the beans on Russian 'facebook', writing about repainting 300 army trucks white. His profile is since gone, I wonder why? The link is in Polish, and Google Translate is not your friend in such situation, but many pictures speak for themselves or have captions in more reasonable languages.
Also, they started from Moscow, my guess is at least a full day before they will come close to the borders, although I'm not sure how fast military Trojan horse humanitarian aid (I mean, don't be ridiculous, let's just keep 'Russian') Russian convoys go.

I smell possible warcrime, because, well, you're not supposed to masterquade as the Red Cross, which are noncombatants, and if you can't be assured that the Red Cross is actually neutral, then the Red Cross is going to get attacked

I suppose that if they decided to break the budapest convention (or treaty), they then decided to ignore the geneva convention. :P

I wonder when the last time is that someone tried to pull that off? Deliberately Masterquading as the Red Cross like that.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: August 12, 2014, 03:56:28 pm »

I smell possible warcrime, because, well, you're not supposed to masterquade as the Red Cross, which are noncombatants, and if you can't be assured that the Red Cross is actually neutral, then the Red Cross is going to get attacked

I suppose that if they decided to break the budapest convention (or treaty), they then decided to ignore the geneva convention. :P

I wonder when the last time is that someone tried to pull that off? Deliberately Masterquading as the Red Cross like that.

Russian army trucks are designed in such a way that you can only move soldiers, weapons or ammunition in them, aren't they?
All other goods get vaporized the moment they appear in the cargo hold, I guess :P
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 03:59:36 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 1393