Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747844 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8505 on: July 31, 2014, 04:42:44 pm »

Useless fun factoids about national anthems: do these German and Austrian imperial anthems sound familiar to anyone? What a difference lyrics can make...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8506 on: July 31, 2014, 04:53:38 pm »

Spoiler: heh (click to show/hide)

edit: oops wrong megathread Isreal is part of Eurovision Song Contest so it's okay.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8507 on: July 31, 2014, 05:17:55 pm »

The problem with that is the First Nations... Are actually called, you know, natives. It's what people here think of when they hear the term "native," not "person living in his birthplace."

Basically you can't call immigrant-descended Canadians "native" because there are already natives here. If they were gone, it'd... still be a dick move, but it's like the difference between moving into a house of a dude who died and saying "I always lived here," versus moving into a guys house and pushing him into the basement and saying "I always lived here."
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:20:30 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8508 on: July 31, 2014, 05:23:59 pm »

Orrrrrrr

You are all native. No need to differentiate. A descendant of an immigrant has lived in the country the same amount of time as the descendant of a "Native."
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8509 on: July 31, 2014, 05:26:43 pm »

@ Descan.

But we're calling them First Nations for exactly that reason.

I'm native Canadian, I have family going back in Canada since the American Revolution, and my roots are in the founding of this nation. I believe immigration is essential to the Canadian condition, but I cannot consider myself an immigrant because none of my family moved here in more than a hundred years. If "native" is not something I can apply to myself, I'm not entirely certain what I can call myself. The last time I tried to call myself European because of my ancestors, I was laughed at by Europeans.

As coined by a certain beer company, I am ... Canadian.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8510 on: July 31, 2014, 05:49:33 pm »

Then call yourself Canadian...? You don't need to call yourself a 'native' when it means a lot more, as I said, here than just "person living in his birthplace," when calling yourself a Canadian works just as well...

It never comes up for me, I just go with Canadian and nobody bats an eye, but if I *HAD* to come up with a term, I'd probably say "colonial" before "native." Even though my ancestors were likely from the Highland clearances, it's still more apt.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 05:51:21 pm by Descan »
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8511 on: July 31, 2014, 05:50:22 pm »

Fucking twentieth-generation immigrants stealing our jerbs.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8512 on: July 31, 2014, 07:04:32 pm »

If you were born in Canada, I don't care about your bloodline or pedigree. You're a blinking native.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8513 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:51 pm »

Think the states do it as something like at-minimum 1/16th native american to count? So at least one full blooded great-grandparent, something like that. There's a way of checking, in any case. Technically qualify for the various benefits in place for someone of native american descent, m'self. Some variation of Creek, iirc.

Personally though, yeah, I differentiate between native in the sense of pedigree and natural born citizen, if only to show a little respect for just how badly europeans and their descendants fucked over the pre-colonial natives. X generation American is a bit different from a Native American, basically. Possibly a bit like the germans and their WWII stuff, except we actually pretty much did pull off genocide and kept the land we murderdozed of the original inhabitants. Probably take another few hundred years before that mess really wears off the social consciousness.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8514 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:47 pm »

Native status is an actual legal thing in Canada. Oddly enough the government sites I've looked at refer to them as 'indians', even though I was taught that calling them that was a slur back when I was in grade school.

I'm not sure what exactly being a native entitles you to in the present, but I'd be willing to bet that it's probably not enough to make up for the near-genocide in the past.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 07:30:19 pm by BlackFlyme »

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8515 on: July 31, 2014, 07:32:08 pm »

Native status is an actual legal thing in Canada. Oddly enough the government sites I've looked at refer to them as 'indians', even though I was taught that calling them that was a slur back when I was in grade school.

I'm not sure what exactly being a native entitles you to in the present, but I'd be willing to bet that it's probably not enough to make up for the near-genocide in the past.
Not nearly enough at all. There's quite a lot of injustice going on about it at the moment, and a vocal section of the populous that believes they deserve it for "being lazy".

It's a bit of a derail I imagine, the reason we're talking about it here.
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8516 on: July 31, 2014, 07:35:33 pm »

So exactly how much of a benefit should having genocided ancestors give you?

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8517 on: July 31, 2014, 07:39:48 pm »

Well, given that they exist as political entities with which we hold treaties with at the moment, I would assume the minimum standard of human decency would be to honor the treaties we signed with them instead of giving large corporations an equal say on what we're doing with their land at the moment. That would be a pretty good start, I think.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8518 on: July 31, 2014, 07:44:45 pm »

So exactly how much of a benefit should having genocided ancestors give you?

There are still many natives alive who lived through it. It was still going on in the 1900's in a less direct way through 'residential schools'.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8519 on: July 31, 2014, 08:22:18 pm »

Yeah. Residential schools stick in my craw, because it's basically the same thing the English did to the Gaelic Scots. Stick them in an Anglo school and whip them to being "civilized" (read: English/British) :/ Disappointing how they dealt out what their ancestors themselves had done to them. (since so many Canadians are Scottish and all)

And what Frumple said. It's respect. Saying "My family lived here for generations, I'm as native as they come!" may be technically correct (The best KIND of correct, I hear!) but it's also technically correct in the same was as the "#NotAllMen" thing was. Yes, it's technically correct, but it's missing the bloody point by a mile.
Pages: 1 ... 566 567 [568] 569 570 ... 1393