Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744844 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7890 on: July 20, 2014, 06:28:56 pm »

...gay gene?
The article is a good summary of the idea and topic, if slightly outdated now. Otherwise google is your friend.

To be unhelpful and stupidly pedantic, they're all tabloids now since they gave up broadsheet format.
Telegraph is still broadsheet, while the Guardian/Observer are Berliner, seemingly just so they aren't tabloids...

Even so, there was a traditional divide between the red tops and compacts, with the red tops being openly sensationalist and populist while the others are just generally awful in their own ways.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: July 20, 2014, 07:10:11 pm »

David Cameron has personally accused Putin of "contributing to an appalling tragedy" over the plane being shot down, promising the freezing of Russian assets etc. But to be frank, Putin has done far, far worse than this. For his actions in Chechnya alone he deserves to be put away in prison for the rest of his life. I gain no satisfaction from this and I doubt the families of his victims ever will.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: July 20, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »

BBC has been given footage by a local rebel group of them searching the wreckage in the immediate aftermath.

It shows them going through bags and belongings, seemingly focused on getting hold of the black boxes as well as memory sticks and other information. They seem to be comfortable releasing this, saying it doesn't show them doing anything wrong.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: July 21, 2014, 03:09:37 am »

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: July 21, 2014, 03:44:26 am »

Yeah, seems legitimate.

-removed my tl;dr, misread a sentence-
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:31:57 am by Dutchling »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: July 21, 2014, 04:03:03 am »

It seems the UK government is keen on going back to Cold War status with Russia.

David Cameron wrote a letter today, to be published in major Dutch newspapers.
In this letter he advocates stronger action and even compares Putin to Hitler, albeit indirectly.

He wrote: "In Europe, we should not be reminded of what happens, when we look away, when smaller nations are bullied by larger nations. Yet we need to be reminded."

and

"Almost 25 years ago, the NATO meeting that ended the Cold War was held in Great-Britain.
Six weeks from now, another NATO meeting, which has Russian relations as it's main theme, will be held in Great-Britain.
It is up to Russia to decide how relations will develop."

The full letter can be read here, for those who can read Dutch: http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/3184/opinie/article/detail/3692784/2014/07/21/De-ingezonden-brief-van-David-Cameron-Het-is-tijd-om-onze-macht-te-doen-gelden.dhtml
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7897 on: July 21, 2014, 04:06:11 am »

I wonder how much that will strengthen the No votes...
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: July 21, 2014, 04:22:08 am »

Question to Dutch bay12yers
Spoiler: rough translation (click to show/hide)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: July 21, 2014, 04:27:18 am »

Question to Dutch bay12yers
Is that a real letter from Dutch soldiers to Dutch Ministry of Defense? What does it say?]

I have translated the letter for you, here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this authentic? Possible. Dutch military are entitled to have a personal opinion, and if they so wish, express this to the minister of Defense (Mrs. J.A. Hennis-Plasschaert) in a letter.
Does this mean anything? Not really, except show the sentiment that a lot of people here have, which is logical just days after losing that many fellow countrymen.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: July 21, 2014, 04:33:57 am »

Yeah, it's really only the people who read the Dutch versions of the papers LW posted who share his sentiment. That and a bunch of soldiers I guess.

Not particularly competent soldiers, that is. I'm pretty sure we're still waiting for our helicopter from when we tried to rescue some people in Libya -.-'

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7901 on: July 21, 2014, 05:00:48 am »

Kiev willing to hand control of crash probe to West

This would make sense as far as having an impartial investigation goes. And I bet Kiev wouldn't mind having foreign investigators milling around the rebel-held areas and observing everything that's going on, including the Russian influence...

Also Fighting erupts in Ukraine as crash investigators arrive
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7902 on: July 21, 2014, 05:03:31 am »

This would make sense as far as having an impartial investigation goes. And I bet Kiev wouldn't mind having foreign investigators milling around the rebel-held areas and observing everything that's going on, including the Russian influence...

It's not like there weren't foreign investigators there before (OBSE)
._.

Myrkky100

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: July 21, 2014, 05:19:14 am »

It's not like there weren't foreign investigators there before (OBSE)

Yep, but I think this proposal would mean more people for a longer time and as representatives of their own country instead of OSCE.
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.
- Tacitus

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: July 21, 2014, 05:47:13 am »

My favourite one was MASSACRE IN THE SKY AS RUSSIAN MISSILE SHOOTS DOWN MALAYSIAN AIRLINES FLIGHT
Very calm

What exactly is the problem with this statement?  Is this a massacre?  Well a large number of people were killed indiscriminately.  That meets the dictionary definition of massacre.  It took place in the sky.  The flight was shot down. The weapon that did the shooting was directly supplied by the Russian government, a "russian missile" without the slightest bit of exaggeration.  Not one word is inaccurate nor exaggerated.

It's important not to rush to judgement but this late in the game it isn't rushing to judgement to conclude the obvious.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1393