Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744016 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6735 on: June 17, 2014, 10:47:01 am »

>The Commonwealth Fund
>UK is at the first place

._.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:43 am »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: June 17, 2014, 10:48:53 am »

France and the UK don't make any sense. How can France have so many issues but number one lives, while the UK is number one in most qualities but has the second least healthy lives?
I think it refers to healthy styles of living, like not smoking and stuff, while all the others refer to the quality of healthcare.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: June 17, 2014, 10:50:31 am »

France and the UK don't make any sense. How can France have so many issues but number one lives, while the UK is number one in most qualities but has the second least healthy lives?
I think it refers to healthy styles of living, like not smoking and stuff, while all the others refer to the quality of healthcare.
Yeah, this. The French seem to be a lot less likely to be overweight (just my completely anecdotal impression). Germany has a pretty high alcohol consumption per capita. Stuff like that.

Edit: After looking into the report:
HEALTHY LIVES
The goal of a well-functioning health care system is to ensure that people lead long, healthy, and productive
lives. To measure this dimension, Exhibit 8 includes three outcome indicators, including mortality amenable
to health care—that is, deaths that could have been prevented with timely and effective care; infant mortality;
and healthy life expectancy.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 10:53:49 am by XXSockXX »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: June 17, 2014, 10:53:48 am »

Should the UK be on last place, then? If it's healthcare is so good, then why are citizens so unhealthy?
._.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: June 17, 2014, 10:55:06 am »

Should the UK be on last place, then? If it's healthcare is so good, then why are citizens so unhealthy?
Healthcare has nothing to do with lifestyle. People eat too much and don't exercise enough and drink too much too often. But they can go to a hospital and get fixed pretty competently when something inevitably gives.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: June 17, 2014, 10:59:51 am »

Healthcare has nothing to do with lifestyle. People eat too much and don't exercise enough and drink too much too often. But they can go to a hospital and get fixed pretty competently when something inevitably gives.
Are you trying to say that in UK citizens have lifestyles almost as bad as in US?. And that the entirety of Europe live better just because??
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: June 17, 2014, 11:01:15 am »

Are you trying to say that in UK citizens have lifestyles almost as bad as in US?. And that the entirety of Europe live better just because??

Yes.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: June 17, 2014, 11:07:01 am »

There's an anecdote: The UK had to do some statistics on fat people, and the results were pretty horrible. One city - I don't know, Glasgow probably - was even fatter than most of the US! So, to provide at least some comfort, they found a US city whose inhabitants were even fatter. But even in that city people didn't deep-fry frozen pizzas!

Germany has a pretty high alcohol consumption per capita.
Yup, will probably be contributing to that later today. It is quite possible that I will be drunk every evening, Sunday to Sunday.

I'm a student, though. Normal Germans are less alcoholic.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: June 17, 2014, 11:10:07 am »

There's an anecdote: The UK had to do some statistics on fat people, and the results were pretty horrible. One city - I don't know, Glasgow probably - was even fatter than most of the US! So, to provide at least some comfort, they found a US city whose inhabitants were even fatter. But even in that city people didn't deep-fry frozen pizzas!

Deep fried pizza is great. It is no longer pizza, it is something else. Deep fried mars bars are also very good, as is their lesser known cousin - the deep fried snickers bar. But yeah, deep fried/battered haggis, deep fried battered black pudding, sausage, anything. Battering something and deep frying it is a kind of art.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: June 17, 2014, 11:11:53 am »

Germany has a pretty high alcohol consumption per capita.
Yup, will probably be contributing to that later today. It is quite possible that I will be drunk every evening, Sunday to Sunday.
Hehe, same here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: June 17, 2014, 11:13:26 am »

Yes.

It's not just lifestyles - a lot of it is genetics. You can have a guy who can eat six McDonalds burgers or a large pizza by himself (I knew such guy) and not be particularly active, and stay thin (or at least average on the thin side), then you have people like Ann Wilson (from Heart), who can literally STARVE THEMSELVES only to bounce back.

It makes sense too - fat storage and energy processing in general involves a ton of different enzymes, coenzymes, cofactors, inhibitors, hormones and the like, and since nearly all of those are proteins - encoded by DNA - it's far from unlikely that there is a significant genetic component.

Perhaps - this is just idle hypothesizing, I have no real data to work with - it's related to historical food availability and/or climate - French cuisine, for example, traditionally uses a TON of butter, so fat scarcity wouldn't be an issue to them, and with the milder climate it's not that important, meanwhile Scots, for example, would need more fat deposits to act as thermoisolation; now while it used to work in diets one, two, three hundred years ago, civilization moves much faster than biology, so the population cannot adjust to the changed conditions so soon.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: June 17, 2014, 11:18:28 am »

Deep fried pizza is great. It is no longer pizza, it is something else. Deep fried mars bars are also very good, as is their lesser known cousin - the deep fried snickers bar. But yeah, deep fried/battered haggis, deep fried battered black pudding, sausage, anything. Battering something and deep frying it is a kind of art.

Hello there, fellow crude stereotype!
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: June 17, 2014, 11:21:18 am »

There's actually a pair of bagpipes in this room, just across from me. My kilt is hanging up in the wardrobe though.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: June 17, 2014, 11:22:32 am »

There's actually a pair of bagpipes in this room, just across from me. My kilt is hanging up in the wardrobe though.

There is a sheep less than 10 metres from me.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1393