Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748964 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6795 on: June 18, 2014, 05:17:50 pm »

No, and no.
I'm sure you have an Irish accent.
Owlbread, if he says he doesn't then he doesn't. I don't know why this is difficult to accept.

TBF I would say that based on hearing myself speak that I do not have an accent. However, others tell me that I sound like some kind of deranged version of Tom Jones, and listening to playback confirm this. My wife though, who is a first language welsh speaker (unlike me who uses it as a second language), genuinely has no accent when speaking English, sounding almost like a BBC newsreader. Go figure.
... Isn't the Welsh accent pretty much an English accent, though? o-o? In how it sounds?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: June 18, 2014, 05:19:04 pm »

No, and no.
I'm sure you have an Irish accent.
Owlbread, if he says he doesn't then he doesn't. I don't know why this is difficult to accept.

TBF I would say that based on hearing myself speak that I do not have an accent. However, others tell me that I sound like some kind of deranged version of Tom Jones, and listening to playback confirm this. My wife though, who is a first language welsh speaker (unlike me who uses it as a second language), genuinely has no accent when speaking English, sounding almost like a BBC newsreader. Go figure.
... Isn't the Welsh accent pretty much an English accent, though? o-o? In how it sounds?

Very much not.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6797 on: June 18, 2014, 10:42:21 pm »

No it is very different, as different as Australian. You hear it in its purest form among first-language speakers of Welsh.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:47:06 pm by Owlbread »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: June 18, 2014, 10:50:39 pm »

... Seriously?

Aavak is an ESL Welsh-man and he sounds "Generic British Dude" to me. :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: June 18, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »

... Seriously?

Aavak is an ESL Welsh-man and he sounds "Generic British Dude" to me. :v

Though he sounds pretty damned Welsh his accent is not very strong, I must be thinking of older people.

This isn't an ESL Welsh accent but it's how my Welsh family members from Swansea sound:

Fairly NSFW

This is Rhod Gilbert's accent while doing standup:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qvScUgHcA8Y
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:21:24 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6800 on: June 19, 2014, 09:27:01 am »

guys two questions

when are we going to allow tunisia into the eu

and why is the 2014 global peace index so very made of fuck (it came out recently)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6801 on: June 19, 2014, 09:34:20 am »

guys two questions

and why is the 2014 global peace index so very made of fuck (it came out recently)

Never because Tunisia is in Africa, not Europe. Also, since when has Tunisia expressed desire to join the EU?

As for the global peace index, um, haven't looked at that. Edit: Okay, I looked and I have no idea what you're getting at by 'so very made of fuck'.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:37:09 am by smjjames »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6802 on: June 19, 2014, 09:37:00 am »

guys two questions

Never because Tunisia is in Africa, not Europe. Also, since when has Tunisia expressed desire to join the EU?

As for the global peace index, um, haven't looked at that.

tunisia is more european than turkey and turkey made a legit attempt at joining

it's in an association agreement and three fourths of its imports/exports go to the eu so why not?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6803 on: June 19, 2014, 09:41:37 am »

Define how Tunisia more European than Turkey....

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6804 on: June 19, 2014, 09:44:30 am »

Well, Spain and the Turks have had much contact according to my history books. Most of it would appear to be "Kill 'em all!" on both sides, though :P

I assume that's died down.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6805 on: June 19, 2014, 09:44:49 am »

Because they never filed the paperwork. They never asked to be in the Union.

You have to apply before you can be accepted.

Though we're moving on with partnerships with Tunisia.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6806 on: June 19, 2014, 09:51:34 am »

I'm very much in favor of letting Tunisia join, to recreate the Imperium Romanum pave the way for a true world federation. We might need to rename, though - how about "Old World Union"?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6807 on: June 19, 2014, 09:53:46 am »

I'm very much in favor of letting Tunisia join, to recreate the Imperium Romanum pave the way for a true world federation. We might need to rename, though - how about "Old World Union"?

You'd have to start letting in the rest of Africa and Asia. Then the New World countries get jealous and make a new 'New World Union' and start a new world order. (see what I did there).

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6808 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:15 am »

RE: Turkey's Europeanishnessness - unlike Tunisia, they are, geographically, partially in Europe. It's not a BIG part, but a part nonetheless.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6809 on: June 19, 2014, 10:10:42 am »

In general the EU has not really decided what it wants to be, or what definition of "Europe" it should use. There are several conflicting geographical definitions, also conflicting cultural definitions. Whether Turkey should become part of the EU is already controversial enough, Tunisia doesn't fit any convential definition of Europe really. There have been some French-led attempts for a closer cooperation of the mediterranean countries, since the North African countries have some historical ties with them, but I doubt that is enough to make anyone seriously consider extending the EU into Africa.
North Africa has, maybe even worse than Turkey, the disadvantage that it would bring us borders with one of the most instable regions in the world. As it is the Spanish exclaves in North Africa are problematic enough, if we want to keep something resembling a closed border.
Pages: 1 ... 452 453 [454] 455 456 ... 1393