Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1750299 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Politics Megathread
« Reply #2970 on: January 05, 2014, 04:32:37 pm »

Good luck Scotland! If you don't get independence now it is very possible that people will become more apathetic towards the issue, and you are going to have a lot of trouble rallying the troops then. Fight hard, move fast, and assume you are the in the minority. It is the only way to gain political traction.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: January 05, 2014, 04:34:05 pm »

That's exactly why I have thrown my weight behind this now, Max. I know that if we vote No this time I'll be a middle aged man by the time we get another credible chance, if not older. Now is the time.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: January 05, 2014, 04:53:16 pm »

If you fuck this up, Owlbread, I'm gonna poke you with a stick. >:I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: January 05, 2014, 04:55:16 pm »

If you fuck this up, Owlbread, I'm gonna poke you with a stick. >:I

I tried to say something along those likes to Alex Salmond when I met him but it came out more as a burbled thank you for everything he's doing. Cat got my tongue and I was unnerved by the enormous size of his hands and that was that.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: January 05, 2014, 04:58:20 pm »

Enormous hands? How big?

He might have a case of yaoi hands.

* kaijyuu [/offtopic]
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: January 05, 2014, 05:00:59 pm »

I really hope you're going to win, if only because change is fun. Plus I'm not a big fan of the UK's influence in the EU, so anything that weaken them is good.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: January 05, 2014, 05:04:19 pm »

Enormous hands? How big?

He might have a case of yaoi hands.

* kaijyuu [/offtopic]

Yeah his hands are like that, but it was like placing my hands on enormous pillows. They're like Hagrid's hands.

I really hope you're going to win, if only because change is fun. Plus I'm not a big fan of the UK's influence in the EU, so anything that weaken them is good.

That was basically my original reason for wanting to vote Yes as soon as I became aware of the cause, but of course since then my views have become more concrete.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 05:07:38 pm by Owlbread »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: January 05, 2014, 05:16:42 pm »

I want the Yes to win because I want my Gaelic empire to come to fruition, and the freedom of the Gael and Scot speaking population is but the first step!

Alba os uile!

Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: January 05, 2014, 05:20:59 pm »

I want the Yes because then hopefully England will finally stop sending us their Scottish convicts. Also when you are done would you mind campaigning for Irish independence too?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: January 05, 2014, 05:25:56 pm »

Damn it, pulling me out of my leave-of-absence again. I wish you luck Owlbread.
Even if it's a majority of just 1% it doesn't matter how many members of the electorate bothered to vote.
This bothers me a bit. When the American colonies voted to declare independence, the measure was required to be unanimous (as in, a majority of delegates from each state vote yes). A quote from Movie/Musical 1776 explains the sentiment as "That no colony be torn from its mother country without its own consent".

I'm not saying that you require some specific percentage of the population or something to declare independence, but I don't like the idea of such a change based on the beliefs of very small, principled minority over an even smaller minority. If only a small number if Scottish support independence, can you really say you speak for them more then Britain?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: January 05, 2014, 05:38:11 pm »

The trouble is though that the people who make all of our decisions, take us to war, choose our welfare system and so on are elected on that basis where tiny margins are all that matters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: January 05, 2014, 05:41:31 pm »

The problem is that it is very hard to convince people that compulsory voting is good... The people who don't vote tend to just not care.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: January 05, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »

Then do it American-style: Not compulsory voting, but incentive voting. Don't punish someone for NOT voting, reward them FOR voting. A small monetary gift, a tax break, etc.

Up in Canada, we have a third-party group called Elections Canada that handles the vote, they don't answer to anyone but the public. Corruption would be minimized.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: January 05, 2014, 05:48:22 pm »

People should be aware that tiny margins do matter, so if you're not voting it's kind of hypocritical to complain after the fact.
I would expect though that interest will rise and the number of undecided people will shrink as the vote comes closer.

I personnally wouldn't be upset either way, since I have no personal stakes in it and I don't really feel strongly convinced about either possible outcome. I'm generally a sceptic and I'm not sure what the best course of action would be for a)Scotland, b)the UK and c) the rest of Europe.
Both sides have good arguments and it seems a lot depends on factors that are a bit difficult to predict.

I for one would like to see the UK taking a more pro-active role in the EU, just because it would counterbalance some things and it would be good to have some sceptics among all the blind enthusiasts that run the EU now. Whether Scottish Independence would influence that in any way (as I have speculated before) I don't know.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: January 05, 2014, 05:53:08 pm »

What do you mean about "blind enthusiasm"?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 1393