Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752383 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4575 on: April 05, 2014, 10:59:54 pm »

human beans running the European Parliament
human beans
Beans made out of humans run Europe? Oh god.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: April 06, 2014, 02:21:34 am »

human beans running the European Parliament
human beans
Beans made out of humans run Europe? Oh god.
Only the European Parliament. The Commision is run by Bruxelles sprouts.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: April 06, 2014, 07:09:22 am »

A very good article in the Japan Times summing up the Scottish independence debate from a pro-Yes perspective.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: April 06, 2014, 07:54:28 am »

I'm a good ol' Unionist myself, but it's Scotland's  right to vote on it. It's like the Union and the Confederates; if they don't want a Union, that's their business, and no one has the right to stop them.

But I do think that article is exaggerated. Also, there are plenty who want to stay in the U.K. in Scotland, from what I can see.

What I do want is a bit of distance from the E.U., though. Not separation-just a bit more distance.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: April 06, 2014, 08:28:59 am »

The UK already has all the distance it's going to get really. You can't go much further without dropping out.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: April 06, 2014, 09:02:58 am »

But I do think that article is exaggerated. Also, there are plenty who want to stay in the U.K. in Scotland, from what I can see.

Indeed there is. That's why people like myself have our work cut out for us - we have to convince the majority of Scots. Recent poll results over the last few months indicate we're doing just fine in that regard with the gap closing and undecideds turning to Yes.  The most optimistic among us predict a Yes lead by July.

But please - show me the exaggerated parts and we can discuss it.

What I do want is a bit of distance from the E.U., though. Not separation-just a bit more distance.

The problem is that the majority of English people srem to ascribe to that view and a growing number (possibly the majority) wish to leave. The English electorate dominate British politics so Scotland may be taken out of the EU whether they want it or not.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: April 06, 2014, 09:30:11 am »

I heard recently there is some natural gas in Scotland and Britain gonna have fun if Scotland secedes.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:49 am »

I heard recently there is some natural gas in Scotland and Britain gonna have fun if Scotland secedes.

We have the largest oil and gas resrves in the EU and we are second only to Norway and possibly Romania in Eirope as a whole.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: April 06, 2014, 09:45:03 am »

Mostly deep sea reserves though, and Britain has a plan for keeping them. See, there're several tiny islands of the coast that prefer to be part of the UK. If Scotland secedes, they organize a vote to have those small islands remain in the kingdom, and then they get to keep the surrounding oil and gas fields.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: April 06, 2014, 09:47:09 am »

I was under the impression it's only the mainland that counts.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: April 06, 2014, 10:10:14 am »

I was under the impression it's only the mainland that counts.

By the convention on law of the sea, islands are also baseline for 12 nautical miles of territorial water and 200 n. miles of EEZ (exclusive economic zone). But that can be changed by treaty between the two countries.

This is a nice picture illustration
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 10:14:35 am by aenri »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4586 on: April 06, 2014, 10:16:42 am »

Mostly deep sea reserves though, and Britain has a plan for keeping them. See, there're several tiny islands of the coast that prefer to be part of the UK. If Scotland secedes, they organize a vote to have those small islands remain in the kingdom, and then they get to keep the surrounding oil and gas fields.

This isn't a real plan though. It's a rumour encouraged by the Unionists to scare us into voting No. As Dutchling says the reserves will go to the mainland and according to the last census 60% of Northern Islanders (Orcadians and Shetlanders) consider themselves "only Scottish", not Scottish and British. A greater percentage than in Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

This British Crimea scenario is an old tactic though. The Brits were champions in divide and rule. That's why Northern Ireland exists.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:09:22 pm by Owlbread »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: April 06, 2014, 11:08:03 am »

I know that nm stands for nautical miles, but I can't help interpreting that as nanometres.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4588 on: April 06, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »

EU to write a stern letter to Australia for "not being a bro".
Quotation marks do not indicate quotation.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: April 06, 2014, 03:02:11 pm »

Yay DisUK-Scotland war!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 304 305 [306] 307 308 ... 1393