Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749339 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3360 on: January 19, 2014, 06:05:50 pm »

Everybody needs some things they'd gladly die for, don't you agree?
Nah, not really. If the intent is to do something of worth -- to benefit, change, or maintain something -- you are much better served living than dying. 'Tis a terrible waste to die for something. Better to live for it.
Die if it need be, of course. When given the option of sacrificing themselves to save their children, what percentage of parents do you think would do it? It's the same with political issues. Don't become a martyr to become a martyr, but be prepared for the possibility.

I guess this whole war-readiness comes from being sick with compromise and bad solutions - wipe the slate clean! The blood we can wash off later.

I'd rather live in a police state than in democracy, if it guarantees safety from any inner or outer threats.
You see. Domesticated pig have much safer and more comfortable life than a wild one but....
Никто не даст нам избавленья:
Ни бог, ни царь и не герой!
Добьёмся мы освобожденья
Своею собственной рукой.
Чтоб свергнуть гнёт рукой умелой,
Отвоевать своё добро, —
Вздувайте горн и куйте смело,
Пока железо горячо!

Damn ninjas.. It's a question of principle, Dutchling! The worst wars are alway fought over the worst places.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:56:46 am by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: January 19, 2014, 06:07:12 pm »

Turkey hasn't split, Egypt didn't split, the UK has yet to split and most spectacularly of all the USA hasn't split, so there is strong precedent that Ukraine will stay together, but we will see...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: January 19, 2014, 06:07:59 pm »

Yeah, why would anyone wage a world war over the Ukraine o.o?
Hotheads in the American, EU and Russian governments failing to stop escalating the situation, perhaps?

Turkey hasn't split, Egypt didn't split, the UK has yet to split and most spectacularly of all the USA hasn't split, so there is strong precedent that Ukraine will stay together, but we will see...
The problem is that unlike those countries you have mentioned, two conflicting regions of Ukraine can't stand each other and want Ukraine to go in radically different political directions.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 06:10:51 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: January 19, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »

And why an assassination of Austrio-Hungarian archduke emerged to World War? The answer is: AMBITIONS!

According to Guardian's theory, it's time to get supplied by canned food and start digging down in bunkers.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: January 19, 2014, 06:16:23 pm »

I don't think most of the world is willing to fuck itself over Ukraine that much G.I.
So the worst case scenario would be SO all over again, with lots of big frowns but nobody actually willing to do anything about it since it's just not worth it.

E: Ninjas, damn me and my constant multitasking!
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: January 19, 2014, 06:16:49 pm »

The blood we can wash off later.
Has that... ever actually worked? Last I checked, we're (humans as a whole) still doing stupid shit largely because of crap that happened back in WWI (just as an example). Blood takes a long time to wash off. Usually a lot longer than those that want to spill it realize :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: January 19, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »

And why an assassination of Austrio-Hungarian archduke emerged to World War? The answer is: AMBITIONS!
Preeeety sure it was the heir that got killed. And that war was going to happen regardless, which is not something you can say right now.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: January 19, 2014, 06:21:02 pm »

Frumple: Seen the king of France lately? To put at a faux-poetic way: The wheel of progress is greased with blood.
And for anyone who wants to point out that blood makes for horrible grease: Exactly.

And IIRC it was the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the throne. You're both right.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: January 19, 2014, 06:22:18 pm »

And to further discuss the whole WW3 over Ukraine thing. I don't think that it's likey mostly because the major powers of the world aren't the same as they were a hundred years ago. Large powers don't really go to war for ideological reasons anymore, no matter how hard they might try and make everyone believe that they do. And Ukraine isn't really important enough strategically nor politically (no offense to the Ukranian folks) to warrant a shitstorm that would be caused by a NATO-Russia conflict.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: January 19, 2014, 06:22:43 pm »

And IIRC it was the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the heir to the throne. You're both right.
>.>
<.<
>.>

I seriously hate every noble with a title that is not the head of (a) state.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: January 19, 2014, 06:27:58 pm »

According to Guardian's theory, it's time to get supplied by canned food and start digging down in bunkers.
Well, war will occur if things get really, really shitty.
Maybe there won't be World War III, maybe there won't be any armed conflict at all, maybe Ukraine can miraculously manage to join EU without encountering problems like losing most of its industrial sector (a feat that Baltic states and former Warsaw Pact states couldn't achieve) or join the Customs Union without pissing off Galicia and Volhynia (extremely unlikely)... Anything can happen.

I'm sure that if war begins in Ukraine, Belarus will have to deal with refugees trying to get in - we're close and relatively friendly to Ukraine and Ukrainians. My hometown is located close to Polish and Ukrainian borders, so I'll get to see a lot of Western Ukrainians or, if shit hits the fan, invading NATO troops in the streets.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: January 19, 2014, 06:28:07 pm »

Or Serbia, even?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: January 19, 2014, 06:31:11 pm »

Or Serbia, even?
That was was going to happen regardless of even the existence of Serbia...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: January 19, 2014, 06:31:37 pm »

If Ukraine joins the EU, sooner or later it'll encounter the same economic problems that plague other Eastern European EU member states, like high unemployment caused by closure of 'ineffective' factories. If it happens, Western Ukrainians will probably just shrug it off and go seeking jobs in Poland or Germany, but the staunchly pro-Russian Southeast Ukraine with its industrial centres will be hit hard, resulting in social unrest and rapid rise of separatist sentiment among the Russian population. And if the Ukrainian government decides to keep the Southeast from seceding by force, it'll definitely lead to insurgency and civil war.
Nonsense. You know why? One needs IDEA to fight for. Fighting for not being a cattle is a one thing, Fighting because "we think that with Russia our economic state will be better" is absolutely another. People who are agreeing to live under Yanukovich will agree to live under any government
Besides any such insurgency is impossible without active Russian support... Messing with EU member in that way would be a bad, bad idea for Russia. I hope you understand why?

Also, Eastern Ukrainian youth is quite pro-EU, they may dislike Ukrainian idea, but they want western standards  of life. And standards of life here are not money, but damned rights.   
I have one good friend from Donetsk with position - let's split and go in EU as two different friendly countries.
And no one said that we can't go Belgium... It was said that they will split right after the country was formed but they are not in rush

Oh, and your economic theories are so ridiculous, but I don't want to argue about mighty Belorussian economics and crisis in Poland again
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: January 19, 2014, 07:00:47 pm »

Live stream of Ukranian shizzle, presumably in Kiev.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:04:52 pm by Dutchling »
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 1393