Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744359 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5415 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:58 pm »

I hope that when this shit in Crimea will end we'll see independent Crimea (or independent southern part of it). Country were only Crimean Tatars* will have voting rights

*knowing the language can be a nice qualifier
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: May 18, 2014, 12:33:47 pm »

Are we using Aljazeera as a credible news source?

Yes, it is pretty credible apart from in regard to Qatari politics as Sheb says. I trust Al Jazeera more than the BBC.

I hope that when this shit in Crimea will end we'll see independent Crimea (or independent southern part of it). Country were only Crimean Tatars* will have voting rights

*knowing the language can be a nice qualifier

But that would require Russians to actually learn the native language of the area they've brutally conquered settled in. That's like asking rain to fall upwards, and it defeats the entire point of all the pro-Russian unrest.

But yes, if Russians in Crimea could get behind the Crimean Tatar identity in a civic way (a bit like how European New Zealanders get behind Maori identity these days) and try learning the language and create an independent state that way it would be great. Unfortunately Russian ethnic nationalism is so virulent and strong nowadays trying to change things in that direction would be like a struggle with the elements.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:41:40 pm by Owlbread »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: May 18, 2014, 12:45:18 pm »

What, all kiwis learn Maori nowadays?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: May 18, 2014, 12:45:34 pm »

But yes, if Russians in Crimea could get behind the Crimean Tatar identity in a civic way (a bit like how European New Zealanders get behind Maori identity these days) and try learning the language and create an independent state that way it would be great.

Actually, I think the optimal decision would be another federation subject on Crimean territory. If they want it so badly. Thought I'm pretty sure their land problems and self-controlling are solvable without that.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: May 18, 2014, 12:53:32 pm »

(a bit like how European New Zealanders get behind Maori identity these days)

yeah okay because the asians smear a big steaming turd all over the maori

why did you feel the need to point out heritage

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5420 on: May 18, 2014, 12:57:38 pm »

But that would require Russians to actually learn the native language of the area they've brutally conquered settled in. That's like asking rain to fall upwards, and it defeats the entire point of all the pro-Russian unrest.
But yes, if Russians in Crimea could get behind the Crimean Tatar identity in a civic way (a bit like how European New Zealanders get behind Maori identity these days) and try learning the language and create an independent state that way it would be great. Unfortunately Russian ethnic nationalism is so virulent and strong nowadays trying to change things in that direction would be like a struggle with the elements.
Giving tatars exclusive rights is undemocratic and is alongside that one lovely lady claiming the maori should be the only people to control immigration, rather hypocritical. The maori ran genocides, before the russian empire there was the ottoman empire and so on. On a practical level it's hard to see how it would work out any better than splitting british india into india and pakistan. Good luck also trying to take the crimea from russia in the first place.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: May 18, 2014, 01:05:56 pm »

What, all kiwis learn Maori nowadays?

It seems to be getting more popular, but I'm not a Kiwi myself so I can't really comment.

What?

Because this is an ethnic conflict and heritage is incredibly important in Crimea.

Giving tatars exclusive rights is undemocratic and is alongside that one lovely lady claiming the maori should be the only people to control immigration, rather hypocritical. The maori ran genocides, before the russian empire there was the ottoman empire and so on. On a practical level it's hard to see how it would work out any better than splitting british india into india and pakistan. Good luck also trying to take the crimea from russia in the first place.

You completely misunderstood my position. Hopefully my lengthy comment will clear things up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:09:16 pm by Owlbread »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: May 18, 2014, 01:30:56 pm »

What?

i advise reading a little about the ethnic makeup of new zealand before dumping every new zealander who isn't maori into "european"

Because this is an ethnic conflict and heritage is incredibly important in Crimea.

except that crimean natives are given the short stick because there are no oligarchs to stand behind them in a conflict whose driving motor is ukrainian and russian oligarchs.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5423 on: May 18, 2014, 01:30:56 pm »

Because this is an ethnic conflict and heritage is incredibly important in everything under the sun.
Fix'd. More Owlbread-like now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: May 18, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »

Giving tatars exclusive rights is undemocratic
I am kinda confused by that statement
By that definition no country in the world is democratic because adults, unlike children, have exclusive voting rights in every country
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: May 18, 2014, 02:00:36 pm »

By that definition no country in the world is democratic because adults, unlike children, have exclusive voting rights in every country
You said that voting rights should be reserved for only ethnic tatars. Such an action would surely be supported by all Russian-speaking people living in Crimea *sarcasm*
._.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: May 18, 2014, 02:01:55 pm »

No country is a 100% inclusive democracy. The line is always drawn somewhere. The age restriction is more reasonable than one of ethnicity for many reasons.
This is a blank sig.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: May 18, 2014, 02:12:21 pm »

Inclusive or not democracy is a democracy.

Estonia exists with the law like that, with no full citizenship for individuals that don't know Estonian and it works nicely.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: May 18, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »

A democracy that only includes people with enough money is (if my terminology is right) a plutocracy, not a democracy.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: May 18, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »

i advise reading a little about the ethnic makeup of new zealand before dumping every new zealander who isn't maori into "european"

Oh right... I see what you're trying to get at. Well, that was unexpected. Right, if I can clarify, if you look at the sentence "a bit like how European New Zealanders get behind Maori identity these days" - I was trying to highlight how even the "Imperialists" i.e. the white Europeans were starting to embrace Maori heritage. I was meaning it in the sense "Even European New Zealanders get behind Maori identity". I wasn't trying to exclude the countless other ethnic groups in New Zealand by referring to New Zealanders as solely Maori/European, I was trying to show a parallel with Crimea.

Surely you would be aware of that too, so I'm not sure why you were even making that point in the first place.

except that crimean natives are given the short stick because there are no oligarchs to stand behind them in a conflict whose driving motor is ukrainian and russian oligarchs.

...Again, I don't doubt this. Don't you remember that link I posted yesterday or the day before about how this entire conflict is about gangsters? The thing is, gangsters are exploiting ethnic/nationalist conflict that already exists in Ukraine and I'm trying to show a way that this could be resolved. Admittedly, a way that accords with my own political ideology.

You said that voting rights should be reserved for only ethnic tatars.

He didn't, he said that voting rights should be reserved for people who speak Tatar. Considering some people in the USA and the UK and most likely in Russia would feel offended if people who couldn't speak English (or Russian, respectively) could vote then that isn't as offensive a proposition as it first seems.

That said, I don't agree with it because I think voting rights should be given to everyone living in a political unit/state, including prisoners.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:21:52 pm by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 1393