Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751526 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4125 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »

I don't think most people in the USA think of the Scotch-Irish as a recognized thing.

Surely though in Appalachia it's extremely common for people to describe themselves as "Scotch-Irish"? Or is the presumption that to be Scotch-Irish is to be half Scottish, half Irish?
I've never encountered the term being used. Having Irish heritage in America is, as many frustrated Irish nationals will tell you, nearly ubiquitous among whites and even fairly common among non-whites now. It's barely even worth mentioning. Scottish heritage is a bit more rare but still not unusual. I've got both, though they're minor compared to my number of Swedish and German ancestors.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4126 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:40 pm »

I've never encountered the term being used. Having Irish heritage in America is, as many frustrated Irish nationals will tell you, nearly ubiquitous among whites and even fairly common among non-whites now. It's barely even worth mentioning. Scottish heritage is a bit more rare but still not unusual. I've got both, though they're minor compared to my number of Swedish and German ancestors.

I'm sure I've heard it in movies quite a bit. We never use the term in the UK though as we prefer "Ulster Scots", it's very much an American invention. If you tried to call a self-proclaimed Ulster Scot in 2014 "Scotch-Irish" he would be very, very unhappy. But apparently 5.4 million Americans identify as "Scotch-Irish" (6 million identify as having Scottish ancestry). Famous people in their ranks include Patton, Elvis, John McCain, Ulysses S. Grant, John Wayne, Andrew Jackson, Richard Nixon and Wyatt Earp.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:05:39 pm by Owlbread »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: February 18, 2014, 02:16:24 pm »

Honest question: why do people even care?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4128 on: February 18, 2014, 02:53:52 pm »

About having Scotch-Irish heritage you mean? Or about Switzerland?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: February 18, 2014, 02:55:43 pm »

Having a heritage in general.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4130 on: February 18, 2014, 03:03:40 pm »

Well now that's a very interesting question. Why is "heritage" so important to identity? What is identity if not heritage?

In some instances, notably in new-world states like America and Australia but also in the old world (e.g. UK, Germany, Netherlands etc) where immigration is influential, "heritage" is almost like the remnant of the old national identity carried by your ancestors.

When you become a citizen of a country that promises to recognise you unconditionally as one of its own regardless of your old nationality, you are likely to join up with "your own people" in that country and you will become a part of that community, divided from the other national/ethnic groups. In effect the old nations and old problems are carried with you.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:05:51 pm by Owlbread »

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: February 18, 2014, 03:11:35 pm »

That's one thing people are judged by, for better or worse. It also sets the standard for behaviour, how things have been done before, implying you would/should follow after that example. What else is culture but common shared heritage?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:58 pm »

I don't mean culture. I'm talking about cases where you and any living family member you know are 100% integrated and most have never even been in their supposed country of origin.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: February 18, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »

It's just a recognition of history. Most people trace their families back, but for the vast majority of New Worlders it usually isn't very long before we hit the point where they were immigrants. It's interesting to know how it all happened and eventually lead to your own existence.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: February 18, 2014, 03:38:05 pm »

If they draw similarities between themself and those left behind then they are not 100% integrated, and I think that's just fine. Speaking the language and knowing where they came from doesn't/shouldn't prevent them from participating in society where they live now, as long as they are not trying to live like they never left anywhere. If they don't speak the language or know first thing about the culture of the country they came from then they are just showing off, trying to be "special snowflakes".
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: February 18, 2014, 03:48:56 pm »

I often have the impression that New Worlders are much more interested in that kind of stuff than people are here on average. A lot of people just seem to assume that their ancestors have always lived roughly where they live now, even if that often isn't exactly true.

In Europe I guess people who are otherwise well-integrated and have no connection to their supposed homeland often cling to old identities if they are or perceive themselves as not fully accepted, because they look different for example. Also as a means of creating group identities and/or for reasons of individualism. If there are major cultural or religious differences and if it's just second or third generation immigrants, this is probably pretty normal.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: February 18, 2014, 06:39:07 pm »

If the scots do manage to break away, what are the chances that the IRA pops back up?
in a major way?
No we are unlikely to see any group gain there level of arms, man power or support.

but the fringe militants groups on all sides will continue to bomb, shoot, burn and brawl, just not on the scale of Bloody Friday.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: February 18, 2014, 08:06:09 pm »

I identify with the area my parents come from because the whole extended family lives there and all the family stories are from that place. And I identify with the area I grew up in, because I know that village and that town and take part in the traditions. And I identify with the city I live in now because it's just perfect and I love it - just like my whole family does~
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: February 19, 2014, 06:56:07 pm »

I can get behind this sentiment. I don't really get why people trace their family trees or get nationalistic or whatever. Most of your ancestors are dead and most western countries are pretty much the same culturally.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: February 19, 2014, 07:08:41 pm »

most western countries are pretty much the same culturally.
That part I disagree with. Not a reason to get nationalistic though.
Tracing your family tree is really interesting, at least if you're interested in history.
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 [276] 277 278 ... 1393