Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747922 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8535 on: August 01, 2014, 07:48:38 am »

Can we move this discussion to the American megathread? I doubt that Canada is a European country.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8536 on: August 01, 2014, 07:52:03 am »

Like what? Please, tell me - I thought it would be right down your 'civic nationalism' alley.

Nobody is talking about clearing the settlers/colonists off their land for the original inhabitants, it's just that it sounds a bit odd to describe yourself as a "native Canadian" if your ancestors are comparatively recent settlers. Have you heard a fully European Bostonian American with no native ancestry calling himself a "Native American"? He probably doesn't need to - he's already American enough.

Civic nationalism doesn't tend to deal with the issue of who is "native" and who isn't because there would be no difference between a native citizen and a completely new citizen born abroad. I just think as an act of courteousy the natives should be allowed to call themselves natives and their status shpuld be legally recognised - not because of their bloodlines but because in many cases their tribes were never totally conquered and they are thus still sovereign entities, like stateless countries.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8537 on: August 01, 2014, 07:54:10 am »

Can we move this discussion to the American megathread? I doubt that Canada is a European country.

well, canada is more european than a couple countries that call themselves european but i can't really argue with you

canada got its own thread though

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8538 on: August 01, 2014, 08:17:17 am »

Meanwhile Russia got one more cool law:

Vladimir Putin recently signed amendments to Russian communications law that created this registry, in order to place prominent bloggers under the same restrictions placed on traditional journalists — an interesting condition to place on satire. Any blogger with more than 3,000 readers can voluntarily sign up, but registration is mandatory if Roskomnadzor demands it.

Registered bloggers have to disclose their true identity, avoid hate speech, “extremist calls” and even obscene language. They also can’t slander anyone, and must verify any information before publishing it. If they break these rules, they face fines of between $285 and $14,285

Write: Putin is a thief and pay your monthly salary. I think it is cool
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8539 on: August 01, 2014, 08:20:00 am »

but no if you're saying native you're either going full tilt with archeological research and finding out who actually was the first one on that land or you don't do it at all there is no midway point

first nations is totally fine a concept for me though
Even easier: You find out if the person is talking about south-western Africa. If they're not, they're not native :D

I just think as an act of courteousy the natives should be allowed to call themselves natives and their status shpuld be legally recognised - not because of their bloodlines but because in many cases their tribes were never totally conquered and they are thus still sovereign entities, like stateless countries.
Hell, I'm not arguing against that - I'm just saying that you can't define 'native' consistently that way! You'll note I wrote 'First Nations' in my posts above - it's much closer to what's actually meant.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8540 on: August 01, 2014, 08:22:07 am »

Since  Elisabeth II of England is still Canada's monarch, it can be argued that Canada is part of Europe.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8541 on: August 01, 2014, 08:26:28 am »

Since  Elisabeth II of England is still Canada's monarch, it can be argued that Canada is part of Europe.

And by that logic Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Fiji etc are all parts of Europe?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8542 on: August 01, 2014, 08:29:40 am »

And by that logic Australia, Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Fiji etc are all parts of Europe?

the whole commonwealth would be more or less welcome in my books

i imagine india and pakistan would get their panties in a knot regarding being in europe together though

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8543 on: August 01, 2014, 08:40:38 am »

Every nation ever confirmed to be European.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8545 on: August 01, 2014, 08:57:57 am »

That's, baby, Ruscism' Dubstep remix by Zymosis & Kodzu

I recommend this song. Hope someone will enjoy it as much as I do:)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8546 on: August 01, 2014, 09:00:25 am »

That's some... interesting lyrics :P

Does "Хуйло" mean Putin or is it a pun of some sort?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8547 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:27 am »

that's ukrainian for hello

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8548 on: August 01, 2014, 09:15:59 am »

Does "Хуйло" mean Putin or is it a pun of some sort?
Yep. Хуйло (Huilo)  is Putin
Urban dictionary explains it better

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8549 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:43 am »

Love it. I have a thing for propaganda, but this really is awesome. Rather well-produced, too! I especially liked the aesthetics they employed around 1:40.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:19:09 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 568 569 [570] 571 572 ... 1393