Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1744865 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5325 on: May 15, 2014, 08:41:29 am »

That sounds...rather bad.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5326 on: May 15, 2014, 08:49:22 am »

Belgian cyber security is pretty much nonexistent.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5327 on: May 15, 2014, 09:59:34 am »

Actually, they were supposed to set up a cybersecurity team, but couldn't agree on exactly how to spend the money so nothing was done. And now, with elections coming, nothing will be done until we have a new government, which judging by our recent history may take a few years.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5328 on: May 15, 2014, 11:13:04 am »

meanwhile the Belgium government site turns into an imageboard due to hackers
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5329 on: May 15, 2014, 11:15:06 am »

EU court backs 'right to be forgotten'

More specifically, Google and other search engines are no obligated to delete links relating to those people upon those people's request.

Edit: I don't think I actually support this. I mean, the info is still out there, it just makes it harder to find.

This very thread, 3 pages ago.

Anyway, Belgium got hacked, again.

Within a week? Geeze. Who was it this time? Maybe it'll turn out to be some random kid in Belgium.
:)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 11:21:04 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5330 on: May 15, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »

Well, we had a small protests march against the TTIP in Brussels today. Half of the marchers (around 250 people) got arrested, including 3 Green MPs. The police claim the protester were violent, which everyone else there deny. Of note, the chief of operation was Police Chief Van Dersmissen, known in activist circles as "the alchemist" for his ability to turn a peaceful march violent. And for his golden cap, which everyone dream of stealing one day.

The good thing is that thanks to those prominent arrests, we're finally getting some press attention to the TTIP. Also, we now have very cool elections posters:

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5331 on: May 15, 2014, 12:49:59 pm »

Shit is sure going down with a fuckton of elections coming up in, what, 2 weeks?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5332 on: May 15, 2014, 12:52:33 pm »

10 days.

And then a probably political lockdown. Probably even worse than before, as now both federal and regional governments are being elected at once.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5333 on: May 15, 2014, 12:56:42 pm »

Yup.
One guy has already been declared basically a hero for being 17 (e.g. not obliged to vote yet) and speaking out against De Wever, urging him to make it not happen on some debate show on TV.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5334 on: May 15, 2014, 12:58:23 pm »

Anyway, the first results from EU's "right to be forgotten are in"

Somewhat predictably, these are, amongst others :

An ex-politician seeking re-election has asked to have links to an article about his behaviour in office removed.

A man convicted of possessing child abuse images has requested links to pages about his conviction to be wiped.

And a doctor wants negative reviews from patients removed from the results.

Yup.
One guy has already been declared basically a hero for being 17 (e.g. not obliged to vote yet) and speaking out against De Wever, urging him to make it not happen on some debate show on TV.
That probably is a very local thing though, as I have heard nothing about this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5335 on: May 15, 2014, 01:12:47 pm »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5336 on: May 15, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »

Seems like a very local thingy really. I mean, I get said newspaper daily, and I don't think the article was included in the print edition.

Besides, saying something on television is enough to get these kind of reactions.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5337 on: May 15, 2014, 01:23:41 pm »

Anyway, the first results from EU's "right to be forgotten are in"

Somewhat predictably, these are, amongst others :

An ex-politician seeking re-election has asked to have links to an article about his behaviour in office removed.

A man convicted of possessing child abuse images has requested links to pages about his conviction to be wiped.

And a doctor wants negative reviews from patients removed from the results.

In other words, broad verdict is too broad. Can't EU legislation overrule this, though?

EDIT: Although, I suppose the actual courts in respective countries haven't yet decided whether or not the ruling is applicable to the requesters' cases.

EDIT2:
Guardian provides more details
The ECJ ruling includes a public interest test, which says that search engines do not have to honour removal requests if keeping the links about a person "is justified by the preponderant interest of the general public in having, on account of inclusion in the list of results, access to the information in question".

In the case of the ex-politician seeking office, or a convicted paedophile, that could mean Google and others will have a reason to reject calls to expunge their index.
I guess not all hope is lost.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:40:17 pm by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5338 on: May 15, 2014, 01:35:30 pm »

Seems like a very local thingy really. I mean, I get said newspaper daily, and I don't think the article was included in the print edition.

Besides, saying something on television is enough to get these kind of reactions.
Yeah, I guess it is.
W/e.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5339 on: May 15, 2014, 05:09:35 pm »

I didn't heard of it, but then I might as well live in another country.

I just watched the third and last European debates between the various candidates. Tsiripas, from the far-left group was in this time, but maybe because he was speaking in greek (and being dubbed) didn't sound that great. Shultz was shifty and looked like a pervy grandfather. Junker gave us his best impression of a carboard cut-out, and wasn't helped for choosing to speak french this time around (I watched the debate in English so he was dubbed as well). Verhofstadt was okay, byt Ska Keller really improved. She went from sounding like a teenage activist to actually giving one of the strongest performance.

She also mentioned the people arrested protesting the TTIP earlier, which was really cool.

Now, the post-European elections mayhem is really going to be fun. The Lisbon Treaty says that the EP has to vote for Commissions president, on a suggestion from the Council. Now, basically everybody within the EU institutions agree that the Council isn't going to choose one of the five candidate, because they don't want to create a precedent of the Parliament actually choosing the Commission's president. On the other hand, every parliamentary group is dead set in favor of electing the candidate. It's going to be a contest of will between those two institutions.

Pages: 1 ... 354 355 [356] 357 358 ... 1393