Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744830 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6570 on: June 12, 2014, 05:28:36 pm »

They could still be Russian tanks since according to wiki, the T-64s largely stayed in Russia, Ukraine, and other former soviet sattelites.
Most likely that those are T-64s "borrowed" by Russia in Crimea. Theory that those are defected\stolen from Ukrainian army is unlikely because first that tanks were spotted in a town close to a border first

On other hand Russia has a lot of retired T-64s in storage. In Ukraine T-64 (modernized versions are adequate for modern warfare) is our main tank while T-72s are retired and in storage.

Looks like the guys car really did get bombed. Cue the finger pointing by both sides. If the Ukraine government really did resort to using car bombs in an attempted assassination, that is low, really, really low.....
Any method is acceptable to kill enemies. See nothing bad in using unorthodox ways.

But I think that is either rivaling faction or Ukrainian partisans, tired of inactivity from the government, started to act. After all getting explosives in Donbass is a quite easy task.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: June 12, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »

He wasn't even IN the car, or had used it for two days. Any halfway competent assassin would have tried to make sure that the target was actually in the car.

Besides, resorting to terrorism? The Ukraine government would lose support FAST if they ever got found out, plus they don't seem that desparate yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: June 12, 2014, 05:51:26 pm »

He wasn't even IN the car, or had used it for two days. Any halfway competent assassin would have tried to make sure that the target was actually in the car.

Besides, resorting to terrorism? The Ukraine government would lose support FAST if they ever got found out, plus they don't seem that desparate yet.
How is that terrorism? That is a bomb delivered to the enemy. No more, no less.
With that kind of logic firing a missile in those tanks is a terrorism, too
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: June 12, 2014, 06:33:39 pm »

One man's terrorist is another's soldier.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: June 12, 2014, 07:35:07 pm »

Every man's soldier is my terrorist.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: June 13, 2014, 01:12:19 am »

sol·dier /ˈsōljər/
noun: soldier; plural noun: soldiers
1. a person who serves in an army.
ar·my /ˈärmē/
noun: army; plural noun: armies
1. an organized military force equipped for fighting on land.
ter·ror·ist /ˈterərist/
noun: terrorist; plural noun: terrorists
1. a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims.
ter·ror·ism /ˈterəˌrizəm/
noun: terrorism
1. the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.
Words do actually have meanings y'all. This ain't the freedom fighter/terrorist debate, soldier is a fairly objective term, not subject to whether or not you are a good person, and this less pronene; and you can certainly be both a soldier and a terrorist, it depends on the aims and methods of the army.

Car bombing? Hmm. Simple enough: what was the significance of the target? Political, military, economic? Civilian or not?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: June 13, 2014, 03:52:07 am »

But if we accept Clausewitz's saying that war is the continuation of politics by other means, all war are acts of terrorism. :p Hence all soldiers that fought in a war are terrorists, and armies are terrorists organizations. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: June 13, 2014, 04:22:34 am »

Not necessarily. Terrorism, as the name implies, intends to incite terror. Terrorists acts intend to send a message 'you're not safe, your government cannot protect you'. Hence, they primarily target various high-profile civilian targets, because it's supposed to be directed to everyone - 'we can kill anyone'.

On the other hand, if someone attacks military targets, this is guerrilla warfare, and if someone attacks specific people it's an assassination, and when it's industrial plants it's sabotage. Of course, this is all assuming asymmetry.

The reason why the bombing is called a terrorist act is because it 'feels' like things that have been labelled as terrorist attacks, like the Irish and Middle Eastern car bombs (although the former were often assassinations).
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: June 13, 2014, 04:28:20 am »

I agree with you, I was just jesting using misko's definitions.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: June 13, 2014, 04:29:32 am »

I like the fearmongering for political goals one because plenty of politicians and their shills can be labeled as terrorists that way.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: June 13, 2014, 04:29:43 am »

I agree with you, I was just jesting using misko's definitions.

My post was actually kinda useless to other people, I just had to write that down somewhere.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: June 13, 2014, 06:04:24 am »

On another note, it seems like Belgium might be experiencing consistent black-out's this winter, and the next.

We're already importing 2 GW of power (from France alone) during certain parts of the day, and it's Summer. Maximal import capacity (from all countries) is 3.5 GW.

And the situation is getting worse. Two 1 GW nuclear reactors are offline, and might never restart again. Another 1GW is being decommissioned in February. Meanwhile, low electricity prices have resulted in the closure of about 600 MW of gas power this year, and at least another 500 MW gas plant next year.

Link
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:09:21 am by 10ebbor10 »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: June 13, 2014, 06:09:07 am »

Yeah, Well, maybe the black-outs will serve as an anti-Fukushima, galvanising support for nuclear. As for the gas plants, I think there are plans to pay the utilities to simply mothball them so they can be started agian in winter.

Also, the Walloon parliament voted to recognize its elections, majority vs. opposition. Huzzay for democracy!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: June 13, 2014, 06:15:45 am »

Looks like it was a good idea to buy a laptop instead of a desktop. :V

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: June 13, 2014, 06:17:30 am »

Not really, if the power fails, so does internet.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1393