Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1747432 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8415 on: July 30, 2014, 05:31:00 am »

Surprisingly enough, people do not want to be killed. You call the "passive", I call them "wanting to live".
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: July 30, 2014, 05:31:55 am »

So what do you call the Russian volunteers who crossed over into Ukraine?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: July 30, 2014, 05:34:43 am »

Surprisingly enough, people do not want to be killed. You call the "passive", I call them "wanting to live".

So graze on, graze, you peaceful peoples!
 You will not wake to honor’s call.
 What need have herds for gifts of freedom?
 They’re used to shears and butcher’s stall,
 For ages to their heirs bequeathing
 Just yokes with ringlets, whips that gall.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: July 30, 2014, 05:36:44 am »

So what do you call the Russian volunteers who crossed over into Ukraine?
Trained, armed and organized people, which were preparing for something like this for a long time?

Seriously, modern fighting requires a lot of skill, training and equipment to not die in 5 minutes to somebody you didn't even see. Weaponized citizens are literally cannon fodder in modern fighting.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: July 30, 2014, 05:46:29 am »

Nonsense, we are talking not about front-line operations but about asymmetric warfare.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: July 30, 2014, 06:12:04 am »

if you think that assymetric warfare doesn't require skill, training and equipment then I have a bridge to sell for you.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: July 30, 2014, 08:24:14 am »

Sure it does, but there's a reason child soldiers are a thing. A bullet's deadliness is independent of who fired it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: July 30, 2014, 08:30:22 am »

Child soldiers are still trained and equipped, like other soldiers. Also bullets are useless against artillery and tanks, which Ukraine has a lot of.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: July 30, 2014, 08:34:32 am »

... not really. Artillery and tanks still require crews and supplies (which themselves requires drivers and such), which are perfectly vulnerable to bullets. Definitely not useless against tanks and artillery, bullets. Don't have to blow up the tank, just have to kill the crew or stop the fuel or ammo from reaching it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: July 30, 2014, 08:37:51 am »

Tank crew is generally inside the tank and thus protected from most bullets. There's ways for infantry to bust a tank, but bullets aren't exactly high on that list.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: July 30, 2014, 08:39:53 am »

Tank drivers dont shit where they work, you know? It might be impossible for an insurgency to destroy a tank in the field, but there's ways around that.
The Bay12 postcard club

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: July 30, 2014, 08:41:49 am »

"Wait until you see their sphincters relax, comrade Komrad."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: July 30, 2014, 08:42:56 am »

Sure it does, but there's a reason child soldiers are a thing. A bullet's deadliness is independent of who fired it.

Child soldiers either exist in backwater shitholes where the soldiers are just thugs without training or use of heavy weaponry or adrenaline junkies who use their age to get close to military personnel and attack incompetently but unexpectedly.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8428 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:12 am »

Tank drivers dont shit where they work, you know? It might be impossible for an insurgency to destroy a tank in the field, but there's ways around that.
Don't be silly, you don't send mere men for that kind of work, that's a job for a one man covert ops who can singlehandedly destroy armies with ease.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: July 30, 2014, 08:52:59 am »

if you think that assymetric warfare doesn't require skill, training and equipment then I have a bridge to sell for you.

Assymetric warfare does require skill, training and equipment, but the most important thing it requires is a vast supply of people who, no matter how skilled they are, are 100% steadfast in their support of the cause and will fight without question. If you have enough of those people you will be able to sustain a guerilla war for years and years. If you actually want to somehow oust your occupiers with force, rather than attrition, that will be extremely difficult and will require training, skill and equipment.

The problem for the Eastern rebels is that they don't have that vast supply of people. They don't have enough.
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 1393