Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1749684 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #3210 on: January 13, 2014, 04:47:21 pm »

* Descan is waiting for tower-agriculture in cities to take root.

:I

WE SHALL LIVE IN SELF-SUSTAINING ARCOLOGIES IN THE FUTURE!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: January 13, 2014, 04:49:14 pm »

Could somebody calculate the necessary energy-conversion efficiency for that? I doubt it's viable...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: January 13, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »

I'm doubtful that there is enough area on the roof of a building to support the number of people living in there, especially for very tall structures, but we can hope... I guess a lot more shopping centers and office blocks is the future?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: January 13, 2014, 04:51:38 pm »

I'm doubtful that there is enough area on the roof of a building to support the number of people living in there, especially for very tall structures, but we can hope... I guess a lot more shopping centers and office blocks is the future?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical_farming
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: January 13, 2014, 04:57:59 pm »

But then you're using a massive amount of power feeding those plants.

It's usually easier and cheaper to just use solar power on the fields rather then building the fields of solar panels
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: January 13, 2014, 04:58:00 pm »

Yeah, it's not "Stick some gardens on the roof tops and call it a day", it's engineering an entire structure so each level gets sunlight (I'm a fan of mirrors, personally. Might need supplemental light, though), water and food, and farming on it. Stacking your fields up, rather than out.

'Course, it might well be extremely energy intensive and need like, fusion-power or something. Solar satellites or something.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:59:55 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: January 13, 2014, 04:59:06 pm »

crops powered by fusion.

bring on the science!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: January 13, 2014, 04:59:33 pm »

The point is to have entire vertical structures that are solely farms. Point is, you need about 0.5 hectare per meter. 1 hectare = 0.01 square km.  Densest inhabited cities have population numbers of up to 20.000 per square km.

So, per km² you need 100 km² of agricultural soil. So if you manage to install 100 floor skyscrapers on top of everything else, you're fine.

Note, areal land needed based on American estimates. High intensity farming probably has far higher production.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: January 13, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »

Huh, that's the first reasonable argument I've heard for small farms.
Not the employment one, the productivity one - as technology and society advance, increases in efficiency and the job losses that go with it are beneficial for society as a whole. The clothing we wear is machine-made, and nobody would try and change that now, for example.

Hey Owlbread, could you do the Wahl-O-Mat? Google Translate might be useful ;)

2009 Bundestagswahl: https://www.wahl-o-mat.de/bundestagswahl2013/

Thank you very much sir. I compared my views with the main Bundestag parties and found that I was closest to Die Linke (73%), then SPD (64%), then the Greens (64%), then FDP (46%), then CDU/CSU (31%). I could check other specific parties if need be. I did check a few more out of interest and found out I had 69% in common with NDP (!) but 71% in common with the Pirates, then the highest of all was PSG (Social Equality Party) at 76%. MLPD were at 71% then the Violets were at 71%. Die Frauen were at 73%, same as Die Partei.

2009 European elections (ENGLISH!): https://www.wahl-o-mat.de/europa2009/main_app.php?sprache=1&womeuropa2009=367f22c112fa61cf5aa5f5ba1cf15f1d&servername=www.wahl-o-mat.de

Of the EU parties offered for comparison in this poll, I am closest to Die Linke then the Greens, then the SPD, FDP, CDU, CSU. There are however a number of issues I disagreed with the top three on however, such as on GM crops (of which I am in favour) and a smoking ban (which I am against).

I did not add any weighting to my decisions. I seem to be ranking very high in these surveys among the Far Left.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 05:51:15 pm by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: January 13, 2014, 05:52:03 pm »

But hey! I support Scottish independence. I really do :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: January 13, 2014, 05:56:03 pm »

Don't worry, my hatred is not particularly strong. It's just a little bit of a pang every now and then, nothing that will come between us in our mutual pursuit of national freedom.

I'm joking of course, there's no problem.

But yes, your comparison was not too surprising. The BNP share many platforms with Svoboda, although the Tories are amusingly high there.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: January 13, 2014, 06:05:44 pm »

I did not add any weighting to my decisions. I seem to be ranking very high in these surveys among the Far Left.
Go see a doctor, you might have communism  ;D. Die Linke is a party I don't have much good to say about, while I guess you are pretty left-leaning, they might be too ideologically nostalgic for you.

Actually I think the weighting helps to get more accurate results, if I don't do that my results can be weird too.

Then of course some statements relate to specific German issues in that specific election, so you might not know the context for some. (For example IIRC there was a question about public health insurance, which might sound like "everybody should have health insurance" to you, but was actually about completely abolishing private health insurance. There are quite a few others like that).

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: January 13, 2014, 06:15:35 pm »

Actually, I think he's just being grouped with fringe views - MLPD (Marxist-Leninist Party of Germany), Die Linke, NPD (neo-Nazis) and Violets (down-and-out crazies, rooting for "spiritual politics" and a "new age of crystals" or something) all coming in at 70%? That's not all about being left.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: January 13, 2014, 06:25:40 pm »

Yeah, but there are some statements that - with all weighted equal - will immediately put you to the extreme fringes, like "Germany should leave the NATO" or the one about bans on parties opposed to the constitution.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: January 13, 2014, 06:34:33 pm »

For the German parties in the more expansive poll, I wasn't terribly close to anyone, but the top ones were the FDP, REP, Pirates, and Volkstabsitmmung. A bit closer to reality than the other poll, I think.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 1393