Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751390 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #4035 on: February 14, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

Seriously, why would anyone oppose this? Why would people want to make sure people have a long, undignified, painful death rather than the one of their choosing?
-Patients can often not be in their right mind when encountered with a disease or ailment that causes them great distress.
-Some people object to any doctors becoming involved in any death-dealing business.
-Patients could become distrustful of medical professionals if they can hold the authority to killing you, good death or no.
-Professionals can sometimes make the wrong call. Death cannot be undone.
-Doctors struggling with sparse resources could endorse euthanasia as a policy to save costs.
-Illnesses with 'no hope of recovery' today could be easily reversed with the cures of tomorrow.

Oh, and depression ain't a good enough cause. But if someone wants to die, why should we stop them?
Because people change their minds often, but death is so final.

I stand by letting people do whatever they damn please about their own particular life. You want to die, go die. Someone could change your mind and that would be fine, but forcing people to live against their will is also not much of a good thing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: February 14, 2014, 01:46:34 pm »

-Patients can often not be in their right mind when encountered with a disease or ailment that causes them great distress.
-Some people object to any doctors becoming involved in any death-dealing business.
-Patients could become distrustful of medical professionals if they can hold the authority to killing you, good death or no.
-Doctors struggling with sparse resources could endorse euthanasia as a policy to save costs.
-Illnesses with 'no hope of recovery' today could be easily reversed with the cures of tomorrow.
-That is why they are subject to psychiatric evaluation.
-I'm left wondering why they object.
-People still trust surgeons that need to make irreversible amputations.
-Cases that end in euthanasia are way past the point of there being a wrong call.
-Doctors aren't accountants. While they understand that they have finite resources, they are trained to use what they must and let the bean counters go from there.
-We are talking about cases so far progressed that even if a cure was found, chances are it wouldn't help anymore.

This isn't a case of "You can cancer, we can kill you later today." but rather "All of your vital organs have ceased to function, the pain you are experiencing is going to become intolerable, we are going to have to sedate you until death, here are your last options."

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: February 14, 2014, 02:08:04 pm »

Hence the psychological evaluation.

Why?

They don't have the authority to kill you, euthanasia has to start with a request by the patient.

Again, responsibility come from the patient.

Again, doctor don't have the authority to kill.

Cures don't come into being overnight we're talking about seriously sick people here.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: February 14, 2014, 04:10:43 pm »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: February 14, 2014, 04:13:49 pm »

Russia becomes even more anti-American
I'm not sure I'm completely adverse to that though... I may be going off misinformation here, but aren't those in general considered a bad thing for the children?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: February 14, 2014, 04:16:21 pm »

I assume so too, yes? Not entirely sure why you think I don't agree with the potential ban.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: February 14, 2014, 04:19:00 pm »

if that is anti-americanism i'm not sure if i'm particularly pro-america myself

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: February 14, 2014, 04:20:51 pm »

I assume so too, yes? Not entirely sure why you think I don't agree with the potential ban.
I don't know, because it is Russia, specifically their right wing conservatives doing it? They're the baddies, right? Right?
What I would do if it turned out I couldn't just stereotype political persuasions into good and evil?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: February 14, 2014, 04:21:25 pm »

I think LordSlowSpoke is anti-Irony.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: February 14, 2014, 08:01:47 pm »

I don't know, because it is Russia, specifically their right wing conservatives doing it? They're the baddies, right? Right?
What I would do if it turned out I couldn't just stereotype political persuasions into good and evil?

You can though in certain instances. It's indisputable that the Tories in Scotland/UK whether red or blue are the devil incarnate and the SNP are the Tartan messiahs sent by God, who is obviously on Scotland's side.

Just take a look at what hyper-Christian ultra-baptist extraordinaire John Mason SNP MSP had to say about it at Christmas time:

Quote from: John Mason, MSP for Glasgow Shettleston
“I would maintain there is no one Christian line to take on Scottish independence,” he writes. “However, there is a principle from the time of the Tower of Babel that God split the peoples up as too much centralisation was a potentially a dangerous thing. So it could be argued that we should be wary of larger national units and supportive of smaller ones.”

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: February 14, 2014, 08:09:11 pm »

Actually I would disagree and throw support behind larger national units, as opposed to smaller independent ones, on the condition that everybody within that unit is treated equally. The setup within the UK is somewhat lopsided and exploitative, but it doesn't mean all nations unions have to be that way. After all I imagine independent Scotland would be looking to join the EU, right?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:31 pm »

We would indeed, and we'd be more pro-active about it than the UK is currently although we probably wouldn't accept the loss of our national independence again. You never know though, I heard once very depressingly that independence is an old man's dream (not from a Scot, I read it in an article about Africa, but still). Maybe our descendents will see things that way.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: February 14, 2014, 08:24:02 pm »

Well then, every time somebody says you are 'Better together' and gain 'Strength through Unity' you can wholeheartedly agree, and that is why you must leave the UK to be a more active part of the much larger EU.  :P

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: February 14, 2014, 08:48:39 pm »

German press is slowly catching up on Scottish Independence beyond "this might be happening". Just read today that the UK doesn't want to share the pound...

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: February 14, 2014, 08:51:22 pm »

Yes. I have been watching this like a hawk, but I am waiting for the SNP to go on the counter offensive before I give a response. I could take a stab at it but I'd rather wait this through for a bit to see where we stand.
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 1393