Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751712 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4200 on: February 28, 2014, 03:09:44 pm »

It's not late, we're just starting!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: February 28, 2014, 04:56:50 pm »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: February 28, 2014, 05:25:03 pm »

:D airships.
Interesting, if they sell it at about 100 million dollars that's actually a fairly competitive price compared to commercial airliners, though frankly it doesn't seem like it's anywhere near as competitive in terms of speed and efficiency. I wonder exactly how fast it will move and how far it goes at specific weight loads.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »

They're planning to make a nonstop twice around the world trip with it as a advertisement stunt, so that's a pretty impressive range. As the airship doesn't rely on dynamic lift, but static lift, different load levels probably don't have a significant effect on range.

As for airspeed, probably somewhere between 100 and 200 km/h

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: February 28, 2014, 05:35:50 pm »

It's actually a mix of static and dynamic lift.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: February 28, 2014, 05:41:33 pm »

Oh, it's one of the hybrid ones.

Still, doesn't really matter. They arrange ballast and lifting gas in such a way that the amount of dynamic lift required to take care of any cargo is about the same.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: February 28, 2014, 06:23:47 pm »

There were a few independence-related tangents that occurred in my absence and unfortunately I was not there to respond to them. I will do so briefly:

I know that the SNP's plan B for currency is not perfect, that is why they are not arguing for it. They are arguing for plan A, the most sensible option at this time. That involves currency union, and though they haven't stated it, virtually everyone who favours a currency union is supportive of developing an independent currency at some point in the future.

As for EU membership - if the Spanish were to block Scotland from entering the EU, or stall things and make us reapply as an independent state outwith the EU or something, how would they deal with the countless Spanish fishermen currently in Scottish waters that would have to be expelled? Generally there aren't any states in the EU that would have such a problem with separatism that they would actually block Scotland, I will make that pronouncement. It is just not sensible for them economically.

Finally, regarding currency names, the de-facto name we are using is just the "Scottish pound" as was used pre-Union, or more accurately, the "Pound Scots". Other names that have been floated include the dollar, and more jokey-ones like the groat, bawbee etc. Old names for coins.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: February 28, 2014, 06:28:15 pm »

if the Spanish were to block Scotland from entering the EU, or stall things and make us reapply as an independent state outwith the EU or something, how would they deal with the countless Spanish fishermen currently in Scottish waters that would have to be expelled?
You presume the goverment cares overmuch about the plight of fishermen. Which is presuming a lot, considering the actions of both major parties during the last 4-5 years or so.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: February 28, 2014, 06:31:46 pm »

Well, maybe so, but there's also a lot of Spanish students and migrant workers in Scotland who would be in a very uncertain position. I doubt the Polish government would be happy with all of its migrant workers being expelled or god knows what. For every government that may have some kind of issue (I struggle to imagine who) there are others who would fight our corner.

There is really no precedent for this sort of thing besides maybe Greenland. It would be very foolish to try to block Scotland, the benefits just aren't worth it.

My personal preference for a coinage name is the Unicorn Scots.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:35:07 pm by Owlbread »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »

Spanish students and migrant workers are already in a very uncertain position. Our glorious president passed a law stating that anyone who stays more than 90 days outside the country loses healthcare cover. That's how much the goverment cares about the plight of migrant workers.  ::)

Nah, whether they block Scotland's entrance in the EU or not will not depend on that, but on what bigger players want. The guy's practically Merkel's pet. Whatever she says he will do.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: February 28, 2014, 06:39:01 pm »

I'm sure the good Mrs. Merkel will not have a problem with us. Scotland is a wealthy, small European nation in a strategic position that has been a part of the EU for just over 40 years. She wouldn't let petty concerns about separatism stand in our way.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: March 01, 2014, 03:33:42 am »

Well, it's not improbably that they'll make you sit through the application process again while keeping the existing agreements for the time being.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: March 01, 2014, 06:46:04 am »

Well, it's not improbably that they'll make you sit through the application process again while keeping the existing agreements for the time being.

Do you mean they may force Scotland to reapply from outwith the EU?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: March 01, 2014, 06:53:15 am »

I was under the impression that is the most likely outcome right now.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: March 01, 2014, 06:57:29 am »

I was under the impression that is the most likely outcome right now.

But I've already explained why it is not in their interests to do that. They should negotiate with Scotland during the interim period between September and 2016, then when we declare independence they can sort out the formalities within a few days.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 1393