Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1752084 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4395 on: March 24, 2014, 05:07:38 am »

In England and Wales, the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 states that all pupils in state schools must take part in a daily act of collective worship, unless their parents request that they be excused from attending.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: March 24, 2014, 05:38:17 am »

We had subsidized pilgrimages to Jerusalem. Last time around 1300. Then we decided it's kind of a bad idea.

Not at all, it wasn't subsidized (apart from Crusades, but most people had to pay nearly everything so...).
Actually, the trip to Jerusalem was very expensive (something like 40 months of a medium income,roughly the price of 15 horses), because you had to pay in gold for most international travels (especially in Mediterranean sea).

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: March 24, 2014, 06:12:11 am »

Yeah, very surprising that schools are required to a collective worship in england.

I can't see how the pilgrimages are not such a big deal... if israel's ministry of education would have subsidized hassidic pilgrimages to Uman, i'd be furious.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: March 24, 2014, 06:14:39 am »

It is a big deal.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: March 24, 2014, 06:25:09 am »

UK is odd in this respect. On the one hand there's prayers in schools and a state sponsored church who get to send 26 Bishops to vote on new laws in the second legislative chamber.

But elsewhere in politics, open (or at least, adamant) show of faith (particularly Catholicism) is seen as political suicide.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: March 24, 2014, 06:28:14 am »

In France, show of faith (any type) is more ridiculous than suicidal.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: March 24, 2014, 06:28:51 am »

... trip to one of the major religious holy sites and one of the greatest cultural gatherings in the world would be a pretty good idea for an educational outing. History, psychology/sociology, probably architecture and related artistic studies, politics... there's a host of subjects that would benefit pretty incredibly from a trip to somewhere like Mecca. Or Jerusalem. Apparently potential issue with the former if the students aren't Muslim, but if they are, then... yeah. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to sending students on a pilgrimage, so long as it was tied into the curriculum. Probably go m'self if they let me in, it'd be quite fascinating.

Well, and I had the money to make the trip, which I don't. Didn't when I was actually in public school. Eh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: March 24, 2014, 06:44:19 am »

Actually over here it is pretty common for indigenous students to go on school trips to sites considered sacred that non-indigenous aren't allowed in, so there are a few parallels... But then again from what I was told that is more about education about their cultural roots, than trying to indoctrinate them into anything. A lot less 'This god loves you and made the world and you should worship them.' and a lot more 'This is what your ancestors used to hunt, and this is some of their art and stuff.'

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: March 24, 2014, 07:08:28 am »

Yeah... if I were going to set something like that up for a school, I'd alternate trips. One year Mecca, one year Jerusalem, one year something-Hindu, etc. Try to time it so, say, if it's a four year school (9-12 equivalent), students interested in going somewhere each year would get a full spread.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: March 24, 2014, 07:33:21 am »

daily act of collective worship
All of my WUT.

It's probably different now but when my mother was in school in London they would finish every day with a prayer. It's particularly noticable in English boarding schools where they have "chapel" etc. She was in a working class, ethnically diverse comprehensive though.

Even when I was in High School though every Christmas and Easter the school would organise an "Easter Service" or "Christmas Service" in the assembly hall. A minister would give a sermon and we'd all sing hymns. Some kids were nominated to read out selected bible passages to the whole school. This was pretty much a "done thing" like Sports Day or Prizegiving; everyone went.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:38:51 am by Owlbread »

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: March 24, 2014, 08:33:42 am »

Actually over here it is pretty common for indigenous students to go on school trips to sites considered sacred that non-indigenous aren't allowed in

Really? any examples?

... trip to one of the major religious holy sites and one of the greatest cultural gatherings in the world would be a pretty good idea for an educational outing. History, psychology/sociology, probably architecture and related artistic studies, politics... there's a host of subjects that would benefit pretty incredibly from a trip to somewhere like Mecca. Or Jerusalem. Apparently potential issue with the former if the students aren't Muslim, but if they are, then... yeah. I certainly wouldn't be adverse to sending students on a pilgrimage, so long as it was tied into the curriculum. Probably go m'self if they let me in, it'd be quite fascinating.

There's a slight difference between sending kids to mecca as an anthropological tour and sending kids to mecca to perform hajj.
If its all about learning about another culture and its history, than yeah, sure, i can see the benefits of going there, could be fascinating, but as a pilgrimage? why should non-muslims pay taxes so muslims could go to mecca as a religious duty?

Besides, since non-muslims aren't allowed to enter mecca and it will enforce discrimination. imagine how a kid in that school, who's all friends are muslims and he is christian and thus is not allowed to go on the government subsidized trip to mecca, would feel (Even without stating the reason for not letting non-muslims enter)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:44:43 am by burningpet »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: March 24, 2014, 08:36:08 am »

Is the trip government-paid though? At least over here, school trips are usually paid from the parent's pocket, with school at most providing loans.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: March 24, 2014, 08:51:12 am »

Actually over here it is pretty common for indigenous students to go on school trips to sites considered sacred that non-indigenous aren't allowed in

Really? any examples?
Max is Australian, he's probably referring to Aboriginees.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: March 24, 2014, 09:02:44 am »

Well, according to the linked article, yes.

“Oldknow’s pupils are mostly but not entirely Muslim and it was always an equal-opportunity school,” said one former member of staff. “But then all of a sudden there were Jummah [Friday] prayers, and going to Saudi Arabia on government money, and the Arabic, and blatant belittling of Christianity.”"

Obviously, its not a confirmed source.

Max is Australian, he's probably referring to Aboriginees.

Ahh, that explains it a bit. but you could ask for an entrance permit if you wanted to, right?
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296 ... 1393