Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748176 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6885 on: June 23, 2014, 08:09:52 am »

An interesting article. "Why are so many Asian Scots voting Yes?" - according to a radio poll, around 64% of Scots Asians (mostly the Pakistani Muslim community but some Indian Hindus and Pakistani Christians etc) support Scottish independence with only 32% against.

If only they didn't make up 2% of the population. I wish they made up 80%, I really do.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:12:38 am by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: June 23, 2014, 08:14:12 am »

owlbread sounds disturbingly like me playing victoria 2

"this particular group supports my interests. let's replace everything with it"

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: June 23, 2014, 08:16:23 am »

owlbread sounds disturbingly like me playing victoria 2

"this particular group supports my interests. let's replace everything with it"

Well, there's "my interests" and there's what I perceive to be in the interests of the whole nation.

I think most people have thought at some point "I wish the majority of people thought this way, the world would be a better place", whether they're social democrats or anti-war or anti-discrimination or socially conservative or who knows.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: June 23, 2014, 08:22:31 am »

don't try and weasel me here, the interests of the nation are a superset of your interests

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: June 23, 2014, 08:28:10 am »

don't try and weasel me here, the interests of the nation are a superset of your interests

They are, yes, I admit this. That said I still think it's for the good of everyone.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6890 on: June 23, 2014, 08:43:01 am »

They are, yes, I admit this. That said I still think it's for the good of everyone.
Well you're hardly going to want something that you think is bad for everyone.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:36 am »

Unless I was Kim jong-il, in which case I'd want something that I think is best for me; it doesn't necessarily have to be good for everyone. I have never heard it confirmed but I'm sure I heard he said that as long as 10% of the population survives, everything will be fine.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: June 23, 2014, 09:03:53 am »

Unless I was Kim jong-il, in which case I'd want something that I think is best for me; it doesn't necessarily have to be good for everyone. I have never heard it confirmed but I'm sure I heard he said that as long as 10% of the population survives, everything will be fine.

That's pretty delusional since that is a massive decrease in manpower. Of course though, everybody agrees that NK is delusional.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: June 23, 2014, 09:16:20 am »

But if the population was 80% Muslim (Or close to, as you mentioned other groups too) wouldn't they vote independent from the U.K. then set up Sharia law and muslim courts and all that what-not? Presumably to get such a huge increase in numbers you'd need to import them from countries that have such things. Sharia law encourages things such as domestic violence is the woman is disobedient...so I don't think it's a particularly good idea.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: June 23, 2014, 09:18:10 am »

That's pretty delusional since that is a massive decrease in manpower. Of course though, everybody agrees that NK is delusional the best nation in the world and the last stand against the evil of the west.
FTFY

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: June 23, 2014, 10:02:25 am »

But if the population was 80% Muslim (Or close to, as you mentioned other groups too) wouldn't they vote independent from the U.K. then set up Sharia law and muslim courts and all that what-not?

This can be avoided if the secular nature of the state is enshrined in a written constitution. Your argument is pretty bogus - the same could be said if the population was 80% Christian that it would lead to the implementation of homophobic laws as in Russia or a variety of other unpleasantries that we experienced in the 19th century.

Presumably to get such a huge increase in numbers you'd need to import them from countries that have such things.

I never said this was a practical idea, this is a wish. Like "I wish I had £1,000,000."

Sharia law encourages things such as domestic violence is the woman is disobedient...so I don't think it's a particularly good idea.

A Muslim majority country doesn't have to have Sharia law. There are many that do not.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:08:58 am by Owlbread »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: June 23, 2014, 10:14:53 am »

Indonesian religious laws are pretty interesting: You have to have a religion, and it has to be a monotheistic one (with Buddhism and Hinduism being shoehorned in). Even though there's loads and loads of tribal religions, and also atheists/agnostics...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: June 23, 2014, 10:21:24 am »

Most Muslims would seek to further Sharia law.

An 80% majority, and I can't see it not being done. And as for other unpleasantries, you're right. They did happen, and still do to a lesser extent. But it's much more common in Islamic countries.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: June 23, 2014, 10:37:26 am »

Such statements require a source, otherwise it's little more than sectarian discrimination.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: June 23, 2014, 10:48:30 am »

Short answer: It's complicated. You've got Muslims who want Sharia, you've got Muslims who don't want Sharia, you've got Muslims who want secular law based off of what they consider Sharia to be but not Sharia itself, you've got Muslims who want Sharia for Muslims only, etc.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 10:51:46 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 458 459 [460] 461 462 ... 1393