Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744318 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6675 on: June 16, 2014, 03:09:37 am »

If you have the cash to rent a LPG terminal, and buy LPG, then you certainly have the cash to pay for Russian gas (especially using the prepaid system).

Russia is not entirely unreasonable in this. Ukraine is no longer their ally, so they no longer receive preferential prices. That will crash the Ukrainian economy, but they don't care.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6676 on: June 16, 2014, 03:13:06 am »

...but that lpg is to let the lithuanians stop buying russian gas (which is transported via belarus, so the current events won't hurt them) and therefore reduce the economic leverage russia has on lithuania

it's not because the gas stopped being supplied per se

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6677 on: June 16, 2014, 03:20:23 am »

And it's shut. You know what we should have done months ago? The Lithuanians have a mobile LPG terminal coming from South Korea. We should have pooled some cash to rent it from them and dispatch it to Odessa. (By we, I mean the EU, not Bay12)
Sheb is arguing that we should rent the Lithuanian LPG terminal to provide Ukraine with LPG.

I'm arguing that if we're going through that expense, we might as well just have given Ukraine the money to buy the Russian gas, which would be cheaper (and would also guarantee European supply).

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6678 on: June 16, 2014, 03:38:31 am »

What about buying gas collectively? One contract, and one price, for Ukraine and every country west of it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6679 on: June 16, 2014, 03:39:28 am »

I don't think that further rising the gas price is the thing Ukraine needs for the moment.

Even with the increase in prices, Ukraine still gets a discount compared to European nations.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6680 on: June 16, 2014, 04:30:22 am »

Source? IIRC, it's the other way around.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6681 on: June 16, 2014, 05:47:19 am »

Hard to say, Ukraine was paying 230-250$ per bcf after the 2010 Kharkiv deal. No idea what the current price would be.

Also, Naftogaz's Crimean subisdiary, which was nationalized by Crimea apparently owed its parent company around $1 billion dollar too.

Finally, it seems Ukraine reached a deal with Slovakia to import some gas that way. I don't know if the pipes are ready to pump yet.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6682 on: June 16, 2014, 07:13:51 am »

Doesn't most of Europes gas flow through Ukraine? Wouldn't that mean the supply to the rest of Europe is now limited? I'm sure there are other pipelines, but you can only increase the flow so much.

Unless they only shut off the outlets that Ukraine uses and not the pipeline going through Ukraine. Not sure how the system works over there.

Even if Russia hadn't invaded Crimea, the shutdown may still have happened anyway because they are legitimate bills that Ukraine needed to pay.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:17:57 am by smjjames »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6683 on: June 16, 2014, 07:16:43 am »

Yes and no, most of Europe is okay, but some states like Romania depends almost entirely on gas piped through Ukraine. And no, there is no way for Russia to prevent Ukraine from using the gas intended for other countries. That happened a few year sago (Winter of 2008 I think?)

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6684 on: June 16, 2014, 09:34:25 am »

Looked through Russian stock market to see how will Investors will react on Gas News from Ukraine. Gazprom has -1%, nothing that goes beyond daily fluctuations.

-4.3% for Sberbank looks strange. Wandering what happened
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6685 on: June 16, 2014, 10:01:17 am »

Looked through Russian stock market to see how will Investors will react on Gas News from Ukraine. Gazprom has -1%, nothing that goes beyond daily fluctuations.

-4.3% for Sberbank looks strange. Wandering what happened

I'm not normally a grammar nazi, but it's wondering, not wandering, just saying.

As for the stock market, what's happening in Iraq will also influence it since prices have gone up here in the US (as a result of Iraq, not Russia shutting off NG)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6686 on: June 16, 2014, 10:20:46 am »

It could be that for Gazprom the negative (No more gas to Ukraine, possible problem with Europe) and the positive (Iraq may blew up, driving the price of our product up) compensate each others.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6687 on: June 16, 2014, 01:03:02 pm »

The problem isn't as big as the gas crisis in 2009, as the North Stream is now operational, so Europe remains supplied.

Hard to say, Ukraine was paying 230-250$ per bcf after the 2010 Kharkiv deal. No idea what the current price would be.
IIRC, it hasn't peaked above 400$ per 1000 cubic meter. That is about 11$/ MMbtu. (It's a bit iffy, as the cubic meter to MMbtu conversion rate depends on the type of gas).  Current European prices are 10.2 USD/MMbtu, but they were 12.6 half a year ago.

However, I have good evidence that the Ukrainian price is actually 380$ per cubic meter, or 320$ per cubic. (Not sure.)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6688 on: June 16, 2014, 01:06:53 pm »

Well, North Stream won't do much good for the Bulgarian. :P

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6689 on: June 16, 2014, 01:14:59 pm »

The European net is integrated. If needed, we can redistribute pressure.
Pages: 1 ... 444 445 [446] 447 448 ... 1393