Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1746629 times)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4740 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:22 pm »

What about the Federal Republic of Central America?
Yes, but I don't remember my tribe or any other calling themselves Americans.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #4741 on: April 15, 2014, 06:47:45 pm »

That's really just some poorly-disguised USA hate/dislike/whatever. Or, if not that, just a bit of thought that's not fully fleshed-out.

"I am proud to reside on one of the two continents grouped together as the Americas."

That's just so confusing. There's nothing that really would cause anyone to be proud of it. It's like a Canadian saying they are proud to be North American. There's no real political, ethical, whatever associated with it, that all comes from the countries that are there. Or Russians saying that they are proud to be Eurasians.

The only time I'd think it would make sense is if a European said it. Having a German say that they are proud to be European carries a different meaning, due to the EU and that Europe has a very entangled history between each of the different countries. Although there's a lot of shared influence in a place like South America due to Spanish and Portuguese colonialism, I hesitate to say that makes enough sense to be proud of being an "American" in general.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4742 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:29 pm »

Oh come on people, the Americas were named after the Italian explorer, Amerigo Vespucci.

So what, were the first independent nation in the Americas as such we got first dibs, besides what else are you going to call citizens of the United States of America?

Not unless you count the Iroqois Federation, the Aztecs, the Maya (more of a collection of city states than a nation), and the Inca.

Edit: Didn't realize you were Native American, thought you meant Colonial America.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:52:58 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4743 on: April 15, 2014, 06:51:40 pm »

Or Russians saying that they are proud to be Eurasians.

Actually, that's a thing and it's been around for a long time.

Not unless you count the Iroqois Federation, the Aztecs, the Maya (more of a collection of city states than a nation), and the Inca.

The USA was the first independent white nation. That's all that matters. Why consider the natives? It's not like they had a history.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4744 on: April 15, 2014, 06:52:43 pm »

It's not just about the EU - I'm fairly sure that if I flew to St. Petersburg (or somewhere in that region, I don't know) right now, I could go buy Knit Tie a beer and have a toast - to Europe, and to being European. Europe is much more than a political construct.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4745 on: April 15, 2014, 06:54:05 pm »

It's not just about the EU - I'm fairly sure that if I flew to St. Petersburg (or somewhere in that region, I don't know) right now, I could go buy Knit Tie a beer and have a toast - to Europe, and to being European. Europe is much more than a political construct.

And so we have awakened the fires of pan-European nationalism that burn within Helgoland's heart. He is the enemy of every UKIP voter and Daily Express/Daily Mail reader in Britain.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4746 on: April 15, 2014, 06:55:04 pm »

Or Russians saying that they are proud to be Eurasians.

Actually, that's a thing and it's been around for a long time.

The USA was the first independent white nation. That's all that matters. Why consider the natives? It's not like they had a history.

Archaeologists beg to differ!

Also, 'why consider the natives', thats like saying don't consider the Highland Scottish tribes, or the Scottish Celts, or whatever groups you consider to be 'native' to scotland and have been there for millenia.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:57:51 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4747 on: April 15, 2014, 06:56:26 pm »

Archaeologists beg to differ!

Also, 'why consider the natives', thats like saying don't consider the Highland Scottish tribes.

Yes, you have not seen my sarcasm my fine fellow. The sheer airbrushing of Native American history that has taken place is one of my pet hates.

The Highlanders are ignored 90% of the time anyway though (they just get merged into the Lowlanders), and when they are depicted they seem to be able to speak perfect English with a Scottish accent.

EDIT:

Despite your edit, you still don't seem to understand that I was being sarcastic.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 07:06:23 pm by Owlbread »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4748 on: April 15, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »

Ninja'd some many freaking times, Also the Iroquois weren't a nation, A tribe of dicks yes, nation no.
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4749 on: April 15, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »

And so we have awakened the fires of pan-European nationalism that burn within Helgoland's heart. He is the enemy of every UKIP voter and Daily Express/Daily Mail reader in Britain.
Well yeah. We need to keep down the plebs, after all. /Liberal strawmanning
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4750 on: April 15, 2014, 07:00:28 pm »

Ninja'd some many freaking times, Also the Iroquois weren't a nation, A tribe of dicks yes, nation no.

They were very much a nation and remain to be to this day. What do a group of people have to do for you to consider them to be a nation? How "civilised" do they have to be?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4751 on: April 15, 2014, 07:01:36 pm »

I should note that the contributions of the Native Americans get a lot more attention these days, and they compose a good deal of the pre-history of the USA in history courses. Plus, while our political system heavily copied the UK's, it also took influence from the Iroquois Federation's. The influence of the latter is greatly important for the establishment of democracy and (eventually) women's rights.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4752 on: April 15, 2014, 07:02:28 pm »

Tribe of dicks? I'll let any forumers with Iroquois heritage handle that. Weren't you claiming to be Native American several posts back?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4753 on: April 15, 2014, 07:08:41 pm »

"Celtic/Gaelic stuff is just one side to being Irish."
You don't understand, is right. Yes, you claim Nessie and all that is a stereotype...and that it is. But it is one related to you. Your ancestors dd wear kilts. The Irish culture has nothing to do with me. And "Culture cringe."  Well, amusing alliteration it may be (Yes, I just used alliteration), but there still is a cultural representation of the Irish. Leprechauns were merely an example. Another example would be the Celtic Tiger. Hell, let's throw the entire Irish Language which is written in signs all over the Republic, but none here. There is a difference between North and South. To call both Irish is fine. To associate said word with one culture is not. Perhaps you forget the Ulster Scots, those people that you are probably descended from? They have no cultural tie to that. I can play the bagpipes. I (Used to) wear a kilt in parades. Call it whatever you want, but I prefer when I am spoken of to be called Northern Irish or British, as that is my culture. In fact, let's add in the cultural difference of religion too. And the Huguenots, who I personally am descended from. This makes a cultural blend unique to Northern Ireland and in no way connected to the Republic of Ireland. And let's face it, honestly, when someone says Irish you do not think of bagpipes and the Ulster Scots, do you?

"A very good friend of mine is from Brazil and he told me once that he was annoyed that the USA had "hijacked" the term "American" and that he was proud to be an American too."

All well and good. I'm proud to be British too. Wouldn't go as far as to say Britain "Hijacked" the term, but it's still associated with Great Britain, and few consider Northern Ireland a true art of it. Seems your Brazilian and I share a somewhat similar view.

"But according to the majority of Unionists, Northern Ireland is not a separate country or a nation, it is a province. Most Loyalists define it expressly as that and get offended if you say that it is a nation because they maintain it is a province of "Britain"."

Yes. I'm sure you have some point here, but I was talking about Canadians and Americans. Canadians are a separate country/nation, just like Northern Ireland is separate from Ireland. You know, the border?

"But it is quite possible to describe yourself as both Irish and Northern Irish in the same way that people from Northern England describe themselves as Northerners. I don't see what the problem is. In Scotland we have people who are very vocal about being from the "North-East"."

Of course it is quite possible. But you forget that Northerners are still a part of England. There is no border. Those vocal about being from the "North East" can be if they want. But they are still part of Scotland, and recognise that. There is no border.

I could call myself Irish...but there is a border. There are separate cultures that are very different, with different religions, faiths and views, as well as legal systems and education systems. "The problem is" that we are different much more drastically than any one region of Scotland is from the rest. Irish has connotations that strongly aren't Northern Irish, and therefore another term is more prudent. For example Northern Irish, or British.

So very many ninjas.
I know. It just annoys me when the other nations of the American continent get all up in arms about it. It's so typical.

The fact that enough of them get up in arms about it to annoy you disproves some parts of Th4DwArfY1's argument.
Explain?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4754 on: April 15, 2014, 07:09:59 pm »

I'll let it be said my tribe never had great relations with the Iroquois, but I must say most of my info on them is mostly from probably biased sources.
Pages: 1 ... 315 316 [317] 318 319 ... 1393