Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1751050 times)

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3930 on: February 10, 2014, 01:51:14 pm »

Why should a piece of paper determine whether you can move across an imaginary line? There should be no barriers, no laws, no mechanisms that privilege a small group while hurting all others. It should not matter whether you were born a few kilometers to the north or to the south.

MUST... RESIST... LIBERAL VIEWS...
The imaginary lines and papers exist for a reason, humans are naturaly selfish blah blah blah someone is going to sum it up better than me.
IF there was a way to achieve what you want without hive mind, I would totally agree with you.
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3931 on: February 10, 2014, 03:35:01 pm »

Same education standards all over the globe, no trade barriers plus the right to go wherever you like? That should just about do it. Of course dem furreiners is taking our jubs!!1!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3932 on: February 10, 2014, 03:37:13 pm »

-dem 504's is taking our jubs!!1!-
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:38:48 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3933 on: February 10, 2014, 03:56:55 pm »

all this talk about taking jobs reminds me that i should find something to equate you guys to, given you're eager to lump in everyone who shares that opinion with rednecks

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3934 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »

Hey, we're smarter than that with our prejudices. We can tell rednecks from nazis from fundies from baby-eater!

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3935 on: February 10, 2014, 04:20:23 pm »

all this talk about taking jobs reminds me that i should find something to equate you guys to, given you're eager to lump in everyone who shares that opinion with rednecks
Arr yurh terkung erw johwrbzs?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3936 on: February 10, 2014, 04:25:42 pm »

I'm kind of ambivalent about the EU. On the one hand, good on you guys for managing to stop killing each other and everyone else. Seriously, good show, well done, have a cookie.

On the other, Europe is a fairly diverse place, and the EU seems to hate that, what with it's one-size-fits-all laws and regulations. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3937 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:35 pm »

I was talking about why my proposal wouldn't work; I wasn't trying to insult Kicior, y'know?

Anyway, you could look at the slurs the pre-45 communists and fascists used - 'cosmopolitan' comes to mind. The only problem is, that's not exactly an insult any more...

FAKEEDIT: Descan, these regulations mostly are about being able to trade across the continent - Germany's a very diverse place as well, and nobody* is complaining about Berlin's one-size-fits-all laws...

*Nobody significant, at least. Except Seehofer, but he doesn't count.
The Bay12 postcard club

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3938 on: February 10, 2014, 04:40:53 pm »

Well, the thing I had in mind is that case in Sweden about them being disease-free in cows or some such livestock, and the regulations forcing their market open, letting in diseases they'd escaped.

I could be wrong about the details, and that could have been an abnormal situation.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3939 on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »

Only thing I found with some relevance is that the EU criticized Sweden's BSE(Mad cow's disease) testing program, because historically, there have been no infections there.

That was an article dating back to 2001, however.

Edit: On a side note, some of you might remember that EU ruling that software should be resellable. Well, apparently games aren't software because they contain audiovisual elements, and therefore don't need to be resellable:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 04:52:51 pm by 10ebbor10 »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3940 on: February 10, 2014, 04:52:08 pm »

in theory, it's fine, but as much as i hate to put the infodumps that i keep getting from that one guy who at some point i learned was polish and is still talking about the goddamn birdhouses from time to time to use it's relatively common for f.ex. west africans to come to locations such as krakow, woo women (or men, depends on gender) marry them and leave a week after with a sweet polish passport that grants entry to western europe

which is a pretty damn good deal actually, i'd do it if i were west african too

also this is the point where after mentioning the birdhouses i keep being bothered with again i would like to ask if birdhouses are sort of euphemism or politically charged issue in poland this shit is ridiculous
This sounds interesting, care to elaborate? :P I have never heard of birdhouses in this context. The most serious issue with Africans I remember was the case of "anti racist" activist (titled "anti-fascist of the year" in 2003 :P) who infected women with HIV.

yes i were meant to respond to this

the birdhouses aren't in context they're just slapped on top of everything like the fucker's a birdhouse otaku

hence me asking, is this an actual thing that happens

i do find that infecting people with hiv is a far more serious issue than bypassing naturalization laws so pass on that

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3941 on: February 10, 2014, 04:57:11 pm »

While I would like to agree with Helgoland here, I have to point out that complete "no trade barriers" approach is what's causing much problems in both western and developing countries. Since international corporations get to run free in africa and asia (USA and friends will make sure of that) and dominate the markets there won't develop large and lasting middle class that could kickstart locally owned/financed economy same way that happened here. Cheap labor and raw materials will attract industry (read: jobs) away from west and leave unemployment and instability behind. Pretty much only third world country that avoided ending as massive production centre for our consumption is China, and look how that ended up...

If you just remove borders jobs will drift to where there are people so poor they have no options but to do them no mater how dangerous or poorly paid it is. And those with money/connections will leave for purer air as soon as they can. Divided society, even without borders. Not a world I want to live in.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3942 on: February 10, 2014, 05:09:09 pm »

I do know that in the gay community, there are people on both sides. Guys who actively try and infect people, as some sort of sick "mission", and guys who actively try and get infected, seeing it as inevitable and wanting to get it over with. I think they're called "gift-givers" and "bug-chasers" respectively.

I do not see why this would be a purely gay-people-only phenomenon, at least in the "gift-givers" point of view.

Fakeedit: It's possible that the "gift-givers" are not people who do it to unsuspecting blokes, but rather they're the term for HIV+ guys who comply with the "bugchasers" wishes. Though, because humans, I'm sure there are HIV+ guys who do it criminally anyway. And it IS against the law, though I think only to sleep with someone without disclosing your status. If they know and still go through, I think it's legal. Could be wrong.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3943 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »

I do know that in the gay community, there are people on both sides. Guys who actively try and infect people, as some sort of sick "mission", and guys who actively try and get infected, seeing it as inevitable and wanting to get it over with. I think they're called "gift-givers" and "bug-chasers" respectively.

I do not see why this would be a purely gay-people-only phenomenon, at least in the "gift-givers" point of view.

Fakeedit: It's possible that the "gift-givers" are not people who do it to unsuspecting blokes, but rather they're the term for HIV+ guys who comply with the "bugchasers" wishes. Though, because humans, I'm sure there are HIV+ guys who do it criminally anyway. And it IS against the law, though I think only to sleep with someone without disclosing your status. If they know and still go through, I think it's legal. Could be wrong.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3944 on: February 10, 2014, 05:34:24 pm »

-snip-
That's why I'm in favor of a slow transition - gradual reduction of trade and movement barriers coupled with political change in developing nations. One vital item on this agenda is the creation of unions in those countries, giving workers a stronger bargaining position and generally changing the political system to that of an open society.
However, we certainly won't get there without the free trade bit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 261 262 [263] 264 265 ... 1393