Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747952 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8520 on: July 31, 2014, 08:25:49 pm »

Yeah it funny about how a little thing like genocide could leave it's survivors and their descendants a little bitter, especially among the western tribes who still have members who grew up in proper tribes and where dragged away from their families to boarding schools.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8521 on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:01 pm »

Spoiler: heh (click to show/hide)

edit: oops wrong megathread Isreal is part of Eurovision Song Contest so it's okay.

What is that a map of? I get that it's an imaginary map though.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8522 on: July 31, 2014, 08:54:04 pm »

There are still many natives alive who lived through it. It was still going on in the 1900's in a less direct way through 'residential schools'.

Forced assimilation, while very bad for obvious reasons, isn't genocide though, is it?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8523 on: July 31, 2014, 09:04:36 pm »

Forced assimilation, while very bad for obvious reasons, isn't genocide though, is it?

Eh... I believe it depends on your definition of genocide. But yeah, we weren't going out and butchering Native Americans left and right. So while the residential schools/everything else were better than a traditional genocide, they were still pretty reprehensible and terrible. Definitely not something to be proud of or sweep under the rug.

Looks like an Archipelago of Palestine in the Orient/Eastern Asia or something like that. I think it's safe to assume it's poking fun at Israeli somehow.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8524 on: July 31, 2014, 09:05:05 pm »

There are still many natives alive who lived through it. It was still going on in the 1900's in a less direct way through 'residential schools'.

See the fact the early children were occasionally the last survivors of their tribe it's not much better at all.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8525 on: July 31, 2014, 09:35:57 pm »

Yeah. Residential schools stick in my craw, because it's basically the same thing the English did to the Gaelic Scots. Stick them in an Anglo school and whip them to being "civilized" (read: English/British) :/ Disappointing how they dealt out what their ancestors themselves had done to them. (since so many Canadians are Scottish and all)

And what Frumple said. It's respect. Saying "My family lived here for generations, I'm as native as they come!" may be technically correct (The best KIND of correct, I hear!) but it's also technically correct in the same was as the "#NotAllMen" thing was. Yes, it's technically correct, but it's missing the bloody point by a mile.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to be switching over to "First Nations" as the terminology though as it is far less loaded with the associations of viewing non-developed cultures as primitive when we're referring to aboriginal peoples, and those contexts that "native" can summon up in discussions. At least, that's what I remember the reasoning to be. I may be way off base with this, but this is the last thing I remember hearing on the issue.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8526 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:31 pm »

]
See the fact the early children were occasionally the last survivors of their tribe it's not much better at all.

Surely it must be considerably better in the views of the survivors?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8527 on: July 31, 2014, 10:25:48 pm »

]

Surely it must be considerably better in the views of the survivors?
Don't mistake me for picking any side in particular, but would you rather..

A. Die with your head held high?
B. Be forced to support those that destroyed your very way of life?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8528 on: July 31, 2014, 11:24:36 pm »

Looks like an Archipelago of Palestine in the Orient/Eastern Asia or something like that. I think it's safe to assume it's poking fun at Israeli somehow.
It's a map of the West Bank, with the islands as the Palestinian controlled areas (either partially or fully) and the fully Israeli and Israeli-occupied areas are the waters.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8529 on: July 31, 2014, 11:35:33 pm »

A. Die with your head held high?
B. Be forced to support those that destroyed your very way of life?

Rather loaded question, that.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8530 on: August 01, 2014, 03:34:05 am »

Think the states do it as something like at-minimum 1/16th native american to count? So at least one full blooded great-grandparent, something like that. There's a way of checking, in any case. Technically qualify for the various benefits in place for someone of native american descent, m'self. Some variation of Creek, iirc.
Also IIRC, but I believe it's membership of a registered tribe. Different tribes have different requirements. There was a recent Supreme Court case that involved a member of the Nation of Cherokee who was (also IIRC) 1/64th Cherokee by blood but recognised as a member by the tribe. They only require that you can prove ancestry to a member of the tribe recorded at a certain point in their past.

I also believe that I may well qualify under that requirement (my own Cherokee ancestor was only about four generations back... although the line back to John Adams is arguably easier to prove through certified records), although I wouldn't feel entirely comfortable claiming membership even if I could prove it. For me there is a cultural aspect that is a moral requirement and which I don't meet.

Obviously which tribes are registered is a somewhat political matter, and government/tribe relations also vary.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8531 on: August 01, 2014, 05:15:32 am »

Descan: The First Nations came to the land at some point too, and it's highly probable that they dispaced other people in moving there - contrary to widespread assumption, stuff did happen in America before white people started writing it down.
How many generations do you need to be native? Does a member of the First Nations have any more right to the land than a guy whose ancestors came over when French absolutism was still a thing?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8532 on: August 01, 2014, 07:39:17 am »

Descan: The First Nations came to the land at some point too, and it's highly probable that they dispaced other people in moving there - contrary to widespread assumption, stuff did happen in America before white people started writing it down.
How many generations do you need to be native? Does a member of the First Nations have any more right to the land than a guy whose ancestors came over when French absolutism was still a thing?

It's not about having the right to the land, it's about the tribe being legally recognised as being native to that land. Your arguments can be used to defend all sorts of Imperialism.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8533 on: August 01, 2014, 07:40:46 am »

Like what? Please, tell me - I thought it would be right down your 'civic nationalism' alley.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8534 on: August 01, 2014, 07:43:43 am »

wow, imperialism with a big i

can it be used to defend small i imperialism though

like corporations in south america or something

you're not german what are you up to even

but no if you're saying native you're either going full tilt with archeological research and finding out who actually was the first one on that land or you don't do it at all there is no midway point

first nations is totally fine a concept for me though
Pages: 1 ... 567 568 [569] 570 571 ... 1393