Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745503 times)

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6405 on: June 09, 2014, 11:04:04 am »

In March 2011, YouGov had the SNP% of the vote for the Scottish Parliament Election in May at 29% and Labour at 45% in the Constituency Vote. By May, YouGov were polling 42% SNP and 35% Labour. In the actual vote the SNP won with 45% of the Constituency vote and Labour at 31%. Strange things happen in Scottish politics.

Take a look at this:

Opinion Polling in the Scottish parliament Election, 2011

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 11:09:58 am by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6406 on: June 09, 2014, 11:07:23 am »

inb4 angry Irish Republicans yelling about Eire not being any part of the British Isles.
It clearly is in the archipelago known as the British Isles.
Oh yeah? Why is it the British Isles and not the Irish Isles? Eire is one-half of the large landmasses there too! Or fuck, why not the Independent And Rational Republican Isles Of Whole Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Cornwall, Jersey, Guernsey, And Man, huh?! Well?!
devilsadvocatedevilsadvocatedevilsadvocatedevilsadvocatedevilsadvocatedevilsadvocatedevilsadvocatedevilsadvocate
And if it had been called the Irish Isles (Despite Ireland not having comparitavely much influence there) you would ask why weren't they called the British Isles.

As Ahlawahlia said "perhaps it is that the dice had to fall one way or another, and fell as they did by chance." Add to that a bit of Tennant "It was a throw of the dice, and common sense isn't foolish in suspecting the dice were loaded." Granted, these are about religion. Still applicable, however.

*Sigh.* I'd just written that out before I noticed the transparent bit. Well, I'm posting it anyway, see if I don't!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6407 on: June 09, 2014, 11:16:54 am »

Still, things aren't looking good for Scottish independence. I guess it'll end up being decided by who actually goes to the poll. Those polls that include "wouldn't vote" only show a few percents of people not voting, which is utter bullshit. Even for such an historic vote, you won't get 97% participation rate. This ain't Crimea.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6408 on: June 09, 2014, 11:25:15 am »

Personally I would prefer all publicly funded schools are secular, with religion being relegated to a classroom teaching what the various religions believe, with no moral judgement or "this is Truth" attached.  Hence why I'll probably be voting Green come the 12th, while I'm not a fan of their anti-nuclear or pro-organics stance, most of their other platform I'm a fan of, including abolishing the seperate Catholic school-board. It's redundant to have two of everything, and offensive to elevate the Catholics above everyone else in the country.

At least these British schools aren't all one denomination.  Still not a fan of publicly funding religion but at least it's not horribly offensively one-religion-only, and non-believers have the secular schools for them like we do here.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #6409 on: June 09, 2014, 11:32:37 am »

My R.E. class was just that. Religious education.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6410 on: June 09, 2014, 11:45:15 am »

In my R.E. classes I learned about Christianity 99% of the time, mostly just bible stories and stories of Jesus. The 1% of the time was spent on Buddhism and Sikhism. We never looked at Islam at all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6411 on: June 09, 2014, 11:50:30 am »

In practice, I've never heard of a religious education program that didn't seek to indoctrinate those in it. Religion's only place in schools is as part of history courses.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6412 on: June 09, 2014, 11:51:47 am »

I don't think we have religion education programs here at all. At least not that I know of.
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6413 on: June 09, 2014, 11:57:47 am »

Religious education during the last three years in my Christian public school was like that, although we were "finished" with Christianity by then.

First three years was learning bible stuff like it's a history lesson. I'm still not entirely sure why I would need to know how long king David's reign was, or what agricultural tools the Israelites used...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6414 on: June 09, 2014, 11:59:18 am »

In practice, I've never heard of a religious education program that didn't seek to indoctrinate those in it. Religion's only place in schools is as part of history courses.
Its an optional course at my old high school. Seems to work fine that way. "World Religions" with each religion taught getting a seperate unit. I think one a month? I remember it included Sikh, Jain,  Hindu, Buddhism,  and the Abrahamic religions at least. And from a secular viewpoint.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:01:47 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: June 09, 2014, 12:01:05 pm »

Swedish Religion class teaches about world religions, and is basically considered a sister-class of history.

So now you have heard of it.
Love, scriver~

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6416 on: June 09, 2014, 12:04:44 pm »

It's usually interesting to have religious education assessed by the groups who are supposedly being taught about and how recognisable the material is to them.

Basically, religion is complicated and teaching about it in a non-insulting, accurate and comprehensive manner is hard, even assuming good faith on the part of all involved. Bring in hostile parents, teachers, governors, etc, and it becomes impossible.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: June 09, 2014, 12:05:06 pm »

In Belgium, religion classes in primary school used to be propaganda (I've heard it changed), but in high school it was a mix of history of the world's religions, philosophy and whatever the teacher wanted us to learn. In my last three years, I learned the theory of changing a head gasket, some points of finer christian theology and the history of atheism.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: June 09, 2014, 12:10:18 pm »

Swedish Religion class teaches about world religions, and is basically considered a sister-class of history.

So now you have heard of it.
Surely you must have somebody trying to unravel secularism and make young people religious zealots, even in Sweden.

(Anyway, I maintain my view on them being unnecessary. Sweden is so far the exception rather than the rule when it comes to religion.)
It's usually interesting to have religious education assessed by the groups who are supposedly being taught about and how recognisable the material is to them.

Basically, religion is complicated and teaching about it in a non-insulting, accurate and comprehensive manner is hard, even assuming good faith on the part of all involved. Bring in hostile parents, teachers, governors, etc, and it becomes impossible.
"Insulting" is somewhat the matter of issue. Religious groups tend to respond pretty typically when their faith is non-sugarcoated by somebody else. It's a lot like people who believe their political opponents should be banned and imprisoned for "spreading lies" about them. All in all, this is why religious education tends to end up as a pulpit for the majority group of whatever society it is being taught in, as actual neutral presentation just doesn't give the "correct" choice enough bias.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6419 on: June 09, 2014, 12:14:24 pm »

Still, things aren't looking good for Scottish independence. I guess it'll end up being decided by who actually goes to the poll. Those polls that include "wouldn't vote" only show a few percents of people not voting, which is utter bullshit. Even for such an historic vote, you won't get 97% participation rate. This ain't Crimea.
You made me lol here
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 1393