Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751831 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4275 on: March 14, 2014, 12:21:10 pm »

no more than we ourselves would demand that all Kentucky Fried Chicken be made in Kentucky.
Or from chicken. That was fried. Stop calling our protectionism moronic, you know how much we hate freedom here.  :P

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: March 14, 2014, 12:26:29 pm »

How do you propose should products from their original regions be marked? "Parmesan from Parma"? "Black Forset Ham from the Black Forest"?

A compromise I could get behind would be limiting the use of the products' name in the native language of their area of origin to the originals and forbidding false and misleading advertising (as in the feta example from the article).

Ninjaedit: Cow milk vs sheep milk makes a hell of a difference. Those would be completely different products.

Actually yes, I would totally have something like a Schwartzwalder Ham with a 'Made in Schwartzwald' disclaimer on it for people who want it to be authentic. Hell, think of Cheddar - the most popular cheese there is - and tell me, how many of Cheddar cheeses are made in actual Cheddar, Somerset?

People who want quality will know what to look for, and either way the price tag will reflect the difference between the real deal and the knockoff. I am 100% fine with regulation of what the product has to BE, for example if I bought a feta and found out it's a yellow cheese some incredibly oblivious person misnamed (obviously silly and extreme case), I would be pissed off.

E:
Something isn't special just because it was made in a very specific place.
Wine drinkers will disagree.

True, but then again, it's not about the place per se, but about the climate and geography. If someone made a controlled environment exactly replicating the conditions that are currently in some random vineyard in France at the same time, you could grow a grape with exact same parameters and process it to a wine that tastes the same (within the variance between bottles from the original vineyard).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:30:27 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: March 14, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »

MSH: as I pointed out, the US already does it. You can have a board of producer trademark a locality, as in the case of Florida orange. The main difference is that different products are protected on each side of the Atlantic, because different names are generics.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: March 14, 2014, 12:40:49 pm »

Wine drinkers who go to that level of specifics are just psyching themselves out about it. It's like how Coke poured into a Pepsi can will taste like Pepsi to some people. It's fucking wine. It can vary, yes, but this idea that you must grow it in the special earth to get the special taste is definitely psychological, because there is no physical reason for it that cannot be replicated in other conditions.
MSH: as I pointed out, the US already does it. You can have a board of producer trademark a locality, as in the case of Florida orange. The main difference is that different products are protected on each side of the Atlantic, because different names are generics.
I think it's foolish in those cases as well, though mind you, Flordia oranges are in a somewhat favorable position due to there being exactly three states in the US that can reliably grow oranges. This does not, however, mean that if you obtain revolutionary greenhouse technology and start growing oranges in Maine that you can't use the common name of the food.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: March 14, 2014, 01:07:14 pm »

I believe I'm going to have to argue in favour of the EU protection thing because it's nice having a degree of international law protecting our whisky industry and making sure it stays here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: March 14, 2014, 01:10:22 pm »

Yeah, like Scotch should come from Scotland. It's just... part of what it is.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: March 14, 2014, 01:39:20 pm »

I wouldn't mind having non-Scotland Scotch. I'm also fine with enforcing it being labeled as such.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: March 14, 2014, 01:42:57 pm »

I wouldn't mind having non-Scotland Scotch. I'm also fine with enforcing it being labeled as such.

But your economy would not be adversely affected as a result of it. Our economy would. Whisky is serious, serious business here.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: March 14, 2014, 01:45:41 pm »

Protectionism is a rat's nest I shouldn't poke.

* kaijyuu escapes from the thread~
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: March 14, 2014, 02:04:31 pm »

I don't read this thread so I didn't know this was an ongoing discussion here. I made a new thread for it.

I don't want to read this thread anyway, so just repeat all your points over there please. ;)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: March 14, 2014, 02:06:22 pm »

Wine drinkers who go to that level of specifics are just psyching themselves out about it. It's like how Coke poured into a Pepsi can will taste like Pepsi to some people. It's fucking wine. It can vary, yes, but this idea that you must grow it in the special earth to get the special taste is definitely psychological, because there is no physical reason for it that cannot be replicated in other conditions.
They would argue that through the specific minerals in the soil and the specific sun exposure, the place matters a lot, physically. Of course the grapes are the most important.
Whether people can really identify that in taste, I don't know but it seems possible. I can definitely tell different kinds of red wine apart, or even brands of bottled water or brands of cigarettes, if I'm used to the taste.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: March 14, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »

I don't read this thread so I didn't know this was an ongoing discussion here. I made a new thread for it.

I don't want to read this thread anyway, so just repeat all your points over there please. ;)
... utter aside, but this is an incredibly american post, isn't it? This one is too, by using american to mean the USA, haha.

Poor europe/EU. I think I'll be rooting for you to win your cheese, now, just for the hell of it. Won't make much of a difference to me regardless, 'bout the only thing that'd be region locked (EU, anyway. Most of my fancy name stuff comes from asia or south of the border.) that I eat is parmesan, and that only rarely.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4287 on: March 14, 2014, 02:38:11 pm »

(I'll admit, it was a wee bit intentional. ;))

What really sucks about it, of course (and this is from a European perspective) is that Greece got the rights to feta, but Greek feta is shit compared to the superior Bulgarian feta.

And isn't there a different feta tradition from some northern European country that got screwed too?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: March 14, 2014, 02:40:58 pm »

Cyprus lost the right to market their feta as feta too. As usual in EU matters: fuck the Greeks.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: March 14, 2014, 02:46:26 pm »

Why was Greece ever even let into the EU? They honestly seem like they've been nothing but trouble bundled up with a whole bunch of absurd demands and needs. You guys should kick their asses out.
Pages: 1 ... 284 285 [286] 287 288 ... 1393