Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746889 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #7215 on: July 02, 2014, 02:43:52 pm »

That has got to be the worst looking building where anybody plans to govern anything from.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: July 02, 2014, 02:46:15 pm »

I'dunno, have you seen some of those lairs that Evil Overlords tend to live in? Exterior designers they are not.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: July 02, 2014, 02:50:37 pm »

I thought these were upside-down boots, possibly symbolizing a lack of funds...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: July 02, 2014, 02:52:09 pm »

The Scottish Parliament building.
It looks like someone copypasted a three year old's drawing of a gun onto the building and made it poo brown, blue and white.

Looks more like it would be some sort of museum or something, not a government building.

Also, how is the alternative one 'nationalist shibboleth'? Though looks like it could use some renovation. By 'old royal high school' you mean the royalty and nobles used to use it?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: July 02, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »

It looks nicer inside, take a look at the main debating chamber:

I think the strange things in the roof are meant to remind you of the hulls of boats.

Looks more like it would be some sort of museum or something, not a government building.

Also, how is the alternative one 'nationalist shibboleth'? Though looks like it could use some renovation. By 'old royal high school' you mean the royalty and nobles used to use it?

The alternative one was actually the original site for the proposed Scottish "Assembly" from the old devolution vote we had back in 1979. It became a symbol of Scottish devolution and so on as a result, so Labour considered it "tainted" with nationalism. So, taking a big swig from that hot cup of spite, they pissed £414 million that could have been spent on hospitals and schools up the wall just to get at the Nationalists. Genuine left-wing party, that.

Royal doesn't mean that royalty used it though, we have lots of royal places that are just called "royal" because the King/Queen endorsed it. I don't know what students used it when it was created back in the first part of the 1800s.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:01:56 pm by Owlbread »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: July 02, 2014, 03:25:44 pm »

who designed that... thing?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: July 02, 2014, 03:27:18 pm »

Can't remember his name. He died before he could complete it, though.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: July 02, 2014, 03:40:01 pm »

Can't remember his name. He died before he could complete it, though.

I think some deity was trying to send a message.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: July 02, 2014, 03:54:31 pm »

I feel physically sick after looking at that... thing.

why does postmo always look so UGLY AS HELL AAAARGH
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: July 02, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »

That lobby looks pretty sweet.

Doesn't forgive the awful exterior though.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: July 02, 2014, 03:59:50 pm »

Yea.

You know those weird things over the windows? They're meant to look like single drawn curtains or something.

And the whole thing is meant to create a sense of connection between the Scottish and the Land.

They may have failed.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7226 on: July 02, 2014, 04:05:46 pm »

Here in Wales we went for more of a minimalist approach to the Senedd building...

Apparently it was designed with sustainability in mind, though how sustainable a £70,000,000 construction is could be debatable. To its credit though as much of the buildings materials came from local sources, and there are plenty of environmental features such as biomass derived heating, rain water reclamation and geothermal heating
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: July 02, 2014, 04:23:02 pm »

Scotland has a history of atrocious architecture from the Labour Party. They took interest in a diabolical architectural movement called Scottish Brutalism:

Sometimes I think that police station looks like a building from Robocop or something.

But by far the best example of Labour's artistic talents is the 1960s-built "New Town" of Cumbernauld

Spoiler: Cumbernauld College (click to show/hide)

i.e. at its best. God help us. It's virtually impossible to find any good pictures of the town because it looks so bad nobody takes photographs of it.

Craig Ferguson comes from Cumbernauld. Need I say anymore? Instead of getting rid of Trident we should just expend all of the ammunition on Fife that town and have done with it.

Here in Wales we went for more of a minimalist approach to the Senedd building...

Apparently it was designed with sustainability in mind, though how sustainable a £70,000,000 construction is could be debatable. To its credit though as much of the buildings materials came from local sources, and there are plenty of environmental features such as biomass derived heating, rain water reclamation and geothermal heating

At least it's cheaper than our building for heaven's sake. I think though the Welsh Assembly building is definitely an "Assembly" building i.e. visibly inferior to something like the Scottish Parliament or Westminster Parliament in grandiosity. It indicates Labour's mindset at the time - the Welsh don't deserve something as fancy/nice as that, we'll just give them this thing and brush them to one side. Hopefully it won't be long before they start churning out MPs and activists.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 04:24:52 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: July 02, 2014, 04:24:51 pm »

Scotland confirmed for East Germany.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: July 02, 2014, 04:27:26 pm »

My coworker described one of those buildings as "brutal".  I think that pretty much sums things up.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 1393