Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749291 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8835 on: August 07, 2014, 07:18:43 pm »

Pro-Putin Rusyns are veeeeery small group in Transcarpatia
Here are is a little map with Ukrainian regions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Every of that regions have noticeable cultural differences, but far from enough to engage your "split a country in many small pieces" mode

By Far Western I meant Galichina, and that exactly the region that Russians mean when they say Western Ukraine
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: August 07, 2014, 07:29:20 pm »

By Far Western I meant Galichina, and that exactly the region that Russians mean when they say Western Ukraine

My word, that doesn't even look much bigger than the East Coast of Scotland or the Highlands. They're not giving "Ukraine" much land are they when they talk about cutting everything away from the "West" of Ukraine, are they?

The more I hear about this I am all the more convinced that federalism is the answer for Ukraine to respect its constituent peoples' customs, dialects, right to self determination and all the rest of it, just as we in Scotland should do the same for our regions with devolution. As much of a separatist as I am even I understand the concept of "divide and rule", something Putin and Russia have been historical masters at. Scotland is essentially one nation, though we have pretty damned strong cultural differences (even completely different native languages) between our regions, like Ukraine. I'm starting to see Ukraine as being a lot like Germany in that regard. I'm not saying Ukraine should split into tiny pieces, I'm just seeing different constituent peoples in one nation, just like in Scotland, Wales and England. Note - I'm not comparing Ukraine to the UK, I'm comparing it to England or Scotland individually.

Yet I still can't abide some kind of federal Republic of Novorossiya in the East and South though - that land historically belonged to the Ukrainian Cossacks. The presence of ethnic Russians in that territory who are now carrying out a Russian nationalist insurgency is the result of Russian and later Soviet colonisation of Cossack and Ukrainian land. I feel the same way about "Novorossiya" that I do about California or Texas fighting their white American irredentist "independence" wars in the 19th century. We can't just allow that territory to remain Russified, it's just not right and it accepts colonialism, that's why I would propose an autonomous East with special provision to protect Ukrainian/Ukrainian Cossack heritage over there and promote it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that post-apartheid South Africa (an example of a partly de-colonised state) didn't allow completely autonomous Afrikaner nationalist regions/"republics" in Afrikaner-majority areas, instead they gave Afrikaans recognition as an official language but gave support to the native African languages of those regions. Why would Donbass be any different?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:43:36 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: August 07, 2014, 11:00:27 pm »

South Africa (an example of a partly de-colonised state)

u wot m8

is fully decolonized something akin to every single descendant of the colonists goes to where his ancestors lived in your books

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: August 07, 2014, 11:24:03 pm »

u wot m8

is fully decolonized something akin to every single descendant of the colonists goes to where his ancestors lived in your books

I don't think anything can be fully decolonised, the influence will pretty much always be there. "Partly" decolonised is about the best we could manage without being abominable ethnic-cleansing monsters or something.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: August 08, 2014, 12:49:36 am »

huh

okay then, looks like it's exactly that and a little more

i'm not going to go and defend colonialism because what the hell but usually the things that were kept after colonialism went into the dustbin are ones that are too difficult to change or good as-is don't fuck with it

you might bash the artificial borders but i don't think you'd be all that upset with the part where absolute monarchs were abolished in favor of democracy(tm)

though they could use their resources back

i'll leave it at this do what you want with it

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: August 08, 2014, 01:16:06 am »

In other news, apparently the shutdown of Doel-4 (Belgian Nuclear reactor) was the result of a deliberate manual opening of a critical oil valve, leading to the turbine overheating and shutting down.

In other words, according to the media, sabotage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: August 08, 2014, 02:40:59 am »

In other news, apparently the shutdown of Doel-4 (Belgian Nuclear reactor) was the result of a deliberate manual opening of a critical oil valve, leading to the turbine overheating and shutting down.

In other words, accorbding to the media, sabotage.

Or someone being incredibly stupid/careless, unless they have proof that it was deliberate.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:53 am »

Electrabel (owner of the plant) is speaking a deliberate, manual opening of the valve.

I mean, someone opened a valve spilling 90 000 liters of oil. You think they would have noticed, but that's a rather big mistake.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:01:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: August 08, 2014, 02:54:52 am »

anti-nuclear activists are getting bold aren't they

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: August 08, 2014, 03:28:02 am »

That's a Chernobyl fuckup right there, thankfully the 'critical oil valve' wasn't joined by other critical systems failing or being deliberately disabled....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: August 08, 2014, 03:59:36 am »

Nah, not really. Yeez. There was never any danger, at all.

What happened is that the oil valve* was opened, resulting a shortage of oil, resulting in the steam turbine that drives the power generator being shut down to prevent overheating. With the plant now no longer producing any power, the reactor was thus automatically shut down. At no point was there any incident or damage or danger to the nuclear part of the facility.

*It's an emergency oil valve, only to be used to remove oil when, for example, the turbine is on fire.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8846 on: August 08, 2014, 06:51:25 am »

Here I was thinking critical meant, "fuck with this and shit goes boom".
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: August 08, 2014, 07:00:27 am »

critical = fine

supercritical = increasing output

subcritical = lowering output

that simple m8

supercritical can mean fuck too but you want supercritical uncontrolled for that

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: August 08, 2014, 07:09:29 am »

Ppppfft, You're too critical :p

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: August 08, 2014, 07:41:08 am »

Or in this case, Extremely important.

Not explode if you do something wrong important, but if an activation of such a system is sufficient to shut down a 1 GW powerplant, I think we can consider it rather important.
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 1393