Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745203 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5250 on: May 12, 2014, 08:53:18 am »

As far as the observers go, do you guys think it would be possible to have third party (that is, not 'western') observers that both the West and Russia trust? Like maybe India or one of the African countries?
African maybe, India no because of BRICS. When the world is largely split into "West vs East" in some form or another, there aren't really that many countries that aren't trying to lean towards one side.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5251 on: May 12, 2014, 09:03:57 am »

BRICS are a grouping of country by type of economy, not by political affiliation. If anything, India is kinda US-leaning, ever since the US decided they needed them to keep China in check.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5252 on: May 12, 2014, 09:04:25 am »

Clearly, the strategy to conquer the world is to send enough emigrants to another country to become the majority in said country, claim right to self-determination through riots and armed occupations of administrative buildings and hold a referendum.
China :D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5253 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:48 am »

As far as the observers go, do you guys think it would be possible to have third party (that is, not 'western') observers that both the West and Russia trust? Like maybe India or one of the African countries?
African maybe, India no because of BRICS. When the world is largely split into "West vs East" in some form or another, there aren't really that many countries that aren't trying to lean towards one side.

What about Switzerland? I know they are supposed to be true neutral, but there isn't really any true neutral as far as West vs East goes in today's world. It's not as polarized as during the Cold War era, but generally you're either West leaning or not.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5254 on: May 12, 2014, 09:22:56 am »

It could work. But in this case, the very fact of acknowledging the referendum is siding with Russia.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5255 on: May 12, 2014, 09:59:17 am »

True I guess. As I said earlier, Russia blew the credibility of any referendums that they are involved with, out of the water with the Crimea referendum.

Even if there werent reports of thousands of yes vote ballots found beforehand, the credibility of the referendum is still called into doubt simply because Russia has their hand in it and are known for vote rigging.

I wonder if in the next Russian election, most of the rest of the world calls the results into doubt. Then again, it would play into the hands of Putin and anti-westerns. Not trying to flame, just being incredibly hypothetical and a great deal of things will have changed by then, including new US president.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5256 on: May 12, 2014, 01:16:10 pm »

The Ukraine thread, it lives. again.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5257 on: May 12, 2014, 01:18:54 pm »

Like the propaganda from both sides, it is unstoppable.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5258 on: May 12, 2014, 01:19:08 pm »

What? If there's a new thread on it, be prepared to be awed as the Toad puts the Wolf out of its misery.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5260 on: May 12, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »

Anyway, unrelated news. The Belgian government managed to get hacked again. They suspect Russia this time, but have no proof.

Probably only made this claim through elimination of suspects. It can't have been the British (they hacked us a bit before that), can't have been the Americans (they hacked us even earlier), might be the Chinese, but from what I see about the quality of our cybersecurity, it appears we outsourced it to them.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5261 on: May 12, 2014, 03:43:19 pm »

I reckon the good news is that there's a Belgian government.

Although it can't be that severe if they took the leisure to get hacked that many times.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5262 on: May 12, 2014, 03:56:05 pm »

European Parliament campaigning is going on strong here. Also, one of the nationalist parties fields an organization hilariously redundantly named a 'Voters' Voting Committee'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5263 on: May 12, 2014, 04:13:25 pm »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5264 on: May 13, 2014, 12:23:01 am »

I reckon the good news is that there's a Belgian government.

Although it can't be that severe if they took the leisure to get hacked that many times.
Not for long anyway. The elections are in a month or something, and seem like they might be headed towards another blockade.
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 [351] 352 353 ... 1393