Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1745350 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #5220 on: May 11, 2014, 05:59:02 pm »

Also the UN being completely fucking useless at everything.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: May 11, 2014, 07:10:35 pm »

Elections, referendums, and voting in general is just for show, right?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: May 11, 2014, 08:38:07 pm »

While I am not specifically pro EU / pro Russian or whatever,
I do wonder why the UN has not sent an army yet to drive those 'seperatists' away who captured Red Cross employees for 'espionage'. That is such a clear break of the Geneva convention, and all rules of conflict, that every day the UN does not send peacekeeping forces, they are losing credibility.

This referendum cannot be credible at all, held by war criminals like that.
Russia veto

The 'separatists' aren't signatories to the Geneva convention anyway. Also, I haven't heard anything about Red Cross people being held for 'espionage' just some observers who were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Elections, referendums, and voting in general is just for show, right?

When Russia, known for vote rigging, is right there across the border and obviously manipulated the Crimea one, perhaps. Maybe Russia manpiulated this one, maybe not, but their manipulation of the Crimea one blew the credibility of any other referendums that they are associated with out of the water.

Without western observers (even if they don't recognize it, shouldn't they at least be sure that it's credible and there isn't any vote rigging?) or a trusted third party observer which Russia also trusts (Um, India? Or is that still considered 'western' by Russia?), these have about as much credibility and standing as an unscientific poll done online.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:42:25 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5223 on: May 11, 2014, 09:32:06 pm »

Considering that thousands and thousands of yes ballots were found before the vote even took place, I'm not exactly jumping to recognize this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: May 11, 2014, 11:35:08 pm »

Spoiler: tssss (click to show/hide)
They were ordered to get 89%, 89% they made
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: May 11, 2014, 11:36:31 pm »

drop the ukraine

wubwubwubwub

seriously though everyone here knows how discussions regarding this issue end just don't start it seriously

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #5226 on: May 11, 2014, 11:40:21 pm »

Spoiler: tssss (click to show/hide)
They were ordered to get 89%, 89% they made
huh

So where's the new thread?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 11:47:58 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: May 12, 2014, 12:18:12 am »

drop the ukraine

wubwubwubwub

seriously though everyone here knows how discussions regarding this issue end just don't start it seriously

Don't talk about [topic], talk about [nothing]
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5228 on: May 12, 2014, 01:55:58 am »

As Stalin used to say "It doesn't matter who does the voting, what matter is who does the counting".

BTW, I just heard 97 of Moscow residents wants to join Belgium. We should send troop there.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: May 12, 2014, 02:48:07 am »

"All that's needed for evil to win is for good people to do nothing" or something.
Actually I was supposed to quote something about people not saying anything about evil, but I lost that.
Er, anyway, with supposedly only half the population being ethnically russian then with a 74% turnout one might expect uh.... a 50% result?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: May 12, 2014, 03:35:16 am »

At least it's not 95%. Not a believable number, but at least they're trying.

German media reported that the separatists stated that the referendum was not intended as a way to break away from Ukraine, but rather to demonstrate the legitimacy of the separatists' position. Maybe 'separatist' has become a misnomer...

Separatist in this context has always been a misnomer. They are not "Separatists", the Crimean troops and the Eastern troops are Russian nationalists and Russian irredentists with a neo-Soviet twist, the latter being more noticeable in the industrialised East.

If you disagree with this assessment (glorious Russian antifascism etc),  note that Sinn Fein, SDLP, the IRA and Irish Republicans in general are described as Nationalists in the context of Northern Ireland. There is no difference between the troops and activists operating in the East and the IRA - they just haven't started bombing yet.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:46:03 am by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: May 12, 2014, 04:01:32 am »

Er, anyway, with supposedly only half the population being ethnically russian then with a 74% turnout one might expect uh.... a 50% result?
Please, do not simplify the situation like that...
Not all Ethnic Russians want to Russia, not all Ethnic Ukrainians are against joining USSR 2.0

We have something like*:
a) Pro-Europeans (Ones who want liberalism and stuff)
b) Ukrainian nationalists (Of various brands)
c) Russian nationalists (Again, various brands. Not all of them are Pro-Putin. Some are members of the Right Sector** )
d) Pro-Soviets (Evil Gayrope, Belarus is the example of good economy, we want communism back and stuff)
e) Regional patriots (that ranges from commoners who associate themselves with a region not nationality or country to organized crime leaders who don't want to lose their power)

*still very simplified
**Don't ask for links or argue. I know such members of the Right Sector in person you may either believe me or not
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: May 12, 2014, 04:57:39 am »

You are doing it again. Nothing stops the Fenrir, for his rise is foretold. Maybe you shouldn't raise it again?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: May 12, 2014, 05:04:59 am »

I think we're capable of talking about current events without being inflammatory. Do you think the vote was legitimate, Ranger?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: May 12, 2014, 05:08:47 am »

I think we're capable of talking about current events without being inflammatory.

Each post-Soviet thread began with those words.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 [349] 350 351 ... 1393