Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745848 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #6285 on: June 05, 2014, 07:51:21 am »

Why divide? Just conquer! :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: June 05, 2014, 08:15:51 am »

So for the first time since we got in Schengen, the Belgian police decided to reinstall border controls to stop protesters from protesting the G7. Fuck them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: June 05, 2014, 08:18:21 am »

People still protest at those events?

Why?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: June 05, 2014, 08:19:30 am »

well how about we fuck the protesters instead unless you go ahead and answer

People still protest at those events?

Why?

the police didn't just tell a giant, almost continent-wide treaty to go fuck itself for shits and giggles did it

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: June 05, 2014, 08:22:10 am »

So for the first time since we got in Schengen, the Belgian police decided to reinstall border controls to stop protesters from protesting the G7. Fuck them.
Is that even legal?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: June 05, 2014, 08:24:19 am »

Yeah, you have a clause allowing restrictions in some cases.

And I don't know what they're protesting exactly but freedom to protest is one hell of an important freedom.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: June 05, 2014, 08:27:38 am »

The Netherlands temporarily restored border controls for the Anti Nuclear proliferation meeting that happened there.

As an interesting note, the fact that the Police in Belgium was experienced with crowd control was one of the major reasons to place the effective central of the EU here. (The other main reason is that Belgium is a tiny country, so none of the others has to fear for their egos being harmed.)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: June 05, 2014, 08:45:51 am »

Well, the G8 (now G7) summits always attract protesters, some of them looking just for an opportunity to riot.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: June 05, 2014, 11:22:47 am »

I can think of at least one good reason to protest the G7.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: June 05, 2014, 12:47:06 pm »

you can give your thanks to our american overlords for this one

they dug too deep, too greedily when thinking of new bullshit to wave in front of the soviets instead of their actual dick because that might have blown up the everything for everyone

except australia

did australia ever give a fuck about the prospect of a nuclear war actually

did china or sovietstan have any plans of fucking them over

this is the question of now

oh and yeah they dug too deep too greedily and unleashed the military-industrial balrog truman and people before him warned of

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: June 05, 2014, 12:51:54 pm »

Nobody nukes Australia. Nuking Australia means irradiating its wildlife which basically translates to a Pacific Rim sequel. Perfect MAD.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: June 05, 2014, 12:53:41 pm »

so you're saying that instead of nuking their enemy, a country that is under nuclear assault should blow the shit out of an australia since that'd cause more damage to the world than using their arsenal in any other fashion

* LordSlowpoke takes notes

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6297 on: June 05, 2014, 02:58:43 pm »

Well, the G8 (now G7) summits always attract protesters, some of them looking just for an opportunity to riot.
You mean the media organises riots for juicy profit.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: June 05, 2014, 06:43:15 pm »

I was watching this video from Ukrainian television but I cannot understand everything they are saying. Could anybody please tell me what they talk about with Akhmed Zakayev at first, then what Kadyrov goes on to say? Just the gist of it. They seem to speak amongst themselves with Zakayev present at first (I heard them talking about Ruslan Aushev), then Zakayev starts speaking at 39 minutes or so.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:49:43 pm by Owlbread »

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: June 05, 2014, 07:19:12 pm »

Interesting polling from tonight's by-election, be worth seeing it this holds true.

For reference, this was a Tory MP resigning in disgrace. You would expect that to hurt them, especially among non-traditional Tory voters. Instead we have seen recent gains by the Conservatives from Labour voters in direct opposition to UKIP. British voters are classic tactical voters, more often voting for a majority party they see as keeping out the less-favoured majority parties than voting their honest preferences, so Labour voters voting to keep out UKIP could be a horrific sign for UKIP ever getting a seat.

At the same time it could be argued that UKIP didn't give much of a damn about this, given they just parachuted all their preferred candidates into cushy, no-work (for UKIP anyway) MEP seats and don't much care about their relevant on the Parliamentary stage, so don't care about it at all.

EDIT: Fixed.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:24:06 pm by palsch »
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 1393