Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746392 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4830 on: April 21, 2014, 10:00:31 am »

Yes, each vote effects everyone, but some votes are more important than others. Anyway, all you're doing is arguing that compulsory voting should be compulsory for every vote.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: April 21, 2014, 10:00:53 am »

A general election's effect last few years and can be undone much more easily than a referendum. Anyway, I'm in favor of compulsory voting for every elections.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: April 21, 2014, 10:02:56 am »

As for te head of state being the head of the national church, you've got Henry the eighth to blame since he established the Anglican Church.

I do agree that it's a pretty odd thing when compared to the US. Of course though, we rejected the monarchy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:08:35 am by smjjames »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: April 21, 2014, 10:03:53 am »

Yeah, seems like there is no middle ground. There is still some bad feeling and resentment regarding devolution in Wales (especially in the borders and down in Pembrokeshire) as it is felt that the low turn out and narrow margin gives it little mandate. I can also imagine the depth of animosty that would occur if we were to be denied one by the low turn out too.

So, regarding compulsory voting - if it is not enforced, how does it actually work? ???
This is a blank sig.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: April 21, 2014, 10:07:05 am »

I suppose it means society is geared towards having to vote, instead of being told "Come if you want."
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: April 21, 2014, 10:08:56 am »

As for te head of state being the head of the national church, you've got Henry the eighth to blame since he established the Anglican Church.

I do agree that it's a pretty odd thing when compared to the US.

Whereas in Scotland the head of our former national church (the Church of Scotland) is Jesus Christ himself. Or so I hear.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: April 21, 2014, 10:11:48 am »

Wouldn't that be God? Jesus, in my opinion, shouldn't really be part of the Holy Trinity. I mean, sure, there's a possibility God exists. Not a big one, but it's there. However, everything about Jesus in the bible is striving to fulfill the prophesy of Micah...and the information regarding Jesus' birth there is historically false.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: April 21, 2014, 10:12:35 am »

If Labour were actually competent we would be in for a much tougher ride in the referendum and our polls would probably be running against us much more.

Would you be interested in a wager over whether Labour wins or loses the election?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: April 21, 2014, 10:25:18 am »

Lets not bring religion into this thread guys, you know how flammable that topic is.

Just getting a head start on saying to be careful about bringing the religion topic up.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: April 21, 2014, 10:26:35 am »

Wouldn't that be God? Jesus, in my opinion, shouldn't really be part of the Holy Trinity. I mean, sure, there's a possibility God exists. Not a big one, but it's there. However, everything about Jesus in the bible is striving to fulfill the prophesy of Micah...and the information regarding Jesus' birth there is historically false.

I'm just going by the Church of Scotland stance. I'm not a Christian myself so I find it hard to comment:

Quote from: Church of Scotland Website
The Moderator is not the head of the Church: the Church of Scotland holds that Jesus Christ is 'the King and Head of the Church'

To think we shed blood over that kind of stuff in the 1600s is mind boggling. Then again at times it isn't - it did help shape us into a very different society to England. I think we owe a lot of our successes in the 19th century to our Scottish-brand of Calvinism and the whole work ethic that went with it.

Would you be interested in a wager over whether Labour wins or loses the election?

I've already got a wager on the go I'm afraid and British politics rather than Scottish politics is a bit beyond my grasp at times. I don't know the British situation as well as I do our own. Over the last few years London has become further and further away from me in my mind and whenever I see Westminster related matters on TV it seems like a foreign country.

Lets not bring religion into this thread guys, you know how flammable that topic is.

Just getting a head start on saying to be careful about bringing the religion topic up.

We're not bringing religion into it as much as we're just discussing the nature of the British system. Nobody's arguing whether Catholicism is better than Protestantism or whether or not God exists etc.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:33:24 am by Owlbread »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: April 21, 2014, 10:27:48 am »

Sure, that's fine. I don't find it particularly flammable, myself. I just find it interesting, but I know others can find in flammable. My lips are sealed  :-X
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:23 am »

Personally I don't care for religion, but I know it can be flammable, so I was just giving a heads up.

It's off topic for this thread anyway.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: April 21, 2014, 10:31:41 am »

Personally I don't care for religion, but I know it can be flammable, so I was just giving a heads up.

It's off topic for this thread anyway.

But the Head of the British State being the Head of the National Church is certainly on topic. That is a matter where politics and religion cross over and I think it is good to discuss that.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:58 am »

Isn't it Supreme Governor, or something, not Supreme Head?

It's more just an elevated position, out of respect for those who created the Church, rather than an actual head. Though Henry VIII certainly was head, and as was Edward, his son. Elizabeth changed it, though.

Edit: Elizabeth I, I should say
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:56 am »

It's hard to be a secular society when your national flag is based on the amalgamation of three Christian crosses. At times I wonder if we all need some new flags, apart from the Welsh of course.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:41:38 am by Owlbread »
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 1393