Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744835 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6585 on: June 13, 2014, 06:24:54 am »

And in Britain the grid will be offering companies money to cut use.

My guess is that this is as much about safety margins as actual supply. The grid's margin compared to peak demand has been shrinking nearly constantly since privatisation. The only projections I saw last decade that didn't involve blackouts this decade involved building nuclear plants at an advanced speed, vast off-shore wind (on-shore simply couldn't meet demands) or importing substantially from France and the rest of Europe. All but the first required around $10bn investment in the grid to adjust to the different type of load expected.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6586 on: June 13, 2014, 06:27:59 am »

The had an article in the Economist recently about "virtual utilities", companies that make deal with large electricity users, and free up peak demand by selectively turning off some systems (Thing cutting the AC for half and hour that kind of stuff). Quite a smart idea actually. The cheapest source of energy is the one you don't use.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6587 on: June 13, 2014, 06:30:41 am »

That's why I'm a fan of consumers buying their electricity directly at the stock market: Together with intelligent meters, it could help make demand meet supply. Think a fridge turning itself off for half an hour during midday or the evening, or an aquarium heater and pump, etc etc.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6588 on: June 13, 2014, 06:32:50 am »

Not really, if the power fails, so does internet.
As tragic as a lack of internet is, there's plenty to do that doesn't need internet.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6589 on: June 13, 2014, 06:38:10 am »

That's why I'm a fan of consumers buying their electricity directly at the stock market: Together with intelligent meters, it could help make demand meet supply. Think a fridge turning itself off for half an hour during midday or the evening, or an aquarium heater and pump, etc etc.
Cue somebody monopolizing all the electricity and turning the prices way up.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6590 on: June 13, 2014, 06:42:09 am »

Electricity in Belgium is practically a monopoly, so ...

The chance for abuse is significant though. Just bypass the intelligent meter, and you have unlimited free power. As there are no more utilities controlling clients, this could be problematic. You probably have to set up a nationalized utility to avoid that problem.

And in Britain the grid will be offering companies money to cut use.
We're doing that already, IIRC. I think we even went a step further, that we're paying companies to utilize their on site generators to provide power to the grid.

Hell, they're seriously considering shipping in giant Powergenerator ships (capacity 200 MW) to make ends meet.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6591 on: June 13, 2014, 07:30:39 am »

Electricity everywhere is basically a monopoly. It wasn't until two years ago or so that the market here was opened up for competition. This means that people can buy it from other companies or directly from the stock market and actually a lot more people are taking the stock market option, then you would imagine, because it is automated.

The problem of course is that only the old company has a good enough infrastructure and network of cables so you are still paying them a small fee to use their electrical network to get the electricity to your house.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6592 on: June 13, 2014, 08:35:44 am »

What do you mean by "buying electricity from the stock market"? Like, people actually buy stocks into electricity producers in exchange for power?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6593 on: June 13, 2014, 08:49:32 am »

I assume they're buying them from the wholesale market, ak, directly from the producers.

IIRC, In Belgium the grid is a nationalized Monopoly, and most of the power generation is as well. Most of the capacity is GDF Suez/Electrabel, and then you have a few independent producers, mostly renewables, though some simply sell Nuclear power than Electrabel is forced to sell them (In order to avoid anti-monopoly regulation).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 08:51:22 am by 10ebbor10 »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6595 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:41 am »

Polish town erects statue of urinating Lenin.

Not a town - an independent artist as a part of an art festival. And the local idiots religious right idiots took offence, claiming it 'promotes communism' *facepalm*.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #6596 on: June 13, 2014, 09:56:20 am »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6597 on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:00 am »

Ukraine, what the heck are you doing?

Haven't seen any other reports yet, but if true, what the heck is Ukraine doing? It could just be a case of how abiguous (not sure if that's the word I'm trying to mean) and porous the border is. Like someone said earlier, there are towns which the border goes right through.

Or maybe they were just forced to go around through the border.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6598 on: June 13, 2014, 11:38:26 am »

There was something in the newspaper about 3 Russian tanks invading Ukraine earlier.

Possible relation to that video that got posted here?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6599 on: June 13, 2014, 11:43:21 am »

From the article, it sounds like they were forced to go around whatever tactical situation they were in and through the border. Unlike the three tanks, they didn't stick around in Russian territory.
Pages: 1 ... 438 439 [440] 441 442 ... 1393