Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744253 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #8055 on: July 23, 2014, 04:31:13 am »

Meanwhile, Ukraine parliament has outlawed Ukrainian Communist party.
"They came first for Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist...".

Also, apparently this is how democracy works. Beating and removing people for voicing different opinion is okay, it seems.
Before democratically-minded people tear you apart, I'll clarify: so far, the Ukrainian parliament has only banned the Communists from appearing in the parliament - they banned the parliamentary fraction of the Communist Party. The legal process of outlawing the Communist Party itself is still in the works.

In other democratic news, RT has got into trouble with the British media watchdog agency Ofcom, which has started an inquiry about the channel not being objective and impartial enough. It may (and probably will) result in RT being officially banned from the airwaves in the United Kingdom.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 04:47:48 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: July 23, 2014, 05:09:52 am »

"They came first for Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist...".

Also, apparently this is how democracy works. Beating and removing people for voicing different opinion is okay, it seems.
Their ideology has nothing to do with the ban (of cause Sovietism should be banned, Stalin's portrait in Ukraine is like Hitler's portraits in Israel. Communism can stay. It's just an economic theory. Stupid one, but that is a matter of opinion unlike glorifying Soviet criminals)

The party will be banned soon for direct support of intervention. Kicking them out of parliament is only the first step
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: July 23, 2014, 05:48:54 am »

In other democratic news, RT has got into trouble with the British media watchdog agency Ofcom, which has started an inquiry about the channel not being objective and impartial enough. It may (and probably will) result in RT being officially banned from the airwaves in the United Kingdom.
It's far more likely they will just be fined. In 2013 they were hit for bias over broadcasts relating the Syrian conflict. You can read the complete report here (starts page 6, goes on for a while). It boils down to them showing a propaganda video from Rossiya 24 about how horrific the Syrian opposition is and then trying (unsuccessfully) to argue it didn't need to be unbiased.

British journalism tends towards the confrontational and aggressive. Interviewers are expected to challenge the statements of the interviewees and bring forwards opposition views, even when those views are objectionable or marginal. Every report is expected to contain some due representation of opposing arguments or at least representation and comment from other policy views. That includes documentary or commentary pieces in nearly all cases; hell, most effective persuasive documentaries start with the opposition position and then deconstruct it throughout the program. RT seemed to believe this doesn't apply to them. Note that despite this not being their first offence they were only called to a meeting and didn't immediately face any sanction.

The only way I can think of them completely losing their license would be if it went the Press TV route. They lost their license because, despite their license being for operations in the UK, their editorial decisions were made directly from Tehran. Even their ignoring a previous fine wasn't enough for them to be removed.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:30 am »

I think at this point we have all seen that Russian and Western media seem to exist in alternative realities. That's a huge problem, not only in the discussions here, but generally because it feeds paranoia and distrust.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: July 23, 2014, 07:17:44 am »

Naughty Svobodovtsy

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: July 23, 2014, 07:44:42 am »

I think at this point we have all seen that Russian and Western media seem to exist in alternative realities. That's a huge problem, not only in the discussions here, but generally because it feeds paranoia and distrust.

Although there is great humor in seeing Russians say that elections aren't fair and media isn't free.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: July 23, 2014, 07:56:21 am »

I personally think that humor, irony and sarcasm should be banned in politics.
._.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: July 23, 2014, 08:04:03 am »

Although there is great humor in seeing Russians say that elections aren't fair and media isn't free.
It would all be a lot funnier if the people who believe all that crap were as politically powerless as the average citizen in Best Korea, which they are not.
I understand that they think our governments and media are essentially the same as what they know and see at home, but that seems to rather enforce the whole block thinking and it complicates any sort of mutual understanding.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: July 23, 2014, 08:18:20 am »

The media has a large responsability. But as long as a majority of journalists are recruited based on their loyalty to socio-economical structures, as is in both West and East, rather than based on their observing and writing skills, I fear not much will change there.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8066 on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:53 am »

Did they have any proof? None that they have presented, beyond references to social media chatter.
>Confession = 'social media chatter'
Right-o RT.
Y'know, I would have asked what exactly they were getting in trouble for, but I think I can guess.

British journalism tends towards the confrontational and aggressive. Interviewers are expected to challenge the statements of the interviewees and bring forwards opposition views, even when those views are objectionable or marginal. Every report is expected to contain some due representation of opposing arguments or at least representation and comment from other policy views. That includes documentary or commentary pieces in nearly all cases; hell, most effective persuasive documentaries start with the opposition position and then deconstruct it throughout the program.
This OFcom sounds like something we don't have in America and suffer for want of. (grammar?)

Their ideology has nothing to do with the ban (of cause Sovietism should be banned, Stalin's portrait in Ukraine is like Hitler's portraits in Israel. Communism can stay. It's just an economic theory. Stupid one, but that is a matter of opinion unlike glorifying Soviet criminals)

The party will be banned soon for direct support of intervention. Kicking them out of parliament is only the first step
Lovely, sounds like a witch-hunt. Was it anything in particular that set the rada off?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: July 23, 2014, 09:14:06 am »

Lovely, sounds like a witch-hunt. Was it anything in particular that set the rada off?
Looks like this is over them supporting the rebels, which is deemed unconstitutional.

A party losing fraction status in parliament is not necessarily that unusual, don't know how it is in Ukraine, but around here fraction status (which brings certain privileges) can depend on the number of seats a party (or group of cooperating parties/MPs) has. Apparently some MPs left the Communist Party, but I don't know if that was the reason behind it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: July 23, 2014, 09:24:06 am »

They showed that on CNN yesterday, it was because the Donetsk region representative (they said Donetsk region MP) protested and called the Ukranians evil or something along the lines of that, I don't remember the exact words. Whatever the exact words were, it was enough to rile up the nationalists to go and shut him/her (think it was a guy) up.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be healthier to let congress go and brawl each other, might release some steam, but then again, we're supposed to be above that kind of behavior and it would be kind of embarrassing to have congress go and brawl.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:29:46 am by smjjames »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: July 23, 2014, 09:41:33 am »

Sometimes I wonder if it would be healthier to let congress go and brawl each other, might release some steam, but then again, we're supposed to be above that kind of behavior and it would be kind of embarrassing to have congress go and brawl.
It's does not exactly look like a sign of a "grown up" democracy, but then it's not like these things don't happen elsewhere too. Seems to have happened a lot in Ukraine recently, but it's not surprising they're a bit stressed right now.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1393