Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1743684 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8250 on: July 27, 2014, 08:29:28 am »

1) Secured Black Sea fleet base (the current government would have thrown them away no doubt)
2) Reputation boost for our Army (the polite people thing)
3) Sanctions hurt foreign assets of our oligarchs, which forces them to invest here.
How 1 and 2 can make live of ordinary Russians better?

3 is naive. That few sanctioned Russian oligarchs will move their money to Asia\South America not invest it in the stagnating Russian economy
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8251 on: July 27, 2014, 08:47:01 am »

1) Secured Black Sea fleet base (the current government would have thrown them away no doubt)
3) Sanctions hurt foreign assets of our oligarchs, which forces them to invest here.

3 is naive. That few sanctioned Russian oligarchs will move their money to Asia\South America not invest it in the stagnating Russian economy
"Russia has only two allies: its army and its navy". Everything that strengthens our army and our navy is beneficial to Russia, and therefore, beneficial to Russian people. Because without them our cities will suffer the same fate as Slavyansk, Donetsk and Lugansk.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8252 on: July 27, 2014, 08:51:53 am »

"Russia has only two allies: its army and its navy". Everything that strengthens our army and our navy is beneficial to Russia, and therefore, beneficial to Russian people. Because without them our cities will suffer the same fate as Slavyansk, Donetsk and Lugansk.

Same fate as in that without them, Russia would massively balkanize? The only country you should really fear invasion from is China.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8253 on: July 27, 2014, 09:11:43 am »

My prediction: a low quality fake
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 09:13:29 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8254 on: July 27, 2014, 09:22:37 am »

Russian cities are already suffering from the effects of Russian government actions. ;)
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8255 on: July 27, 2014, 09:46:24 am »

Heh. Russian small cities are already worse than Slavyansk after two months of fighting. No war is needed. You have African level of poverty outside of large cities
Like on this video,. It is from a Ukrainian TV channel and in Ukrainian\Russian but your eyes will tell you enough about living conditions in a typical small Russian town located 150 km away from Moscow. Start watching from 1:49

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8256 on: July 27, 2014, 11:58:30 am »

The only country you should really fear invasion from is China.

China is too busy dealing with the expansion of American influence around its borders right now. Plus, historically there hasn't been much hostilities between China and Russia except border skirmishes in disputed areas of the border (compare it with numerous bloody wars between Russia and various Western countries). The only Chinese leader who actively claimed Russian territory in recent history and could have attacked Russia was Mao Zedong. However, he is dead.
Unless hardcore nationalists take control of China, it won't try to restore control of Outer Manchuria.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:00:15 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8257 on: July 27, 2014, 12:29:56 pm »

China is too busy dealing with the expansion of American influence around its borders right now. Plus, historically there hasn't been much hostilities between China and Russia except border skirmishes in disputed areas of the border (compare it with numerous bloody wars between Russia and various Western countries). The only Chinese leader who actively claimed Russian territory in recent history and could have attacked Russia was Mao Zedong. However, he is dead.
Unless hardcore nationalists take control of China, it won't try to restore control of Outer Manchuria.

Mao "could have attacked Russia", but not successfully. Mao was a bloated windbag who, through astonishing incompetence as a leader, caused the deaths of 45 million people (roughly the entire population of Spain, approximately 9 Scotlands) within 3 years in the "Great Leap Forward" and I don't even know how many in the Cultural Revolution. God knows how he would have screwed up an invasion of the USSR.

However, China has learned something that Russia has not; there are ways of challenging your rivals that do not necessarily involve outdated 20th century concepts like invading developed neighbours. Rather than some vague irredentist issue being drummed into relevance by the Secret Service for economic/political gain, China has other ways of making Russia dance to their tune. They've already got us dancing to their tune, I'll give them that.

Russian cities are already suffering from the effects of Russian government actions. ;)

Mainiac, UR, I don't mean to make a big thing out of this but hear me out. If you say "heh" or use an emoticon like that after a sentence like that, what effect will it have? Why are you using it? It just seems like a snide, unpleasant thing to say. It's no laughing or smiling matter - Russia is in a terrible state right now and its people are being exploited by very powerful criminals whose influence runs right to the top. That's tragic, and the only thing that can change that is if ordinary Russian people become aware of that. How are you going to encourage ordinary Russians to see things from this perspective if you are snide or sarcastic? It's far more likely that you'll get a negative response and they'll switch off to your point of view.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:40:12 pm by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8258 on: July 27, 2014, 12:58:42 pm »

Mao "could have attacked Russia", but not successfully. Mao was a bloated windbag who, through astonishing incompetence as a leader, caused the deaths of 45 million people (roughly the entire population of Spain, approximately 9 Scotlands) within 3 years in the "Great Leap Forward" and I don't even know how many in the Cultural Revolution. God knows how he would have screwed up an invasion of the USSR.

However, China has learned something that Russia has not; there are ways of challenging your rivals that do not necessarily involve outdated 20th century concepts like invading developed neighbours. Rather than some vague irredentist issue being drummed into relevance by the Secret Service for economic/political gain, China has other ways of making Russia dance to their tune. They've already got us dancing to their tune, I'll give them that.

Mainiac, UR, I don't mean to make a big thing out of this but hear me out. If you say "heh" or use an emoticon like that after a sentence like that, what effect will it have? Why are you using it? It just seems like a snide, unpleasant thing to say. It's no laughing or smiling matter - Russia is in a terrible state right now and its people are being exploited by very powerful criminals whose influence runs right to the top. That's tragic, and the only thing that can change that is if ordinary Russian people become aware of that. How are you going to encourage ordinary Russians to see things from this perspective if you are snide or sarcastic? It's far more likely that you'll get a negative response and they'll switch off to your point of view.
Man, if you told that (bolded part) to the USA earlier, we could have prevented the war in Iraq! And in Afghanistan. And in Yugoslavia. And... you get my point, right? When USA does it, it gets no sanctions. Russia? Instant sanctions. Hell even Europe was allowed to bomb Libya into the living hell it is right now and suffer no consequences. And that's unfair.

And...
Heh. Russian small cities are already worse than Slavyansk after two months of fighting. No war is needed. You have African level of poverty outside of large cities
Like on this video,. It is from a Ukrainian TV channel and in Ukrainian\Russian but your eyes will tell you enough about living conditions in a typical small Russian town located 150 km away from Moscow. Start watching from 1:49

Surprisingly enough, the second place I visited the most in my life is located ~600 kms from Moscow, and I didn't see widespread poverty there.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 01:09:54 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8259 on: July 27, 2014, 01:03:11 pm »

Man, if you told that (bolded part) to the USA earlier, we could have prevented the war in Iraq! And in Afghanistan. And in Yugoslavia. And... you get my point, right? When USA does it, it gets no sanctions. Russia? Instant sanctions. Hell even Europe was allowed to bomb Libya into the living hell it is right now and suffer no consequences. And that's unfair.

Of course it is, I agree with you on all counts 100%. It is terribly unfair and both Russia and the USA and a number of European countries, particularly the UK, should be penalised fairly for their actions. You may notice though that now we've had our hands burned so badly in Iraq and Afghanistan we've taken to the role of arming rebels and bombing the hell out of people, like in Libya. We've moved on while Russia is still trying to pull South-Ossetia like maneuvers in Ukraine.

However, perhaps I should have placed "developed" in italics for emphasis - invading Ukraine is an altogether different experience to invading Yugoslavia or Afghanistan.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8260 on: July 27, 2014, 01:15:41 pm »

Of course it is, I agree with you on all counts 100%. It is terribly unfair and both Russia and the USA and a number of European countries, particularly the UK, should be penalised fairly for their actions. You may notice though that now we've had our hands burned so badly in Iraq and Afghanistan we've taken to the role of arming rebels and bombing the hell out of people, like in Libya. We've moved on while Russia is still trying to pull South-Ossetia like maneuvers in Ukraine.

However, perhaps I should have placed "developed" in italics for emphasis - invading Ukraine is an altogether different experience to invading Yugoslavia or Afghanistan.

Do you consider "first world" citizens to be inherently more valuable than the "third world", or "undeveloped" ones? :o
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8261 on: July 27, 2014, 01:18:52 pm »

Owlbeard, I believe that Russia can't be cured of it's current ideology in any other way but how Germany was cured from Nazism: Lost war, ruined country, huge territorial loses. I only hope that this will happen in an economical war without large-scale warfare , or worse, nuclear WW3

I am deadly sure that talking with a Soviet-Russian explaining him that his current system is wrong, just as effective as discussing with 1930s Nazi-German explaining him how bad Hitler is. Useless.
Don't expect from me anything but sarcasm and gloating over all failures of Russian Federation

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #8262 on: July 27, 2014, 01:21:33 pm »

Putin isn't Hitler. He's a right eejit, but not Hitler.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8263 on: July 27, 2014, 01:24:28 pm »

UR, you'd be surprised at how popular neo-nazistic movements are in Germany. They even have a special clothes brand aimed for these groups!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Steinar look it up
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8264 on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:35 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 549 550 [551] 552 553 ... 1393