Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746663 times)

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7350 on: July 06, 2014, 09:06:04 am »

They have tanks, they have IFVs, they have MRLSes.

All those mean nothing before the might of the
Spoiler: patriotic ferrari! (click to show/hide)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: July 06, 2014, 11:48:37 am »

minor edit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rebel IFV in Donetsk, marked "To Kiev"
Wait, they have modern IFVs now?
It's a BMP-2, which can probably be considered modern - it's in service since 1980.  It's definitely top notch comparing to the rest of rebel armour vehicles (WW2 tanks, very old and rusty T-64s, some captured APCs, etc.).

According to rebel sources, which are exclusively in Russian, they've been harassing Ukrainian forces in Slavyansk during the night. Right now, pro-Russian forces are preparing for the inevitable Ukrainian assault of Donetsk.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: July 07, 2014, 08:38:27 am »

Apparently Ukraine has decided not to do a cease fire while the rebels make their last stands in Donetsk and Luhansk.

Maybe they should recruit US advisors for the coming urban warfare because Ukraine has no experience with this kind of thing,

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-07/ukraine-seeks-liquidation-of-rebel-bases-in-battle-torn-east.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/07/us-ukraine-crisis-idUSKBN0FC11520140707

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/2014-07-07/ukraine-bridge-explosion-blocks-road-to-donetsk

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: July 07, 2014, 11:42:59 am »

I read they'll lay siege to the city to avoid civilian casualties - plus storming the city would result in heavy losses on the army's side as well.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: July 07, 2014, 12:11:16 pm »

Yeah, seigeing would be better given how bloody the urban warfare could get, and I hear Donetsk is like four or five times bigger than Slavyansk.

They already destroyed three bridges, so they did part of the siege preparation already for the Ukranians.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: July 07, 2014, 01:20:11 pm »

I hear Donetsk is like four or five times bigger than Slavyansk.
Donetsk-Makiivka agglomeration is ten times bigger by population and twenty times larger by area

We are talking  about something like 750 square kilometers of urban terrain and more than one million people living here
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7356 on: July 07, 2014, 03:11:18 pm »

But do they even control a majority of that?  Didn't the pro-government militias seize control of a big chunk of the city when that steel magnate threw his hat into the private army ring?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: July 07, 2014, 03:17:01 pm »

They would still have to do urban warfare, which would be bloody.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: July 07, 2014, 03:39:04 pm »

They would still have to do urban warfare, which would be bloody.
I suspect snipers will return to the rooftops, this time on both sides. So yeah, expect casulties.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: July 07, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »

Akhmetov's (steel magnate)  role in all that shit is very blurry. He is a major player and tries to save his capitals from both Ukrainian revolution and Russian influence and balances between both forces...

Akhmetov is not a former commie like most of our Oligarchs. He is an organized crime leader. He started as a leader of a small violent gang and spilled a lot of blood on his road to billionaire who owns the region... Majority of police, local councils and mayors and more are heavily influenced by him.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: July 07, 2014, 03:55:33 pm »

i will burst into treats if akhmetov ends up taking over everything

it's not really feasible but neither is me bursting into treats

it will be a delicious demise

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: July 07, 2014, 04:36:39 pm »

i will burst into treats if
No need to make that a conditional thing
* Dutchling grabs the sledgehammer

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: July 07, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »

In other, more recent news, according to some Russian reports, a slightly damaged Ukrainian Su-25 aircraft has reportedly made an emergency landing at a rebel controlled airstrip. The plane and its pilot were captured. Pro-Russian forces are planning to use it against the Ukrainian army. However, Russia won't provide any air support, because it's too busy doing incredibly aggressive actions aimed at restoring the Russian Empire such as calling for the creation of joint contact groups for starting ceasefire negotiations, so dealing with Ukrainian fighter jets will be rather difficult. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 05:11:45 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: July 07, 2014, 05:53:31 pm »

However, Russia won't provide any air support, because it's too busy doing incredibly aggressive actions aimed at restoring the Russian Empire such as calling for the creation of joint contact groups for starting ceasefire negotiations

Why would the mafia ruling Russia need to perform any more aggressive military actions to rebuild the Russian Empire (e.g. starting a war) when they can play the international community like professionals and have plenty of guys like you on their side, willfully blind to their machinations? According to the election results in 2012 there's at least 46 million of them. Combine that with the 2010 elections in Belarus and you've got 50 million.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:05:45 pm by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: July 07, 2014, 06:14:25 pm »

However, Russia won't provide any air support, because it's too busy doing incredibly aggressive actions aimed at restoring the Russian Empire such as calling for the creation of joint contact groups for starting ceasefire negotiations

Why would the mafia ruling Russia need to perform any more aggressive military actions to rebuild the Russian Empire (e.g. starting a war) when they can play the international community like professionals and have plenty of guys like you on their side, willfully blind to their machinations? According to the election results in 2012 there's at least 46 million of them. Combine that with the 2010 elections in Belarus and you've got 50 million.
If the international community allows itself to be played with, then duh.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1393