Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748975 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8670 on: August 04, 2014, 10:34:25 am »

I wish Russia would stop invading people and act more like America in the 21st century. Lol.

How about we say it's ok for Russia to use attack drones, but no boots on the ground? That sounds fair.

How about we say that it's okay for Russia to act like a nation in the goddamn 21st century?

You can't just say "oh the US isn't perfect" as if that actually matters a damn about what Russia is doing.  Wanna criticize the US, fine do it.  I'll join in.  Doesn't matter a fuck about Russia's thuggery.

Russians say that Russia should be treated like other countries.  Well guess what, if the US invaded Canada and stole land from them the US would get sanctioned too.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8671 on: August 04, 2014, 10:42:11 am »

I wish Russia would stop invading people and act more like America in the 21st century. Lol.

How about we say it's ok for Russia to use attack drones, but no boots on the ground? That sounds fair.

How about we say that it's okay for Russia to act like a nation in the goddamn 21st century?

You can't just say "oh the US isn't perfect" as if that actually matters a damn about what Russia is doing.  Wanna criticize the US, fine do it.  I'll join in.  Doesn't matter a fuck about Russia's thuggery.

Russians say that Russia should be treated like other countries.  Well guess what, if the US invaded Canada and stole land from them the US would get sanctioned too.
Gib Northwest Territories, traditional American land, remove Poutine scum.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8672 on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:19 am »

Interestingly, it works the other way around as well: Russia does it with no real consequences, so what America did was alright as well!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8673 on: August 04, 2014, 11:00:19 am »

To be honest I doubt that the World would dare to sanction USA even in that case

Not that it can happen, President who would get such a bright idea would be impeached instantly. If by some miracle Congress would support that kind of insanity, then generals would decline to follow such orders. Even if that would fail - Hello all-American rebellion

But can we stop comparing the mightiest country of the world with a country that got something like 3% of world GDP, with most of that being extracted natural resources? Country that has the best armed forces in the world, with one that has one bloated, corrupt and ineffective army that performs worse than Syrian rebels?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8674 on: August 04, 2014, 11:23:21 am »

We should really get to liberating Quebec, though. We all know they don't like Canadiennes.

There's also Louisiana, a sorta alter-ego state to Quebec, both French in origin, lots of bastardized Francoise, what's not to love? Come on Quebec, you know you want to.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8675 on: August 04, 2014, 11:38:22 am »

To be honest I doubt that the World would dare to sanction USA even in that case

The US is hardly a hegemon.  The EU and China combined would be perfectly capable of starting a cold war if kryptonite red kryptonite turned the US all imperialist like Russia.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8676 on: August 04, 2014, 11:51:22 am »

We should really get to liberating Quebec, though. We all know they don't like Canadiennes.

There's also Louisiana, a sorta alter-ego state to Quebec, both French in origin, lots of bastardized Francoise, what's not to love? Come on Quebec, you know you want to.
You know, there's no federal language here. You can totally set your state language to whatever you want without outside approval. Just figured I'd mention that.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8677 on: August 04, 2014, 12:56:27 pm »

The US is hardly a hegemon.  The EU and China combined would be perfectly capable of starting a cold war if kryptonite red kryptonite turned the US all imperialist like Russia.
Yeah, the US is hardly a hegemon. All it would take is a collection of every other single great power on this planet to unanimously decide to be belligerent to the US to break its power. Pft, the US is so weak.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8678 on: August 04, 2014, 01:01:41 pm »

Yeah, the US is hardly a hegemon. All it would take is a collection of every other single great power on this planet to unanimously decide to be belligerent to the US to break its power. Pft, the US is so weak.
Even then, it's a toss-up. More military spending than the next 16 runners up, more aircraft carriers than the rest of the world, the first, second, and fifth largest air forces in the Air Force, Navy, and Army respectively, an experimental black-budget larger than the GDPs of some nations, the most advanced ABM tech on the planet, and a huge force even without drafting. An anti-America Cold War would be tough even if the US was going it alone, and an actual war would be hell on earth.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8679 on: August 04, 2014, 01:11:16 pm »

All it took to break the Soviet Union power was every single militarily significant country in the world being hostile towards it.

And the EU alone is stronger then the US IMHO.  I was just tossing China in there to show that there would be a balance of power tilted against the red-kryptonite US.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8680 on: August 04, 2014, 01:59:29 pm »

All it took to break the Soviet Union power was every single militarily significant country in the world being hostile towards it.
And the EU alone is stronger then the US IMHO.  I was just tossing China in there to show that there would be a balance of power tilted against the red-kryptonite US.
All it took to break the Soviet Union was every single other great power on the planet, the only other superpower on the planet and the USSR itself to break the Soviet Union's power. The Soviet Union was powerful and the US is powerful.

The EU alone cannot provide a unified front against anyone. Politically the EU is divided and Euroskepticism is at its strongest, economically the "sanctions" against Russia have proven the European states do not ever share fully unified and common interests (enter Switzerland) to wage economic warfare and militarily there is no competition, America wins. In the nuclear department, America wins. Also consider that beyond the Eastern European countries, the British Isles and France, nationalism is either in short supply or downright scorned and scowled at, whereas in America there is only freedom and only clapping. A war against the world would have an absolute revival of an effect on American pride, so in terms of morale victory also goes to the USA.

Britain, France, Austria and Italy in culture > America (but thanks to consumerism Americans are immune to taunts of culture)
France, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Spain and Belgium in cuisine > America (but thanks to consumerism Americans are immune to taunts of cuisine)
Germany in engineering and football > Everyone (but thanks to great amounts of money America can win through innovative applications of STEM students).

Murrica is a hegemony. Declining, but still the hegemony.

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8681 on: August 04, 2014, 02:19:03 pm »

And the EU alone is stronger then the US IMHO.

Wait, what? Are we talking about the same EU I happen to live in? As in, European Union, on the continent Europe? Because I will tell you, there might be some very, very obscure part of some obscure field of some part of gender studies where EU is superior to USA. But that's it. EU is actually weaker than any other major player on the continent, is on the verge of economical collapse, while refusing to get rid of it's major problems in that department, it is constantly bickering about everything important, only decisions made by large majority are suicidal ones, and about military, don't even get me started...
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8682 on: August 04, 2014, 02:38:32 pm »

Well the EU leads in obscure statistics like GDP, number of modern fighter aircraft, men under arms, population.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8683 on: August 04, 2014, 02:45:24 pm »

Well the EU leads in obscure statistics like GDP, number of modern fighter aircraft, men under arms, population.
So, as long as war remains on pages of statistical comparisons, Europe will win?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8684 on: August 04, 2014, 05:20:17 pm »

basically, yes. The EU has more resources, but since it is not an unified entity it can't actually use them, much less use them effectively.
Pages: 1 ... 577 578 [579] 580 581 ... 1393