Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744117 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6720 on: June 17, 2014, 08:26:31 am »

Urgh. I hate people who talk about leaving Russia. It's so mainstream among the current generation D:

And if you think that Russia is the worst there is... well just look at what Europe did to Libya.

In other news heavy criticism is being leveled at Tony Blair at the moment for his actions in Iraq and also for the fact that he is now blaming the collapse on the West for not intervening in Syria. The Daily Mail is now calling him "Crusader Blair" or something.

I'm fine with this, Blair deserves everything he gets and more, the problem is that he seems to have become the fall guy for the rest of the Labour Party and most of the British political establishment that supported him in Iraq. I don't hear enough criticism being leveled at William Hague for his support of the Iraq war. I even heard old John Prescott laying all the blame on Blair recently, despite the fact that he was Deputy Prime Minister. There's Scottish Labour MPs coming up to Scotland telling us we're "better together" and "stronger militarily" with a "seat at the top table" and "punching above our weight" and all that utter, utter bollocks, grinning for the cameras despite the fact that they voted for the Iraq War. Whenever they hear the argument "independence would keep us out of more illegal wars like Iraq", they then have the cheek to tell us it's "not relevant" to the independence debate. The Iraq War was what politicised me and convinced me more than anything that independence was the answer.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:37:35 am by Owlbread »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #6721 on: June 17, 2014, 08:46:31 am »

You know what, I won't hold the Iraq war against politicians who have since admitted it was a mistake, admitted that they were wrong to vote as such. This isn't something we should discourage in politics. Tony Blair's stubborn refusal to admit he led a country into a destructive and illegal war that has caused even less stability over 10 years later is the kind of attitude we encourage if we don't allow politicians to occasionally admit that they were wrong.

I don't get how people can trust or want to invest any power in someone who won't admit fallibility, I don't get how they can not want to hear an acknowledgement of past mistakes from someone. If you don't allow for such things, they'll just march you off a cliff because they refuse to admit they started down a path with a cliff on it.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: June 17, 2014, 08:48:30 am »

The problem with guys like Hague is that they still believe they did the right thing. They refuse to admit voting in favour of it was a mistake.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: June 17, 2014, 08:49:58 am »

Roads are pretty expensive and inconvenient to build already, and they take a lot of wear and tear, so it seems kinda impractical to build them out of expensive technology. Plus, you then need to add wiring infrastructure to your roads. That might not be too much of a problem in richer parts of Europe, but here that would be a cable thief's dream.
IIRC the wires are built into the "tiles"

Don't think they'd do very well in Belgium.
"BREAKING NEWS: Road-display system hack results in massive traffic jams as drivers are distracted by dicks on the road!"
Actually it'd be. Breaking news: Traffic control power fails as traffic jam obstructs solar panels.

I mean, traffic jams are a constant thing in Belgium, so...
Didn't even think of that :v
But yeah, traffic jams are constant.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6724 on: June 17, 2014, 09:10:33 am »

Nope, of course nope, I am not a suicidal.
But I gonna leave this country as soon as possible for them to stop getting my tax money from me.
Urgh. I hate people who talk about leaving Russia. It's so mainstream among the current generation D:

And if you think that Russia is the worst there is... well just look at what Europe did to Libya.
I hear that, and my first thought is "Well, maybe Russia should stop sucking so much that so many people want to leave?"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: June 17, 2014, 10:24:40 am »

Roads are pretty expensive and inconvenient to build already, and they take a lot of wear and tear, so it seems kinda impractical to build them out of expensive technology. Plus, you then need to add wiring infrastructure to your roads. That might not be too much of a problem in richer parts of Europe, but here that would be a cable thief's dream.

Didn't think about that, but their wiring trenches on the side would be a cable thief's wet dream indeed.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6726 on: June 17, 2014, 10:25:43 am »

Or you know, you can steal the entire road.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: June 17, 2014, 10:27:31 am »

It's Belgium, not Italy!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: June 17, 2014, 10:39:19 am »

Just going to drop this quality ranking here.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: June 17, 2014, 10:40:09 am »

USA! USA!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:25 am »

USA has all the biggest numbers! That means they're winning, right?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: June 17, 2014, 10:42:17 am »

France and the UK don't make any sense. How can France have so many issues but number one lives, while the UK is number one in most qualities but has the second least healthy lives?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6732 on: June 17, 2014, 10:44:07 am »

USA! USA!

Your avatar was the US flag. Very appropriate.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: June 17, 2014, 10:44:16 am »

France and the UK don't make any sense. How can France have so many issues but number one lives, while the UK is number one in most qualities but has the second least healthy lives?
I don't know, maybe that's got to do with other factors besides health care, like pollution, nutrition, other risk factors etc.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6734 on: June 17, 2014, 10:46:02 am »

I don't know, maybe that's got to do with other factors besides health care, like pollution, nutrition, other risk factors etc.
Eating the most baguettes per capita doesn't cure cancer!

....Does it?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 447 448 [449] 450 451 ... 1393