Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749398 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3375 on: January 19, 2014, 07:05:09 pm »

Yep, It's Kiev. That stream is one of the better sources of information
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3376 on: January 19, 2014, 07:26:40 pm »

Protesters are on the offence now with molotov cocktails.

This is (literally) awesome :v

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: January 19, 2014, 07:29:23 pm »

Awesome, within its traditional definition, would be fitting.
How strong is nearby police presence? Is this suppressible, or is the military going to be called in?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: January 19, 2014, 07:42:22 pm »

Oh, there are thousands and thousands of them, and more are coming from all directions. But now I am optimistic toward protesters (I think rebels will soon be a more fitting word) holding to the morning.

Police is using everything barring gunfire now - rubber bullets, stun grenades, water cannons (In January at night!) but that's not helping them much.
As for the army. Doubt that it will happen, in Ukraine we have two times more police than armed forces so if they'll choose to use gunfire - police will do it
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: January 19, 2014, 07:48:50 pm »

Any info on whether the protesters (or parts of them) are armed?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: January 19, 2014, 07:49:48 pm »

I'm not particularly fond of angry crowds with fire-making abilities. Especially directed fire.

I don't think this will be dissipating personally. There was already very strong, willful resistance; and violence is both a catalyst and a unifier.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: January 19, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »

There were definitely some armed guys walking around in that live feed, and I saw several people throw petrol bombs. I only watched for about 10 minutes.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3382 on: January 19, 2014, 08:00:07 pm »

Simple answer: no there are no groups armed with anything more severe than Molotov's or fireworks.

If you asking if we have weapons in reserve in case if the situation will go this nasty way....
Well, Ukraine is a corrupt country with a dirt poor army  and huge stockpiles of weapons from Soviet era. And some people here prepared for a situation like this for years

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: January 19, 2014, 08:15:22 pm »

If they are armed then they aren't armed nearly enough because they probably have hunting weapons and some antiquated guns from WW2 that might explode in their hands instead of working.
And that's IF they are armed in the first place.

Quite honestly i don't see a bright future for ukraine right now because even if the protesters get ran over by tanks UE won't put their shit together in time even if they had a warning 1 year in advance.
And even if they pull their things together then what are they supposed to do?
Economic sanctions?
Nope that will bring Ukraine even closer to russia.
Military intervention?
Are you serious?
And even if NATO rolled into Ukraine with thanks you have the problem called Putin and Russia friends of peace and children worldwide yelling about their nukes.

Basically no matter how i look at Ukraine i have the distinct feeling that it's either fucked or going to have a wonderful one sided relationship with Russia.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: January 19, 2014, 08:25:30 pm »

If they are armed then they aren't armed nearly enough because they probably have hunting weapons and some antiquated guns from WW2 that might explode in their hands instead of working.
And that's IF they are armed in the first place.
Those - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saiga_semi-automatic_rifle hunting weapons aren't that bad :))) That's what you can buy legally in Ukraine if you first buy a hunting license (easy to do with a modest bribe)

What you can buy illegally is more interesting, of cause.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: January 19, 2014, 08:30:39 pm »

How is the local media reacting? Are they reporting on this at all?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: January 19, 2014, 08:31:59 pm »

How is the local media reacting? Are they reporting on this at all?
Two rather minor channels, all others pretend that nothing serious is happening

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: January 19, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »

It really is interesting to see how different news sources throughout the world report slightly differently...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: January 20, 2014, 05:34:07 am »

I love to get wrong about strength of my nation. I was rather sure that it will be dispersed by morning and we'll have more underground kind of resistance
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 1393