Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746598 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7365 on: July 07, 2014, 06:21:18 pm »

If the international community allows itself to be played with, then duh.

This is an excellent point. Russia will come out on top in this over the West, it's just a question about how much the International Community is willing to concede and what exactly they are comfortable with. They may be comfortable with a neutral Ukraine, soundly beaten and traumatised sans Crimea (another warning to Russian neighbours, just like Georgia after the 2008 war) with autonomy in the East and a greater balance in global power between Russia and the States and the EU.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:23:32 pm by Owlbread »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7366 on: July 07, 2014, 06:27:43 pm »

because it's too busy doing incredibly aggressive actions aimed at restoring the Russian Empire such as calling for the creation of joint contact groups for starting ceasefire negotiations, so dealing with Ukrainian fighter jets will be rather difficult.

Is this some sort of trap whereby someone points out the blindingly obvious Hitler parallel and you use that to say that anyone critical of Russia is an extremist?

Because I for one am not going to just pass by the Hitler thing.  I'm just going to point out that Putin has repeatedly lied in the past with regards to this crisis and we didn't believe him then either.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/03/04/285653335/putin-says-those-arent-russian-forces-in-crimea

So... are you actually that naive or what?

Akhmetov's (steel magnate)  role in all that shit is very blurry. He is a major player and tries to save his capitals from both Ukrainian revolution and Russian influence and balances between both forces...

Whatever his motivations I think the important thing here is that he is not hostile towards control of the city by the Ukrainian government.  That means that any territory controlled by his forces is territory that government forces dont have to forcibly evict the separatists from and consequently less fighting.  Long term his motivations will matter but I was just talking about the immediate fight.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7367 on: July 07, 2014, 11:08:52 pm »

Careful, now. Remember what happened to the Ukraine thread?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7368 on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:34 am »

Careful, now. Remember what happened all the Ukraine threads?
FTFY
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7369 on: July 08, 2014, 03:58:13 pm »

Spoiler: That forced me to lol (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7370 on: July 08, 2014, 09:18:18 pm »

In Scotland we're still waiting on the next lot of opinion polls. Campaigning has started formally last month or so (so I'm quite active these days) but it hasn't intensified yet. It's still the death-throes of the phony war; that will come to an end when Alex Salmond debates either Alistair Darling or David Cameron after the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

In the meantime I found this article very uplifting.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7371 on: July 08, 2014, 09:19:04 pm »

That is a glorious fuck-up of the BBCode, my dear bready bird.

Edit: YOU WERE TOO SLOW!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7372 on: July 08, 2014, 09:21:22 pm »

That is a glorious fuck-up of the BBCode, my dear bready bird.

Edit: YOU WERE TOO SLOW!

Damn and blast. I just couldn't get it in time.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7373 on: July 08, 2014, 09:22:56 pm »

S'alright, s'not like I'm picture perfect when I write bbcode by hand, either.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7374 on: July 09, 2014, 06:20:50 am »

Out of curiosity, let's have a Bay12 poll on Scottish independence.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7375 on: July 09, 2014, 06:21:25 am »

How about a third option, "Just to screw over the UK"?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7376 on: July 09, 2014, 06:26:21 am »

We can have a second poll later about why you'd vote yes/no.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7377 on: July 09, 2014, 07:44:19 am »

Thus far we have 4 Unionists. If any are willing to come forward (you do not have to, don't worry) I would be more than happy to gently massage your worried brains with my words of reassurance, dispelling whatever fears you may have about independence.

Here is an interesting article by a Canadian-American about his thoughts on independence.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:48:15 am by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7378 on: July 09, 2014, 07:45:52 am »

I voted independence, because anything that divides our potential enemies is a good thing...
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7379 on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:07 am »

I voted independence, because anything that divides our potential enemies is a good thing...

Who says Scotland would be an enemy of Russia? I think we would be the best of friends. I mean, obviously we'd condemn the stuff in Ukraine and the attitude to LGBT rights and human rights in general but business-wise we'd be pretty close.

Though it's difficult to gauge, I can say my views on Ukraine and Russian politics are not mainstream here. People don't really think much about it at all, it's not in their sphere of consciousness. There is a long history of Scottish cooperation with Russia dating back to at least the time of Catherine the Great (she was very fond of Lowland Scottish artisans), or perhaps the mid-late 1600s; this is represented today by the numerous organisations and forums that foster strong links with Russia and Belarus and much of that area.

The most successful one I know of is involved in fostering Belarusian children who were affected by the Chernobyl disaster and general poverty; there are quite a few Belarusian children in my county for this reason.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:58:26 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 490 491 [492] 493 494 ... 1393