Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750604 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3780 on: February 07, 2014, 06:34:02 am »

It is easier to have a democracy in a small country than a large one.[1] Maybe not immediately, but an independent Scotland could lead to the eventual complete break-up of the union into a collection of smaller states or at least a much looser confederation. It's not the be-all-and-end-all, it won't solve all problems,[2] but it's a shuffling step towards greater political self-determination.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: February 07, 2014, 12:12:11 pm »

Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: February 07, 2014, 01:00:49 pm »

Watching the Olympic opening ceremony. What can I say?
USSR2

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: February 07, 2014, 01:29:44 pm »

Yeah, like that. Russian Civil war? Naaaah. WWII? A short cutscene is enough. Nineties? What are nineties you are speaking of?

And I just turned on the TV and switched to Channnel One. It made me sick, seriously. Commentator is definetly high on something strong.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: February 07, 2014, 01:44:51 pm »

Sickle and hammer at The Olympic Games is something I expected never expected to see. Even from Russians. I was wrong.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: February 07, 2014, 01:46:57 pm »

Missed that very moment. Where was it?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: February 07, 2014, 02:07:27 pm »

There was one in the city construction part in the background, I'm pretty sure. It was hardly the center of the piece, there were other historical motifs in the background with it.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: February 07, 2014, 02:13:57 pm »

Okay then.

Anyway, I don't see what is so bad about it. Soviet Union is still a part of our history, and it is a significant part. Whatever one's opinion is, there is no sense in denying it. So, let it be sickle and hammer glancing for once.
Sigs

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: February 07, 2014, 02:22:26 pm »

Soviet Union is still a part of our history,
I hardly imagine swastika if next Olympics would be in Germany....

Whatever.
According to the official site Ukrainian athletes are from.... RUSSIA:
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-andriy-deryzemlya
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-olena-pidhrushna
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-vita-semerenko
http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-juliya-dzhyma

And so on...

All have stuff like: Place of residence: Sumy*, Russian Federation
*Ukrainian city

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: February 07, 2014, 02:32:24 pm »

Hmmm... So I take it they didn't have one or two Circassians riding around in the background on horseback? You know, just to give a bit of recognition to the people who lived in that land for around 4000 years only to be cleansed/massacred and sent into exile in the last 200?

I mean, maybe a name dropped here and there or something... anything...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:34:28 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: February 07, 2014, 02:37:02 pm »

snip
Update:

That's true for other guys, too. We have Russian cities like
Lillehammer - http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-carl-johan-bergman
or
Lake Placid - http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-lowell-bailey

Hmmm... So I take it they didn't have one or two Circassians riding around in the background on horseback? You know, just to give a bit of recognition to the people who lived in that land for around 4000 years only to be cleansed/massacred and sent into exile in the last 200?

I mean, maybe a name dropped here and there or something... anything...
SUDDENLY: no
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:39:51 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: February 07, 2014, 02:45:02 pm »

So they didn't show anything Circassian at all? Their music is quite nice, maybe they could have at least incorporated that.

But this all seems a bit like the English conquering Scotland in the early 1800s, building a coastal city in East Lothian then in 2014 they make no reference to Scotland when they hold the Olympic Games there.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 02:46:36 pm by Owlbread »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: February 07, 2014, 02:51:09 pm »

Russia is huge, compared to England, though. How many nations are in UK, 5? Russia has more than one hundred.
._.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: February 07, 2014, 03:00:23 pm »

Russia is huge, compared to England, though. How many nations are in UK, 5? Russia has more than one hundred.

That just makes it even worse.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: February 07, 2014, 03:49:02 pm »

Above everything else Russia is a federation and in any kind of Olympic ceremony it should have been focused on the region non on the country.

BTW, name Russian Federation sounds just as good as... hmmmm.... renaming Great Britain to Great England. Exactly because it has hundred+ nationalities.
Pages: 1 ... 251 252 [253] 254 255 ... 1393