Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1748943 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6780 on: June 17, 2014, 05:13:22 pm »

No, and no.

I'm sure you have an Irish accent.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6781 on: June 17, 2014, 05:26:54 pm »

Owlbread, you're trying too hard :P

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: June 17, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »

No, and no.
Owlbread, if he says he doesn't then he doesn't. I don't know why this is difficult to accept.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: June 17, 2014, 05:31:37 pm »

Can you just....drop it, okay?

Why is it not enough that I say I'm not Irish? Why do you need confirmation other than that? I am what I believe I am. I have support for why I believe this, but that's not important. What is important is that I do believe it. Why not just respect that?

Ninja'd: What Graknorke said.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6784 on: June 17, 2014, 05:32:31 pm »

Owlbread, if he says he doesn't then he doesn't. I don't know why this is difficult to accept.

My sneaking suspicion is that he has a Northern Irish accent which he does not consider Irish.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: June 17, 2014, 07:38:49 pm »

My sneaking suspicion is that he has a Northern Irish accent which he does not consider Irish.
Have we discovered a quantum Irishman?

"A quantum Irishman tunnels into a bar..."
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6786 on: June 17, 2014, 11:12:21 pm »

meanwhile the nationalist of bay12 cannot understand that there exist nationalities he doesn't approve of

somebody tell him that north and south korea are things that happened

or west and east germany

and that all of them are different from their geographically different counterparts for reasons

* LordSlowpoke grabs popcorn box filled with deep fried snickers bars

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: June 18, 2014, 03:20:38 am »

meanwhile the nationalist of bay12 cannot understand that there exist nationalities he doesn't approve of

somebody tell him that north and south korea are things that happened

or west and east germany

and that all of them are different from their geographically different counterparts for reasons

* LordSlowpoke grabs popcorn box filled with deep fried snickers bars

Political situation can influence cultures too. For example, the Ruthenians of Kievan Rus splintered into Russians, Ukrainians and Belarusians after its collapse: Muscovy gobbled the entire North-East of Kievan Rus and later on became Russia, the Grand Duchy of Lithuania established itself on the territories of modern Belarus and Northern Ukraine, the Polish Crown snatched the territories of modern Ukraine just before the signing of the Union of Lublin. The political division of former Ruthenian lands has heavily influenced the cultural development of people living there, resulting in the appearance of above-mentioned three Eastern Slavic ethnicities.

The differences between people living in Ulster and people residing in the rest of Ireland may be negligible, but I wouldn't dismiss them. They will probably be evident hundreds of years in the future, if the division continues.

P.S. I think Owlbread is not a nationalist. He is an internationalist.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 03:31:54 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6788 on: June 18, 2014, 03:33:33 am »

i were aiming for modern examples, what with the concept of nationalities being pretty darn recent

and the fact i still saw no counter to the theory saying ukraine was invented by austrians to counteract russian influence in their area

i mean i know it's bull? but it makes the most sense? that's the sort of shit we're working with re:origin stories

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6790 on: June 18, 2014, 04:00:55 am »

i were aiming for modern examples, what with the concept of nationalities being pretty darn recent
Humans required oxygen to breathe long before it was discovered :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6791 on: June 18, 2014, 04:54:17 am »

According to RIA Novosti, the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation is planning to issue an international arrest warrant for Arsen Avakov, Ukrainian Minister of Internal Affairs and Igor Kolomoisky, the governor of Dnepropetrovsk Region, on charges of war crimes, abduction and "impeding the lawful professional activities of a journalist".

I'm eager to see how the Russian government is going to negotiate with the Interpol. Interpol has backed the Belarusian government a few times, though, so anything is possible.

Eh, our ex head of intelligence, Eerik-Niiles Kross, has been on the most wanted list of Interpol twice on the demand or orders of Russia. Russia even admitted it and said that he had some way hijacked a freighter in the ocean aka piracy. Russia having foreign officials put on Interpol's list is nothing noteworthy. That's however where international relations come into play as Kross has never been arrested anywhere and given to Russia. As long as he stays away from any country that works with Russia, he is okay. The notice is taken down now.

http://news.err.ee/v/politics/c201a0d3-4fc5-4ac5-8bef-5e0e08acecde

I forgot to say that it very comfortably happened just before local elections in the capital. Kross was running against a pro-Russian party.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: June 18, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »

No, and no.

TBF I would say that based on hearing myself speak that I do not have an accent. However, others tell me that I sound like some kind of deranged version of Tom Jones, and listening to playback confirm this. My wife though, who is a first language welsh speaker (unlike me who uses it as a second language), genuinely has no accent when speaking English, sounding almost like a BBC newsreader. Go figure.
This is a blank sig.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #6793 on: June 18, 2014, 02:09:28 pm »

Huh. To me i sound accent less, but on the rare occasion I travel down South, they can almost always tell I'm from the North, and often even place it down to the city. (And no I'm not Scouse :P ) The Welsh can also tell, though not nearly to the same degree of accuracy.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: June 18, 2014, 05:02:23 pm »

Wikipedia:
This region is heavily influenced by the historic presence of Ulster Scots and covers areas such as northern and eastern County Antrim, the Ards Peninsula in County Down, The Laggan district in County Donegal and northeastern County Londonderry. These districts are strongly Ulster Scots-influenced, and Scots pronunciation of words is often heard. People from here are often mistaken by outsiders as Scottish. This area includes the Glens of Antrim, where the last native Irish speakers of a dialect native to what is now Northern Ireland were to be found. It has been stated that, whilst in the written form, Gaelic of this area continued to use standardised Irish forms, the spoken dialect continued to the Scottish variant, and was in effect no different from the Gaelic of Argyll, or Galloway (both in Scotland).
In the 1830s, Ordnance Survey memoirs came to the following conclusion about the dialect of the inhabitants of Carnmoney, east Antrim:
Their accent is peculiarly, and among old people disagreeably, strong and broad.

The speech in southern and western County Donegal, southern County Tyrone, southern County Londonderry, northern County Fermanagh, north County Armagh, southwestern County Antrim and most of County Down form a geographical band across the province from east to west. On the whole, these areas have much more in common with the Derry accent in the west than inner-city Belfast except in the east. This accent is often claimed as being the "standard" Northern Irish dialect as it is the most widely used.

People in Northern Ireland have a wide range of accents, very few of which would be associated with an Irish accent. Certainly, closer to the border there are some resembling the Irish accent, or which are in fact said accent. I however do not possess said accent.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 451 452 [453] 454 455 ... 1393