Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745393 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7695 on: July 17, 2014, 03:49:31 pm »

Perhaps if Belarus was no longer so closely allied with Russia and positioned against the West it would no longer be such a target? The purpose of the Warsaw Pact puppet states was to slow down an invasion of the Eastern Bloc by the West, ensuring that the fighting wouldn't go on in good Soviet territory. Belarus right now is in the same position.
Don't say that to Soviet-minded people :) They believe that should cold war went hot they would be in Portugal weeks later
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: July 17, 2014, 03:51:36 pm »

Don't say that to Soviet-minded people :) They believe that should cold war went hot they would be in Portugal weeks later

Yes, sunning themselves on Portuguese beaches, no doubt. Standing up of course.

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: July 17, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »

Since the plane crash can possibly be used by the US government and NATO as as pretext for war against Russia, I'm rather concerned with the recent events.

Yeah, totally, it's like the first time ever shit hits the fan in the East because of Russia, Georgia has never been invaded, Crimea has never been annexed, "green people" came from Mars and bought APCs in angler's shop, it's not like Russian bombers have ever flown into other countries' airspace xD
Oh, and Russians never shot at a civilian airplane, ever.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:56:16 pm by Kicior »
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7698 on: July 17, 2014, 03:55:22 pm »

Perhaps if Belarus was no longer so closely allied with Russia and positioned against the West it would no longer be such a target? The purpose of the Warsaw Pact puppet states was to slow down an invasion of the Eastern Bloc by the West, ensuring that the fighting wouldn't go on in good Soviet territory. Belarus right now is in the same position.
When was the pact made? Soon after the nazis stormed right in? Different story compared to the height of the cold war when Russia would have had the upper hand in a ground war.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: July 17, 2014, 04:07:11 pm »

Security Service of Ukraine intercepted some calls related to the plane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnuHxAR01Jo

The last words are.... I can't express my disgust enough
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: July 17, 2014, 04:13:01 pm »

I can't watch videos right now.  What does it say?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: July 17, 2014, 04:14:57 pm »

RT has extracts from Putin's statement.
Russian President Putin believes Ukraine responsible for Malaysian airliner tragedy.

“Obviously, the state over whose territory it happened bears responsibility for this terrible tragedy,” Putin said as cited by Itar-Tass.

“This tragedy would not have happened if there was peace on this land, if military action in the southeast of Ukraine had not been resumed,” he believes.
So... there's that...

Also we now have a partial list of the nationalities of the passengers. I make it another 47 (not counting crew) unreleased.

I can't watch videos right now.  What does it say?
Transcript on Reddit from a while ago.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: July 17, 2014, 04:25:44 pm »

We've just got word of the nationalities of those on board MH17 from Malaysia Airlines:
 •154 were Dutch
 •38 were Malaysian -- 23 passengers and all 15 crew members
 •27 were Australian
 •11 were Indonesian
 •6 were British
 •4 were Belgian
 •4 were German
 •3 were Filipino
 •1 was Canadian

That leaves 47 whose nationalities are unknown at this point.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: July 17, 2014, 04:39:03 pm »

That's about an international as you can get (well, you could get more nationalities, yes).

As for the last bit in the transcript saying 'who cares, it's war', well, whether or not it's just that one person speaking or if the leadership thinks like that as well, they're going to pay the price for such callousness (and Russia for giving them the equipment if that's where it came from).

Any legitmacy that the rebels have is probably now lost.....

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:29 pm »

Olympic games, invasion into a neighboring country, shot down passenger jet, leader that rules more than 10 years, economy that feeds on high oil prices...

Russia 2014 = USSR early 1980s?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: July 17, 2014, 04:55:21 pm »

Any legitmacy that the rebels have is probably now lost.....
Nah, the Russians will deny everything and the Russians are the only ones who saw them as legitimate before.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: July 17, 2014, 05:00:20 pm »

Olympic games, invasion into a neighboring country, shot down passenger jet, leader that rules more than 10 years, economy that feeds on high oil prices...

Russia 2014 = USSR early 1980s?

Sounds like history is repeating itself, sortof.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: July 17, 2014, 05:08:08 pm »

German media cite some hints pointing at the rebels as the ones who shot down the plane:
- in June rebels took over Ukrainian military base A-1402, where there was a Buk (can shoot 18km high) and a mobile radar system type Kupol (can locate targets with 160km radius). So technically speaking they are equipped to shoot down such a plane.
- they have already shot down an AN-26 on Monday and an Ukrainian fighter jet on Wednesday
- Thursday 17:50, Igor Strelkov posted on VK.com (his post is deleted now), bragging that rebels had shot down another AN-26 near the village Rassypnoje. There was also video footage posted, that showed smoke rising from a field.
- now the rebels make contradictory statements about the crash site, naming Rassypnoje but also other villages in the near area

Apparently the rebels blame an Ukrainian fighter jet for shooting down the plane, some Russian media also have this version.
Putin blames Ukraine indirectly, saying it wouldn't have happened without the fighting in Eastern Ukraine.

There will be an international commission looking into the crash, for now the rebel have the black box, though they say they will hand it over.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: July 17, 2014, 05:21:29 pm »

- in June rebels took over Ukrainian military base A-1402, where there was a Buk (can shoot 18km high) and a mobile radar system type Kupol (can locate targets with 160km radius). So technically speaking they are equipped to shoot down such a plane.
That is rebels' claim. Our side denies that.
Separatists are known to say  "we captured new equipment from Ukraine" every time when new "toys" delivered from Russia

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: July 17, 2014, 05:24:26 pm »

That is rebels' claim. Our side denies that.
Separatists are known to say  "we captured new equipment from Ukraine" every time when new "toys" delivered from Russia
Well, the point is, now they claim they can only shoot things in 4km height, when in late June they bragged about this equipment.
So no matter where the equipment came from (maybe your government didn't want to admit the loss, maybe it came from somewhere else), the rebels are making contradictory statements about what equipment they have, so that makes it look like they are lying now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 05:27:40 pm by XXSockXX »
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 1393