Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748958 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6810 on: June 19, 2014, 10:15:51 am »

Accepting Tunisia's Europeanness would be accepting Imperialism.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6811 on: June 19, 2014, 10:17:20 am »

Syria and Iraq (and Iran) border on Turkey...

But what's so bad about letting more African and Asian countries join? Turkey, Israel, Russia, Tunisia, Iran... All these countries have issues that would make joining the EU impossible right now, but I see no insurmountable obstacles.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6812 on: June 19, 2014, 10:22:05 am »

Russia is intent on making it's own version of the EU rather than joining the EU. Though Russia joining the EU would also mean that it would have to play nice with the former soviet sattelites.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6813 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:28 am »

Syria and Iraq (and Iran) border on Turkey...

But what's so bad about letting more African and Asian countries join? Turkey, Israel, Russia, Tunisia, Iran... All these countries have issues that would make joining the EU impossible right now, but I see no insurmountable obstacles.
Well, there is no consensus what "Europe" really is or should be. Even geographical definitions are problematic (Ukraine, Georgia and Armenia come to mind). Cultural definitions are even harder, some want Europe to be a (culturally) "Christian Club" with obvious exceptions like Bosnia or Albania. If you take certain democratic standards as cultural criteria, no African or Asian country fits in currently.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6814 on: June 19, 2014, 10:45:59 am »

The EU already extends well into Africa and South America, doesn't it? The only rule seems to be that at least part of your country is physically, arguably, located in Europe.

But does accepting Tunisia's (hypothetical) desire to join the EU? Is it Imperialism to create an organization of voluntary members that people *want* to join?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6815 on: June 19, 2014, 10:47:22 am »

If you take certain democratic standards as cultural criteria, no African or Asian country fits in currently.
Those are the obstacles that I meant - but I'm an optimist: I believe progress will be made there, too.

Also,
Care to explain?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6816 on: June 19, 2014, 10:53:03 am »

The EU already extends well into Africa and South America, doesn't it? The only rule seems to be that at least part of your country is physically, arguably, located in Europe.
Even that is not really a hard rule, as I said there is no real consensus about the rules except for certain economic and political criteria.
The parts of the EU that are located on other continents are not countries of their own, but former colonies turned parts of European countries. Some have exceptions too, Greenland for example is part of Denmark, but not part of the EU.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6817 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:36 am »

Nope. Cyprus is entirely Asia.

Europe is what those countries who're in Europe determine it to be.

On a side note, I just realized that Europe, for some reason, has A Council of Europe, an European Council and a Council of the European Union. All three separate entities.

Spoiler: This is Europe (click to show/hide)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6818 on: June 19, 2014, 11:00:36 am »

Spoiler: This is Europe (click to show/hide)
Hey, that looks surprisingly straightforward by European standards.  ;)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6819 on: June 19, 2014, 12:00:47 pm »

Now add the unbelievably mess that the Commonwealth is and you're almost back at feudal era level confusion.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6820 on: June 19, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »

I'm very much in favor of letting Tunisia join, to recreate the Imperium Romanum pave the way for a true world federation. We might need to rename, though - how about "Old World Union"?
It's Mare Nostrum, not Imperium Romanum :V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6821 on: June 19, 2014, 03:02:01 pm »

I think you guys are too optimistic too think that EU is a basis of the future planetary government or one of the few "mega-countries"...

EU is based on what I call Post-Christianity agnostic liberal ideology.  Can't see any non-minor country with different ideas joining EU.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6822 on: June 19, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »

I guess it depends. If we let Turkey in, then we open the doors for everybody else.

If we don't, then we're probably going to move towards an European superstate.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6823 on: June 19, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »

So basically, liberal values? Yeah, pretty much. I don't think values are that important though, minor nations will be drawn by the economic clout, major nations will be to frightened to loose their national sovereignty anyway. Of course, we can agree or disagree about what is a major/minor nation. I'd say Ukraine would be a minor one for example.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6824 on: June 19, 2014, 03:54:15 pm »

By minor, I mean ones that have few millions population. Even Belarus is not minor enough to be integrated without moving from Soviet values to EU ones

And nope, liberal values aren't enough. IMO, Even if North African nations will much more liberal and secular they will be not compatible with expanded EU. To be more precise: you can make them join but it will trigger disintegration processes

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 453 454 [455] 456 457 ... 1393