Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746414 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4845 on: April 21, 2014, 10:41:47 am »

It's hard to be a secular society when your national flag is based on the amalgamation of three Christian crosses. Granted, the Scottish flag is somewhat different given that its origins aren't necessarily Christian but it doesn't sit right for me.

On the other hand, the US was founded on the separation of church and state and yet it is the UK that is the more secular of the two.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4846 on: April 21, 2014, 10:43:27 am »

Luckily flags don't tend to feature heavily in the average Brit's daily life.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4847 on: April 21, 2014, 10:45:58 am »

They feature in our daily life rather a lot up here. I see Scottish flags virtually every day, and not just because there's one across the bed from me hanging up when I go to sleep. If I go for a drive down to Perth I will drive past many Scottish flags and see even more on the cars driving past. I'll drive past a handful of Union Flags too. You'll see Scottish flags on lorries, vans, shopfronts, flying in the wind outside houses/public buildings/hotels, everywhere.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4848 on: April 21, 2014, 10:50:09 am »

You've never been to Northern Ireland, then. Add to what Owlbread said that there is a flag on nearly every lamp post, the union colours painted on many curb stones, the Ulster flag flying, and even a few Scottish flags too.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4849 on: April 21, 2014, 10:51:25 am »

It's hard to be a secular society when your national flag is based on the amalgamation of three Christian crosses. At times I wonder if we all need some new flags, apart from the Welsh of course.

Shame on them for stealing Hungarys flag, lol. Although the red on Hungarys flag is darker, but still....

Also, if Scotland becomes independent, will the UK still have that famous highlanders unit (forget the actual name, but its a well known regiment)?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:57:03 am by smjjames »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4850 on: April 21, 2014, 10:51:59 am »

They feature in our daily life rather a lot up here. I see Scottish flags virtually every day, and not just because there's one across the bed from me hanging up when I go to sleep. If I go for a drive down to Perth I will drive past many Scottish flags and see even more on the cars driving past. I'll drive past a handful of Union Flags too. You'll see Scottish flags on lorries, vans, shopfronts, flying in the wind outside houses/public buildings/hotels, everywhere.

I don't think I've seen a British or Welsh flag for at least six months.  I kinda like it.

You've never been to Northern Ireland, then. Add to what Owlbread said that there is a flag on nearly every lamp post, the union colours painted on many curb stones, the Ulster flag flying, and even a few Scottish flags too.

I haven't!  Ireland = County Cork as far as I'm concerned.  I will live there some day.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4851 on: April 21, 2014, 10:54:25 am »

Don't forget a cheeky tricolour here and there too, I'm sure.

I don't think I've seen a British or Welsh flag for at least six months.  I kinda like it.

It all depends on where you are in the UK I suppose. I do wish there were more English flags flying in England, personally.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4852 on: April 21, 2014, 10:57:08 am »

Don't forget a cheeky tricolour here and there too, I'm sure.

It all depends on where you are in the UK I suppose. I do wish there were more English flags flying in England, personally.

Oh yes, many tricolours, of course. I was talking about the places I see. If I were to go down one of those estates, there's a chance I might not come out the other end. Not as big a chance as it once was, but it still happens, and I prefer not to take chances.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4853 on: April 21, 2014, 10:59:50 am »

Maybe if you wore this shirt:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You'd be alright? I suppose the problem would be what to do if you tried to go home.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4854 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:52 am »

I'm fairly certain you know that would stick in my throat  :)
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4855 on: April 21, 2014, 11:06:08 am »

Also, if Scotland becomes independent, will the UK still have that famous highlanders unit (forget the actual name, but its a well known regiment)?

That remains to be seen as the UK refuses to prenegotiate the terms of independence, unless it's on their terms and on a particular issue they're interested in. But yes, there were many units at one time. The old Highland regiments such as the Black Watch and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and the Gordons and the Highland Light Infantry were all scrapped and amalgamated into the Royal Regiment of Scotland as battalions; they will be resurrected upon gaining independence to form the infantry of the Scottish Army.

At the moment it looks as though Scottish soldiers should be able to fight in the British army like the Irish and other Commonwealth troops. They'll probably have their own regiment.

I'm fairly certain you know that would stick in my throat  :)

Indeed my good sir, I'm just acting the maggot. A wee bit of banter, like.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:08:14 am by Owlbread »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4856 on: April 21, 2014, 01:00:33 pm »

On the other hand, the US was founded on the separation of church and state and yet it is the UK that is the more secular of the two.
The UK has a state church, state church schools which push that church's agenda, and 26 bishops of that church alone are unelected members of the House of Lords who try to sway the political agenda in the church's favor. The UK is many things, but it isn't secular, and it definitely isn't more secular than the US.

The strange thing is that the UK is more irreligious than the US, but it isn't more secular by far.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4857 on: April 21, 2014, 02:26:39 pm »

The UK has a state church, state church schools which push that church's agenda, and 26 bishops of that church alone are unelected members of the House of Lords who try to sway the political agenda in the church's favour. The UK is many things, but it isn't secular, and it definitely isn't more secular than the US.

The strange thing is that the UK is more irreligious than the US, but it isn't more secular by far.

Tomato, tomato.

What we don't have in the UK though is an explicit religious aspect to our politics, unlike the US. As mentioned by myself and others (Owlbread included I think) is how the low level "noise" of religious life here in the UK actually turns people generally away from devout faith into a wishy washy agnosticism which is socially accepted - people do not actually care about religion, in general. AFAIK, that is very much not the case in the US, where in some areas christianty is rammed down peoples throats (granted, there are areas where it is not, too). There are not the great dividing lines such as your bible belt, and a distinct lack of the televangelism that pervades many aspects of your media. This is despite the elements you mention. Regarding the Bishops, they have little political power (the House of Lords nowadays acts as little more than a rubber stamp for and occasionally an annoying thorn in the side of the government) compared to some of the religious nutters elected to power in the states.
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4858 on: April 21, 2014, 03:20:34 pm »

So, regarding compulsory voting - if it is not enforced, how does it actually work? ???

Well, it's an offense, punishable by a fine, but no one was ever fined for not voting. We still get abstention rate of less than 10%, so pretty cool.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4859 on: April 21, 2014, 03:44:52 pm »

So, regarding compulsory voting - if it is not enforced, how does it actually work? ???

Well, it's an offense, punishable by a fine, but no one was ever fined for not voting. We still get abstention rate of less than 10%, so pretty cool.
Actually, people were punished. But the sanctions haven't been enforced since 2003.

However, should the officials deem it nessecairy, they can and will* enforce it. Basically, the prosecutors just don't bother with tracking everyone down. It happens with a lot of thing in Belgium really, parking and traffic fines are also rarely followed upon.

*Well, might enforce it. The juridical system is a bit broken at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 03:48:18 pm by 10ebbor10 »
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 1393